ADVERTISEMENT

TOSU suspends 4 for first game including stud lineman Bosa

SunnyBeachWave

Global Elite-Illuminatist
Gold Member
May 8, 2013
Bosa, potentially the best dlineman in the country.......

and one of their best offensive playmakers Marshall.

Things getting interesting.

Bosa, potentially the best dlineman in the country.......

and one of their best offensive playmakers Marshall.

Things getting interesting.
That is helpful, but may fire the bucknuts even more. They are loaded w talent, but every break helps VT!

OSU may have a great deal of depth in talent, but the suspensions hit the experience at key positions.

The H-back, a key cog in Meyer's offense now goes to a third stringer. It looks to be either Curtis Samuel who ended the season as the back up to Elliot at running back or Braxton Miller. Now both players have shown that they can run the ball, but we need to see how consistent they can be at catching the ball.

Bosa's absence means three new starters at the d-line. There may be talent but as we saw last year, inexperience in a big game early in the season can close the talent gap.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
Just the break VT needs, just like the break you got last year.

What break? That Miller was out? Give me a break, look at Barrett's stats last year. He had ONE game with below a 60 CMP% and 1 game where he threw 3 INT. Aside from the Penn State game that kid was a very solid QB for them. I mean, there is a reason why even though healthy, Miller is now a WR. Let's not forget that that game was also Brewer's second career game for us.

VT outplayed them and Foster out schemed Urban Meyer pure and simple. There were no "breaks."

Last edited:
As a fan, although for another team, I can understand why VTHookie would be upset with those who make it sound as if BT was given some kind of gift with the win last year. It wasn't a gift, but there were factor that erected the game.

Here's the reality. What you say is true in that the Hokie players outplayed the Buckeyes, and Foster came in with a scheme in the Bear front that the Buckeye's were unprepared for and were unable to adjust.

But it is also a reality that the team in general and the offense in particular was severely lacking in experience. Having a senior quarterback, especially the two time Big 10 player of the year winner would have made a difference. And while Braxton may not be an elite passer, he's a good one. What he is is an elite runner. That could have forced a change in Foster's scheme both in game preparation and during the game.

I don't know if the results would have been different last season, and none of us ever will. So full credit goes to Va Tech I their win, and their ability to take advantage of any breaks they may have gotten.

And I don't mean to take anything away from tOSU. You guys were the better team last season, I mean you guys won the national title and VT was lucky to break even. I mean, one week after the VT game Barrett threw 6 TD passes and tied (maybe broke?) tOSU's TD in a game record. He didn't suddenly turn into a superstar overnight. VT game them all kinds of problems.

It's just, that night....VT outplayed tOSU.

...But it is also a reality that the team in general and the offense in particular was severely lacking in experience. Having a senior quarterback, especially the two time Big 10 player of the year winner would have made a difference. And while Braxton may not be an elite passer, he's a good one. What he is is an elite runner. That could have forced a change in Foster's scheme both in game preparation and during the game.

I don't know if the results would have been different last season, and none of us ever will. So full credit goes to Va Tech I their win, and their ability to take advantage of any breaks they may have gotten.

Here's the problem with that argument...if anyone gives OSU a pass against VT due to OSU's lack of experience on offense, then it's only reasonable to give VT the same benefit. After all, VT played that same game with a brand-new quarterback who had only been on campus a couple of months (Barrett had been around OSU a lot longer, mind you), and we were playing freshman at virtually all of the skill positions. At the end of the day, one could reasonably argue that OSU was playing with more experience on offense that night than VT was.

Reactions: GurskyT
As a fan, although for another team, I can understand why VTHookie would be upset with those who make it sound as if BT was given some kind of gift with the win last year. It wasn't a gift, but there were factor that erected the game.

Here's the reality. What you say is true in that the Hokie players outplayed the Buckeyes, and Foster came in with a scheme in the Bear front that the Buckeye's were unprepared for and were unable to adjust.

But it is also a reality that the team in general and the offense in particular was severely lacking in experience. Having a senior quarterback, especially the two time Big 10 player of the year winner would have made a difference. And while Braxton may not be an elite passer, he's a good one. What he is is an elite runner. That could have forced a change in Foster's scheme both in game preparation and during the game.

I wouldn't argue that it would have been a much different outcome had Miller been at qb. We had and have had trouble with running qbs and that dynamic is something I'm hoping Meyer doesn't take advantage of in this coming game. If he's done his homework, he'll run Jones from the spread 25 times. BUt he better bring a box to take him home in and have the other kid warmed up and ready to play.

What break? That Miller was out? Give me a break, look at Barrett's stats last year. He had ONE game with below a 60 CMP% and 1 game where he threw 3 INT. Aside from the Penn State game that kid was a very solid QB for them. I mean, there is a reason why even though healthy, Miller is now a WR. Let's not forget that that game was also Brewer's second career game for us.

VT outplayed them and Foster out schemed Urban Meyer pure and simple. There were no "breaks."
The break was facing a QB in his first real game, that's a break. You may have still won but that was a nice break.

Here's the problem with that argument...if anyone gives OSU a pass against VT due to OSU's lack of experience on offense, then it's only reasonable to give VT the same benefit. After all, VT played that same game with a brand-new quarterback who had only been on campus a couple of months (Barrett had been around OSU a lot longer, mind you), and we were playing freshman at virtually all of the skill positions. At the end of the day, one could reasonably argue that OSU was playing with more experience on offense that night than VT was.

+1

I see the Big 10 is outlawing their schools playing FCS team, saying they are shooting for toughest schedule in NCAA, One thing the Commissioner forgot, the Big 10 still plays conference games, thus every school plays weak schedule compared to other conferences. If he wants to toughen schedules, they should play all non conference games with SEC schools. Big 10 is worst conference of the so called big 5.

I see the Big 10 is outlawing their schools playing FCS team, saying they are shooting for toughest schedule in NCAA, One thing the Commissioner forgot, the Big 10 still plays conference games, thus every school plays weak schedule compared to other conferences. If he wants to toughen schedules, they should play all non conference games with SEC schools. Big 10 is worst conference of the so called big 5.

And we are playing two B10 schools this year.

Both teams were young last year. We can go position by position and see which team was less experienced but that doesn't matter. It doesn't change that the youth of OSU's QB and the inexperience of the offensive line was effected more. In part because while VT could focus their Fall camp somewhat on the Buckeyes, OSU had to play Navy the week prior. Not a better team bout anyone who knows college football knows that style requires extra preparation.

As I've said continuously that isn't an excuse and VT deserved the victory, but breaks due factor in the equation. OSU had some breaks in the National Championship regarding Oregon's roster. Doesn't change that they won or whether they should have, but the status of a couple of Duck receivers did make a difference.

The funny thing about making fun of conference strength of schedules. When you win the National Championship in a playoff where you take out the number one and two ranked teams nationally, you don't give a crap about conference strength arguments.

You guys really don't need to be playing Navy for any reason. That's a no-win situation no matter how you choose to look at it.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
Both teams were young last year. We can go position by position and see which team was less experienced but that doesn't matter. It doesn't change that the youth of OSU's QB and the inexperience of the offensive line was effected more. In part because while VT could focus their Fall camp somewhat on the Buckeyes, OSU had to play Navy the week prior. Not a better team bout anyone who knows college football knows that style requires extra preparation.

As I've said continuously that isn't an excuse and VT deserved the victory, but breaks due factor in the equation. OSU had some breaks in the National Championship regarding Oregon's roster. Doesn't change that they won or whether they should have, but the status of a couple of Duck receivers did make a difference.

The funny thing about making fun of conference strength of schedules. When you win the National Championship in a playoff where you take out the number one and two ranked teams nationally, you don't give a crap about conference strength arguments.

There are many variables you could factor in. Any way you look at that game last year, we should have lost by two tds or more. Yall did win the MNC after all. If you sat down and averaged out the talent level of TOSU and VT by estimated high school recruit measure from ANY recruiting service, you would find an overwhelming advantage to TOSU across the board. Meyer has proven to be one of the top 5 coaches overall of the past several decades imho, and has in place a top-shelf, formidable staff as good as any in the country. The biggest crowd ever to witness a game at the shoe. I could go on. There was only the slightest chance for us to win. But we did.

And there aren't really any viable excuses, including breaks. As you can see from the above data, every "break" you give us can easily be more than neutralized by the mere might and level of your players and staff. Our players and coaches outwitted and outplayed yours on that night. We might do it again this year, despite the tiny chance; our players and coaches have their number and they've got confidence. I assure you they will leave it all on the field. Wouldn't it be something if we were to be 2-0 all time against the mighty Bucks?

It would be even better if we didn't lose several games to inferior teams afterwards.

If I were making the schedule, VT would never play Big 10 schools in any sport, other than Nebraska and Penn State.

Yet HR....they have the defending National Champion. What will you say about Big 10 if OSU beats VT?

Unquestioned that overall VT outplayed OSU. I say over and over that if VT didn't beat OSU I don't think that they go to the National Championship. Foster found a susceptibility with OSU going against the Bear Zero Defense with a young QB and inexperienced line. OSU faced that again over and over during the season and the coaches adjusted. If say MSU was the first team to do that and beat OSU then there would have been no conference championship, no playoffs, and obviously no championship.

I expect a similar new game plan by the Hoakies. I just hope this time the talent gap that some of you refer to is enough to overcome this time. Either way, I'd take another loss if the end of year result is the same.

Klemman, don't take anything HR6 says too seriously, he is the resident troll/alzheimer's poster.

Don't worry, I am very familiar with HR6. I have no problem with an opinion, but when he tries to justify by acting as f the facts are in his favor I like to counter with a dose of reality.

Obviously he is living in the past (as in the old BCS) system when he makes his statement along with some anti-OSU bias. In the old system OSU would be out, ironically based on his own argument so would Baylor and TCU.

The new committee system's members said from before the season, during the season, and at the end of the season, that they would put in the playoffs who they collectively felt was the 4 best teams at the time into semi-finals. Who a team played and how they played at the beginning of the season was secondary. Not losing the last game of the season is secondary. Who was the best team from the start of the season until the end was secondary. And based on the results of the playoffs and championship game, they were right.

I do challenge HR6 to offer a counter argument that actually has merit.

Ha, I think he wouldn't be the only one. Based on the committee's criteria if anyone should have been dropped in place of TCU or Baylor, it was FSU. And just like how the playoffs proved OSU should be there, the playoffs proved that FSU possibly shouldn't have been.

There are many variables you could factor in. Any way you look at that game last year, we should have lost by two tds or more. Yall did win the MNC after all. If you sat down and averaged out the talent level of TOSU and VT by estimated high school recruit measure from ANY recruiting service, you would find an overwhelming advantage to TOSU across the board. Meyer has proven to be one of the top 5 coaches overall of the past several decades imho, and has in place a top-shelf, formidable staff as good as any in the country. The biggest crowd ever to witness a game at the shoe. I could go on. There was only the slightest chance for us to win. But we did.

And there aren't really any viable excuses, including breaks. As you can see from the above data, every "break" you give us can easily be more than neutralized by the mere might and level of your players and staff. Our players and coaches outwitted and outplayed yours on that night. We might do it again this year, despite the tiny chance; our players and coaches have their number and they've got confidence. I assure you they will leave it all on the field. Wouldn't it be something if we were to be 2-0 all time against the mighty Bucks?

It would be even better if we didn't lose several games to inferior teams afterwards.

Sunny Beach, breaks factor into every game whether they occurred before or during the game. The impact of the breaks vary on how and when they happen, and how teams respond to them. I'm not saying that they are excuses and I agree on the point about VT outplaying and out coaching OSU. If the number of breaks were exactly even which is arguable, VT took advantage and OSU didn't.

My argument gives VT a better chance this year. It means that outplaying and out coaching isn't the only way the Hokies can win. They can get more breaks and take advantage of them when they happen too.

I agree on the FSU deal. granted they were undefeated. That's all that got them in playoffs. Their schedule wasn't all that good.
That were some members of the selection committee that I would not trust to sell hot-dogs at a high school JV game, much less allow them to select the 4 best teams in country.

When VT lost to Wake Forest 6-3, Ohio State should have fallen out of Top 25.

Ha, I think he wouldn't be the only one. Based on the committee's criteria if anyone should have been dropped in place of TCU or Baylor, it was FSU. And just like how the playoffs proved OSU should be there, the playoffs proved that FSU possibly shouldn't have been.

I agree with this in theory, but they were the undefeated, defending national champs, and politically, you simply can't leave out a team with those credentials. If defending champ OSU runs the table this season, then they damn sure better make the playoffs at the end, no matter who else is under consideration for the spots.

The true shame of FSU being in the playoff is that so many ACC teams laid down and pissed away winnable games against the Noles. That should've been a 3-4 loss team and way removed from playoff consideration before they ever got that far, but the conference as a whole didn't do their job. Once they showed up still undefeated, then the committee's hands were pretty well tied at that point.

Good post Hokiemtc. With the love the committee has for the team from Ohio, they probably can get in this year with a 10-2 or 9-3 record. When committee sleeps with a team, it doesn't matter what the record is.

MTC, my reference to FSU was that they should have he team that should have been out if TCU or Baylor was a playoff team. But I agree that being the undefeated defending National Champions gave that a legitimate argument as well.

So in the end, regardless of Hampton's complaints, the committee probably got the right four teams into the Semi's.

Good post Hokiemtc. With the love the committee has for the team from Ohio, they probably can get in this year with a 10-2 or 9-3 record. When committee sleeps with a team, it doesn't matter what the record is.

I would love for that to be true, but you are incorrect again.

HR6 wrote: The team from Ohio should have never been in playoffs. Baylor or TCU should have gotten that spot."

Oh really ? So pick one, not both, which is exactly what the BIG 12 commissioner wouldn't do either. Lack of a true conference champion due to the lack of a championship game is what derailed both Baylor and TCU last year and most of that can be attributed to Texas greed in breaking apart the conference. Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Missouri have all left in the recent years.

And for the people on here that are saying that the BIG 10 is the weakest conference, think about just last year's bowl results (on field results, not perception):

OSU dismantled SEC champ Alabama (after being down 21-6) and PAC 12 champ Oregon (don't have to comment on that mismatch). BTW, that's the same Oregon that totally embarrassed ACC champ FSU just the game before 59-20.

Michigan State beat BIG 12 co-champ Baylor (yes Baylor HR6) whose coach Briles is still bitching. Try beating MSU first Briles before squawking about OSU.

And Wisconsin beat SEC Auburn.

All of the BIG 10 teams were underdogs going into their bowl games (the perception thing again) but still came out of the bowl season with a winning record. Who do I think is the best conference ? Still the SEC but the gap isn't as wide as some make it out to be.

It's not people saying anything about the Big 10(2), it's one poster. And if you think you can win an argument against HR6, then you're in for a huge reality check and disappointment.

It's not people saying anything about the Big 10(2), it's one poster. And if you think you can win an argument against HR6, then you're in for a huge reality check and disappointment.

Thanks. I'm new to the board and will keep that in mind. BTW, the game should be a good one. The three games that really have me worried this year is the opener against you guys at your place, MSU, and of course Michigan (for the obvious reasons). Anyone that states the OSU's path to the playoffs again is easy, well, they don't have a clue. Too much parity in CF anymore which is why it's rare to see an undefeated team

There were several people on this board - myself included - that was rooting heavily for OSU to win the title last year. Oregon would've been OK, too, but we played OSU, so that was more of a personal pick for us.

HR6 is the only poster on the board who's totally in love with all things SEC, and FSU is really, really hard to like with their total lack of morals and ignorant, arrogant fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT