ADVERTISEMENT

Tunnel Talk EXTRa: Hokies in good shape with top hoops target?

TimSullivan

HokieHaven.com Editor
Aug 15, 2011
Nashville, TN
I shared over the weekend that the Hokies are in the final four for top 2022 center Noah Clowney. The newly-minted No. 43 player in the country (up 12 spots in today's rankings release) is a 6-10 center out of Roebuck (S.C.) Dorman. VT's ties to that area and that high school extend to both the football and basketball programs, with Mike Young's former coaching stop in Wofford right around the corner. The staff has done a good job selling Clowney on a number of advantages of heading up to Blacksburg for his college ball.

“They also have great people," he said of the Orange and Maroon. "They were the first high-major Division 1 school to hit me up. I know they said the bigs do a lot of their scoring, so I think it could be a good opportunity for me as far as scoring the ball. I think it’s a great opportunity there too.”

After checking in with sources in Blacksburg and around his other three finalists (Alabama, Florida, and Indiana), this feels like a two-horse race. The Hokies feel good about his recruitment but don't know if they're in the driver's seat or not just yet. However, it does seem like the SEC programs are trailing the Hokies and Hoosiers at this point.

That's not to say it's a done deal for one of those two programs - he'll take all four official visits in the next four weeks, and is legitimately willing to be swayed by any and all of his suitors before sitting down to really think about his college future - but they're ahead for now. The Sept. 11 weekend when he'll be in town is shaping up to be a pretty important one in determining the long-term future of this VT class. Others, including power forward Ven-Allen Lubin, plan to be on-campus for officials. But Clowney is certainly the guy with whom the chance to seal the deal is best.

VT's class currently has one commitment, another Palmetto State native in three-star wing MJ Collins. There should be room for a class of four-plus signees come national signing day.

Reactions: VTRome
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News