ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Eric Crsoby Latest Before Decision***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, tomorrow is a day many of you have looked forward to for some time. Ocean Lakes (Va.) four-star DT Eric Crosby will announce at 3 pm tomorrow, at his school for either VT or Tennessee. Our friend Matt Hatfield from VirginiaPreps.com will be there for live updates.

But on the night before, I wanted to pass on some info. I've made a number of calls, from VT staff sources to sources at Tennessee and in the 757. Here's the latest:

First off, it's important to note that the new coach at Ocean Lakes, Joe Jones, is a VT alum. And our sources in Tidewater have told us that Jones has indicated that Crosby will pick the Hokies. Jones will be at VT’s spring game Saturday and has told our sources that Crosby will be "somewhere" Saturday before going to Charlotte Sunday for the Nike camp. Why would Jones go to VT's spring game and not take Crosby?

It's important also to note that Jones is in no way steering Crosby one way or the other. But Jones has had a few players from his last school, King's Fork, go to VT, most recently Chuck Clark. Also, Crosby is very tight with Tre Hubbard, who will be walking on this fall with the Hokies. I can tell you for a fact that Hubbard has long been in Crosby's ear and that will play a factor.

I've spoken to VT staff sources, who told me they "feel pretty good" about the chances with Crosby. I'm told that Crosby spoke this morning with coach Justin Fuente, defensive coordinator Bud Foster and assistant coaches Zohn Burden and Charley Wiles. The feeling I'm told they got is that Crosby was "bubbly" which they took as a very good sign.

I spoke to sources at Tennessee, who told me the Vols staff is "cautiously optimistic" about Crosby. My source told me that Crosby's mom talked to Vol for Life, which supports current and former players, academic counselors and face timed yesterday with Tennessee's DL coach who told her that he was losing sleep over Crosby. My source said Crosby's mom told him, ‘Oh hush coach, you’re gonna be fine.”

I also heard for the first time tonight that it's a strong possibility that Crosby's mom could be moving back to Texas, where the family was before moving to Virginia Beach for work. The family livednear San Antonio, as his dad is a military contractor, before they moved to Norfolk.

I'm told by both sides that Crosby has not told either VT or Tennessee of his decision. Again, I've said it before, but I think Crosby's commitment will go up to signing day, no matter who he chooses tomorrow.

As always, I'll pass on anything else I come across to you guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News