ADVERTISEMENT

Time for Pry to go?

pahokie77

Signee
Jan 7, 2008
Is it time for Pry to go? I know it is only his second year, but I am not seeing an upside. With the transfer portal coaches should show improvements after 1 year, VT is going backwards. Anyone else agree?

Nope. He is on the right track. Keep in mind we are in a deep hole not of his own doing. Winning cures everything, and if it is him, or another, we still have to get better. Changes head coaches in year 2 makes no sense at all, but changing coordinators at the end of the year may make a difference if things do not improve. Keep in mind the CFB was on the verge of getting fired, and he is a hall of fame coach now. Patience, and be proud to be a HOKIE!

Nope. He is on the right track. Keep in mind we are in a deep hole not of his own doing. Winning cures everything, and if it is him, or another, we still have to get better. Changes head coaches in year 2 makes no sense at all, but changing coordinators at the end of the year may make a difference if things do not improve. Keep in mind the CFB was on the verge of getting fired, and he is a hall of fame coach now. Patience, and be proud to be a HOKIE!
This is different time in college football than when Coach Beamer was coaching. In Beamers time, once a recruit signed his letter of intent that was the end of it. That athlete was going to be at your school for the next 4-5 years. Well not so fast my Friend, now players are allowed to transfer if things are not going, the way they want. So, you have to keep recruiting kids to stay at your school. Then there is Name, image, and likeness. What schools like the U and others have been doing for years under the table is now legal. Pay your players. How are smaller schools supposed to keep up? Coach Beamer made 2.5 million. Coach Pry gets 4 million a year. He is scheduled 500k bump next year. Thats a lot of money for a 3-8 season. I would cut Tech a deal and give similar results for only 500k a year. Look at Coach Mike Elko from Duke, His first year as a head coach he went 9-4 and a bowl win. This season he punished Clemson and looks for a shot at an ACC championship. Coach Pry went 3-8 lost to ODU. Coach Elko used the transfer portal to build a team. Not going to mention first year Coach Prime and what he is doing. In short, Coach Elko is more prepared and a better coach than Coach Pry. Here's the stinger, His first year at Duke was for 2 million.

Last edited:
All valid points. But buying out any coach after 2 years is not smart. If we are still having the same conversation at the end of next year, it is a lot more feasible. I still have faith in CBF, and believe he is the man for the job.

Can you elaborate as to why you think Pry is on the right track?

I do not think comparing Coach Beamer is valid given the transfer portal and NIL. In the past I would give new coaches 4 years. Today, I would give them 2 years. Pry hasn't shown me anything yet. He needs to finish 6 - 6 this year or we need a new coach (coaches) / strategy. If VT loses to UVA and VT has a losing record, would you agree we should fire Pry?

All valid points. But buying out any coach after 2 years is not smart. If we are still having the same conversation at the end of next year, it is a lot more feasible. I still have faith in CBF, and believe he is the man for the job.
Who is CBF? type error? CBP? How is Coach Pry on the right track? If you say the right culture, no disrespect but that's just coach speak when they haven't won in a while. You think we should pay him 12 million and then fire him?

Whether we like it or not, we are not in a financial position to buy out the contract of another football coach. CBP (yes, typo error) is on the right path with his recruiting and community involvement. We are at the bottom, and have been there before (a 2-win season with CFB), and it will improve. Patience is hard for so many people, and while I agree we do not want to stay at the bottom, it doesn't necessarily mean change is required now. I have heard it from many donors, but if everyone who complained invested into the program equally, we would be in a better position on all levels. Think of it like raising a child and the mistakes that every parent make, you generally get better in time, and surround yourself with people who are beneficial to your success as a family. This is on many levels, but as it relates to football and finances, some go through bankruptcy (financial bad decisions or life dictates this path), others struggle but make it day to day, and some thrive. There are a lot of reasons why each situation happens, and the paths people take (where a different decision here or there could have changed the path). I am seasoned enough and have faith enough in CBP to believe he is on the right path. Regardless of the record, I like what I see in the person and the program. Go HOKIES!

Whether we like it or not, we are not in a financial position to buy out the contract of another football coach. CBP (yes, typo error) is on the right path with his recruiting and community involvement. We are at the bottom, and have been there before (a 2-win season with CFB), and it will improve. Patience is hard for so many people, and while I agree we do not want to stay at the bottom, it doesn't necessarily mean change is required now. I have heard it from many donors, but if everyone who complained invested into the program equally, we would be in a better position on all levels. Think of it like raising a child and the mistakes that every parent make, you generally get better in time, and surround yourself with people who are beneficial to your success as a family. This is on many levels, but as it relates to football and finances, some go through bankruptcy (financial bad decisions or life dictates this path), others struggle but make it day to day, and some thrive. There are a lot of reasons why each situation happens, and the paths people take (where a different decision here or there could have changed the path). I am seasoned enough and have faith enough in CBP to believe he is on the right path. Regardless of the record, I like what I see in the person and the program. Go HOKIES!
I like your reply, well written. You have had a lot of life experience. I have to disagree with you. College football is a business. Nothing like raising a child. If you were paid 4 million dollars to do a job and you kept under achieving, do you think your boss would say "No big deal, he will get it in time?" Of course not, you would get fired. Once again comparing Coach Beamer to the current situation isn't relevant. It's apples to oranges. Coach Beamer had two years of NCAA sanctions from Coach Dooley. Thats why he wasn't fired after his 2-win season. Va Tech is 1-9 against power 5 teams. Coach Pry's record is 4-10. Several other 2nd year coaches are thriving. When the ticket sales, advertising dry up Tech will make a change.
Not a single recruited player who has committed to VA Tech has signed with Tech. We will see what happens signing day. If Tech posts another losing season, these kids will walk away. No one wants to play for a loser.
Marshall is a 4 point favorite this weekend. I never would have thought Marshall would be favored against Tech, Strange days indeed.

Thanks to everyone for posting comments. So, there are some Hokie fans out there. I am glad to see that.

I am very concerned that Pry is not what VT needs with the new college football playoffs, NIL and transfer portal. Coach Sanders is showing how to be successful with the new college football. Yes, I know he is a unique coach but he is having success. Heck even Coach Saban is having issues. VT needs to find the unicorn coach and get the program back on track. It is a new dawn for college football and VT needs to get on board or VT will be left behind.

The ACC will be wide open next year. Although Clemson, FSU, Miami and UNC will be favored there could be a wildcard. Why not VT!

Thanks to everyone for posting comments. So, there are some Hokie fans out there. I am glad to see that.

I am very concerned that Pry is not what VT needs with the new college football playoffs, NIL and transfer portal. Coach Sanders is showing how to be successful with the new college football. Yes, I know he is a unique coach but he is having success. Heck even Coach Saban is having issues. VT needs to find the unicorn coach and get the program back on track. It is a new dawn for college football and VT needs to get on board or VT will be left behind.

The ACC will be wide open next year. Although Clemson, FSU, Miami and UNC will be favored there could be a wildcard. Why not VT!
Pry is the right coach for us. Give him time and he will fix this. The only way to rebuild this program back is through recruiting local talent. That requires connections to local coaches. Fuente was not able to make connections and that is why he failed so miserably. If we are going to fire anyone we should look at the AD who kept Fuente 3 years longer than he should have. It was blatently obvious to most of us that Fuente was not ACC calibre coach yet our AD refused to make a chance. He declared "I just believe in Futente" 10 months before he eventually fired him. Why was he kept so long when the fanbase and donors were clear they were no longer going to support him? I hold our AD responsbile at least partually for the mess our FB program became. Coach Pry will be successful, just give him some time.

Reactions: DennisBane
Watched the VT-FSU game. Even the announcers commented how much bigger, faster and stronger the FSU players were than the VT players. That was something that they used to say about VT in many of their games in the past. FSU had exceptional talent even when they were losing games a few years ago (so maybe not a good team to compare to VT). WF is next for VT and I fear another loss. We still have long way to go to compete in the ACC.

Who would have thought the two best football teams in Virginia would be Liberty and JMU and the two worst would be UVA and VT.

I underestimated VT wins in ACC. Hopefully, we can win all the non-conference games in 2024 and again win 5+ ACC games. We lost to the top 3 ACC teams and beat the 5 bottom teams. Not sure next year's ACC schedule will be as easy. Good luck in the Military Bowl. Go hokies!

Good Bowl Win! Hope next year will be as good, if not better than this year. Happy New Year!
We had to deal wth a lot of injuries this year. I know that is just the nature of the game, but for a team that is rebuilding, that is a killer. I think we'll win 8 games (8-4) and go bowling again next year. I have been convinced from the beginning that Pry is the right coach for us and that he will build this program the right way.... recruiting the instate talent and get back to where we were about 10 years ago. Go Hokies!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT