ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA - UNC

leeanderthal

Hokie Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2006
The NCAA has waited well over a year to make final decisions regarding punishment on some cases. If they do that with the UNC case after dragging it out forever to get this far, what do you think the reaction is going to be by the public in general and the world of sports in particular.

Football and basketball will be unaffected. Tennis, golf, track and other non revenue sports will be hit the hardest just to teach them a lesson.

The Cheats will be one of the favorites to make the Final 4 next year so I can see them pulling out all the stalling tactics they can muster. Basketball trumps academics, integrity, and anything else.

I personally believe that the NCAA will not issue any punishment to UNC until after the BB playoffs . There are BB players at UNC that had no part in the evil deeds of UNC that could be hurt career wise if they are not allowed to compete. Punishment after the playoffs, then those guys are gone and players left have time to make other arrangements if they choose.
UNC has 90 days to answer the charges from the NCAA. Then the NCAA has (I think) about 50 to 60 days to respond to UNC but that can be delayed by the NCAA . Even after the NCAA responds, the two parties get back together and the results of that meeting can be drawn out for the normal parry and thrust.
The NCAA is up against it on this one. They could easily become a nonentity (Which I have predicted) if this is mishandled.
As to Syracuse ,they punished themselves but where were they going anyway. They didn't have the team to be in the playoffs so no big deal.

I personally believe that the NCAA will not issue any punishment to UNC until after the BB playoffs . There are BB players at UNC that had no part in the evil deeds of UNC that could be hurt career wise if they are not allowed to compete. Punishment after the playoffs, then those guys are gone and players left have time to make other arrangements if they choose.
UNC has 90 days to answer the charges from the NCAA. Then the NCAA has (I think) about 50 to 60 days to respond to UNC but that can be delayed by the NCAA . Even after the NCAA responds, the two parties get back together and the results of that meeting can be drawn out for the normal parry and thrust.
The NCAA is up against it on this one. They could easily become a nonentity (Which I have predicted) if this is mishandled.
As to Syracuse ,they punished themselves but where were they going anyway. They didn't have the team to be in the playoffs so no big deal.
That would piss me off if they wait. Syracuse got hammered. UNC should be nailed.

Reactions: Jackcrow
Hi fellas.

We're hearing two different things - neither of which is going to be pleasing to the ravenous ABCers. The first rumor is that basketball specifically will receive nothing. Yep, you read that correctly. Neither would the football team (they might cite "time served") The entire AD might get hit with LOIC, and because of that would have to pay a huge fine and the entire department would end up on probation. The second rumor is that the basketball team would receive a small scholarship reduction for a couple years and probation - but no vacated wins or banners and no postseason ban. The women's basketball team is the most likely to be hammered. Not hearing what specifically could happen to the football team in this scenario though.

Hi fellas.

We're hearing two different things - neither of which is going to be pleasing to the ravenous ABCers. The first rumor is that basketball specifically will receive nothing. Yep, you read that correctly. Neither would the football team (they might cite "time served") The entire AD might get hit with LOIC, and because of that would have to pay a huge fine and the entire department would end up on probation. The second rumor is that the basketball team would receive a small scholarship reduction for a couple years and probation - but no vacated wins or banners and no postseason ban. The women's basketball team is the most likely to be hammered. Not hearing what specifically could happen to the football team in this scenario though.
It is hard to imagine the entire AD hit with LOIC, but football and basketball pretty much skating. But, with the NCAA you just never know.

It is hard to imagine the entire AD hit with LOIC, but football and basketball pretty much skating. But, with the NCAA you just never know.

Agreed. They've never been consistent with anything so if what I wrote were to happen, it wouldn't shock me.

What did women's basketball do?
Hi fellas.

Agreed. They've never been consistent with anything so if what I wrote were to happen, it wouldn't shock me.
Really hard for me to think they have read the NOA, got LOIC in multiple sports, but know that men's Bball and football is safe. The NCAA has not shared any possible penalties with them, pending their response to the NOA.

Really hard for me to think they have read the NOA, got LOIC in multiple sports, but know that men's Bball and football is safe. The NCAA has not shared any possible penalties with them, pending their response to the NOA.

That seems logical, but then again do you really believe the NCAA is treating a golden goose like a father-son relationship? Or is it plausible to suggest that this entire saga is already scripted and they're merely going through the motions for effect? Smoke and mirrors.

I believe GSD's reported rumors but they're more likely leaks of the negotiated plan. I'm prepared to set a couch ablaze in protest, but I'm going to visit the local Goodwill....Not burnin' mine up.

This could be the end of College Sports as we know it IF the NCAA lets them walk, Again. Me. as a fan of College Sports , and the NCAA doesn't go by their Charter laws, Then I'm quitting as a Fan. Period !! I have had all I want when Money Controls College Sports.

I am hearing the opposite...that it is worse than UNC expected. That the excessive time they claim is being used for redacting names from the NOA is actually so their PR team can figure out a strategy to contain the huge public backlash they are about to receive. Do not put any weight to what UNC fans/boards are saying. They have been wrong every step of the way.

I am hearing the opposite...that it is worse than UNC expected. That the excessive time they claim is being used for redacting names from the NOA is actually so their PR team can figure out a strategy to contain the huge public backlash they are about to receive. Do not put any weight to what UNC fans/boards are saying. They have been wrong every step of the way.
Interesting.

This could be the end of College Sports as we know it IF the NCAA lets them walk, Again. Me. as a fan of College Sports , and the NCAA doesn't go by their Charter laws, Then I'm quitting as a Fan. Period !! I have had all I want when Money Controls College Sports.
Bandwagon.

Well, you've been nearly 100 here to date so I'll give that some credence.

But I ain't gettin' my hopes up.

sorry maybe cheater was a little harsh, I'll be glad to change it to "ethically challenged." If it will make you feel better.
Pumpkin-eaters is acceptable. I would be fine if the only punishment they were given was changing there logo to a little girl holding a big pumpkin, and a big fat pumpkin on their helmets. Blue&Orange? How's that sound?

Truth is that nobody knows enough to state what will happen. Remember that you are dealing with two very
untrustworthy organizations .
Pumpkin eaters is good. Maybe they will go with it.

Pumpkin-eaters is acceptable. I would be fine if the only punishment they were given was changing there logo to a little girl holding a big pumpkin, and a big fat pumpkin on their helmets. Blue&Orange? How's that sound?
On second thought , I will just stick with CHEATERS. No need to disgrace any decent ethical vegetable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT