ADVERTISEMENT

So that WV QB was 5-0 at FL before he went out

My understanding is he had rather nominal quarterback stats except for the Ole Miss game. Which is to say not bad for a first start but not stellar. Hoping the rust is still there from time off. Rarely does an offense fire on all cylinders on the first game and defense plays a bigger part of the first game. I hope this is so for this game which would give us an edge.

He will be tough to play against for any team.
Despite doing nothing but dinking and dunking, his numbers (yards, comp pct, turnover ratio, QB rating) were pretty aweful in 4 of those games.

Florida started out 5-0 in spite of their QB that year, not because of him.

I will be there so hoping we make a game out of it. Really want the win and the oddsmakers have us as favorites but it is never over until the final whistle.

NCAA needs to clamp down on all these QBs transferring. It's almost as if QBs become a free agent after they're at a school for a couple or 3 years. When you sign with a school "stay there".

I agree with you guys about Bud and the defense. However, over the years Bud seldom showed much of his hand in the early out of league games. I hope he makes an exception as his linebackers and back field are very experienced this year.

Hopefully we can beat WVA and not start season off with a loss, like we have done "more than once". If we beat WVA, I like our chances.

I don't believe in holding back for conference games. You play to win each one. If Foster has held back in the past I have not noticed.

Despite doing nothing but dinking and dunking, his numbers (yards, comp pct, turnover ratio, QB rating) were pretty aweful in 4 of those games.

Florida started out 5-0 in spite of their QB that year, not because of him.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about him. I would dismiss his ability and downplay his potential. That's always a good strategy.

I
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about him. I would dismiss his ability and downplay his potential. That's always a good strategy.
I can assure you that Bud and company has not downplayed his ability. We are simply stating the obvious that he is not a proven commodity yet. He may very well be the "be all-do all" that you hope him to be. We are just confirming what many of the "experts" have said that his supporting cast - especially the O-line is not proven at this point. Just like us - you are working in a new QB this year so the first game normally does not have the offense firing on all cylinders. That gives us some hope that we might be competitive enough to make this a game.

He will be tough to play against for any team.
Correction... Florida was 5-0 using a QB who was juicing.
He won't be surrounded by FL talent, and presumably, he isn't juicing now. I seem to remember Tony Mandarich falling off more than just a bit, post-juice.

How many NFL QBs did we face last year, and how did they do? (hint: not so well)

WV has the best D in the non-D Big12.

I'm licking my chops. The kid can throw, but he can't run.

Correction... Florida was 5-0 using a QB who was juicing.
He won't be surrounded by FL talent, and presumably, he isn't juicing now. I seem to remember Tony Mandarich falling off more than just a bit, post-juice.

How many NFL QBs did we face last year, and how did they do? (hint: not so well)

WV has the best D in the non-D Big12.

I'm licking my chops. The kid can throw, but he can't run.

Can't run?? LOL.. I advise you to watch the Florida games.

116 yards in 6 games, and juiced at that. That's not quite 20 yards per game.
There are other QBs on our schedule I'll be a lot more worried about their running, than Grier.

The report on him is that he has a lot of juice (see what I did there!?) in his arm, can move in the pocket, but virtually not a run threat at all.

If you've read the other threads, then you'll see where I 100% totally dimissed this kid back when he was in 10th grade. Nothing has changed in the last 5 years to change my mind. Just the opposite, actually.

If you've read the other threads, then you'll see where I 100% totally dimissed this kid back when he was in 10th grade. Nothing has changed in the last 5 years to change my mind. Just the opposite, actually.

Yeah, you're right.

He torched your "impressive" D for 371 yards. He threw for more yards against you than Deshaun Watson did last year.

He did look really good in the second half...against a gassed defense with poor depth rushing only 3 or 4 people. No one ever doubted his ability to stand still in a wide open space with no pressure and make all of the throws. That's one of the reasons he did so well at combines in high school.

But if you watched the 1st qtr and didn't see huge red flags about his footwork and decision making under pressure, you're just choosing to ignore the obvious. I saw them in high school, and I'm sorry to tell you, but it doesn't look like much has changed. Since you didn't post this reply during the 1st qtr when he looked like hot trash, then I'm going to guess you saw it, too.

Grier will have some games this year where his protection is good and he looks like an All-American. And then there will be those other games. It sounds like you haven't seen them yet, but you will. He's perfectly capable of executing at a very high level when the conditions are perfect. With your oline, however, I don't think the conditions are always going to be perfect.

When it happens, you won't need to come back here and grudgingly admit that I was right. We can just acknowledge it beforehand that I already knew I was right before the season even kicked off.

Overall, though, I liked a lot of what I saw from your team, and I'll be rooting for you to make some noise in your conference this season (especially vs Oklahoma and Texas). Good luck to the Eers and I think you guys can win a bunch of games in 2017.

While we're on the subject, Grier always reminded me of VT QB Glennon, and he still does after watching him again the other night. Give him a clean pocket and he can do many cool things.

But boy does it get ugly quickly when the pocket is less than perfect.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT