ADVERTISEMENT

UNC probationed by SACS. Punishment blow one delivered.

I was just trying to explain my involvement with SACS in the past even though it wasn't on college level they are pretty tough. The recruiting statement was about how closely SACS will monitor athletic admissions and monitoring their eligibility once they arrive on campus. This is only my second post here on your site but if It is the Otis I am thinking about he should remember me from the Wolves Den. I am from Eden NC but living temporarily in Chatham Co unfortunately near unc. I don't know how you feel about MOC but my son was an equipment Mgr. for him when he was at State and we are pretty good friends. Have a lot of friends that are Hokie fans and I definitely pull for them in your Division. SACS I feel will stay on top of the things but as far as the NCAA I am hoping they will do THEIR JOB. Like I said in previous post they are first ever research university put on probation and for academic/athletic fraud not financial problems like most universities get put on probation for. By the way I like how you run your site.

Now you just stop it with the "sensationalistic" approach sir! LOL, sorry Sunnybeach, I could not help myself. Wolf dude, you are spot on and yes, it is a big deal for one of the reasons you mentioned regarding auditing at anytime. Fact is, a school with the research prowess of UNC simply DOES NOT get put on probation by an accrediting organization such as the SACS. Several schools that mess up get warnings and corrective action taken to avoid the possibility of probation. When the very first blow, the very first strike is automatic probation, this means a major, major MESS UP by a university and it means a major mess up over a long period of time. UNC is not just in big trouble academically (and trust me, they are) they are in a mess athletically. They will get hit with the loss of scholarships (many of them) and banned from post season contention for probably 2-3 years in hoops and football will take some form of a hit as well.

Reactions: Jackcrow
Now you just stop it with the "sensationalistic" approach sir! LOL, sorry Sunnybeach, I could not help myself. Wolf dude, you are spot on and yes, it is a big deal for one of the reasons you mentioned regarding auditing at anytime. Fact is, a school with the research prowess of UNC simply DOES NOT get put on probation by an accrediting organization such as the SACS. Several schools that mess up get warnings and corrective action taken to avoid the possibility of probation. When the very first blow, the very first strike is automatic probation, this means a major, major MESS UP by a university and it means a major mess up over a long period of time. UNC is not just in big trouble academically (and trust me, they are) they are in a mess athletically. They will get hit with the loss of scholarships (many of them) and banned from post season contention for probably 2-3 years in hoops and football will take some form of a hit as well.

It's all good brother..I respect your opinion. But I'm also unwavering in mine.

I know for a fact a small school in SE US was accredited by sacs with 6 instructors, one a crackhead, one an alcoholic (who allegedly pissed his pants while standing and smoking a cig with students outside), and only one with a degree. A school started by a guy who had big $$$ and connections. Paid his $$ and got his status. It was a matter of negotiation.

This article from two years ago will tell you something about sacs. Guess what? They still hide all their money, sources, resources, negotiations, and all the transcripts from "investigations". Why in the hell would they ever establish transparency? The gov tells us they keep things from us because of "national security" but what possible reason could a private co. have other than corruption, bribes and a trail of incentive cash leading back to politicians and other 1%ers......which leads to the irony in this; their "probation" and "warning" statuses are generally attached to a heavily veiled lack of keeping up with dues and 90% of the time, it's HBCUs with less funding and who more often run in to financial issues from shady leadership, i.e. where's my money beotches? Someone didn't act responsibly and save their club money? Academic probation. HBCU is represented by section B of Title III but alas, SACS is a private company, la cosa nostra of higher ed and they will get their protection money or your peeps can't get financial aid. See the link there? Why is a private co. determining federal aid eligibility? Really, isn't that kind of a fed agency hiding behind a private co status for nondisclosure purposes? Looks like the absolute perfect money machine.

Pay me or we will shut you down.

UNC has nothing to worry about academically except a scripted public humiliation ritual because they are rich as hell, but if you believe they do that's ok with me as long it's ok with you that I believe UNC's lawyers were out bowling and having beers while tickling the nuts of SACS execs, AKA the MIB.

I am going to have to charge for any further education on this topic.

PS, in that article note that even the public schools have to pay their dues. They don't give a damn about the quality of ed or your resources provided to students but you fk up their money and they will have you and your whole team fired (by the governor).

Dude, no doubt, the SACS dropped a notch in everyone's book for credentialing that school. I can certainly see why you have your opinion and I respect it. Good gracious, a crackhead professor! Sadly......just like the NCAA, money has influence and unfortunately, it can hide obvious truths. Like most institutions, the SACS is certainly not immune to the all mighty dollar.

If SACs uses their stiffest penalty ,it can be devastating. They did not use it.
UNC will have a successful recruiting year in FB and BB.
How can the NCAA find the courage to do something they haven't done before(Since SMU) . SMU actually scared the living crap out of theNCAA. They realized they killed the program and all the revenue from it.
If the NCAA gives anything approaching the proper punishment to UNC then I will be amazed. It goes against their selfish interests.
Once, just once I would like to see them show some stones but I am a skeptic.

Even if the NCAA gets a pair and punishes UNC (betting they won't) the penalties more than likely will be reduced or vacated in short order. The same happened for USC and Penn State in the last two major institutional charges. The NCAA is a joke and will continue to be a joke when it comes to punishing schools for misdeeds.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
If SACs uses their stiffest penalty ,it can be devastating. They did not use it.
UNC will have a successful recruiting year in FB and BB.
How can the NCAA find the courage to do something they haven't done before(Since SMU) . SMU actually scared the living crap out of theNCAA. They realized they killed the program and all the revenue from it.
If the NCAA gives anything approaching the proper punishment to UNC then I will be amazed. It goes against their selfish interests.
Once, just once I would like to see them show some stones but I am a skeptic.

False....UNC will NOT have a good recruiting year in basketball. As a matter of fact, a DEVESTATING down year by UNC basketball recruiting standards and that already applies to the incoming class for 2015. One of the WORST in UNC history (at least since 1962). Seriously, it is that bad. 2016 is yet to be decided based on the punishment issued. The acts of UNC have already negatively effected the 2015 class as one of UNC's worst in history and as a matter of fact, it may actually be THE WORST since the early 1960's.

False....UNC will NOT have a good recruiting year in basketball. As a matter of fact, a DEVESTATING down year by UNC basketball recruiting standards and that already applies to the incoming class for 2015. One of the WORST in UNC history (at least since 1962). Seriously, it is that bad. 2016 is yet to be decided based on the punishment issued. The acts of UNC have already negatively effected the 2015 class as one of UNC's worst in history and as a matter of fact, it may actually be THE WORST since the early 1960's.
Lol, Well Lucas you could be right and you could be wrong. At this point I can't tell as UNC has no recruits as of today. I'l catalogue this one as one of your definites and wait and see.

Their football recruiting is down with the in-state kids. They just got their first NC kid when Chazz Surratt flipped from Duke to UNC...after they got Roy involved and he offered both Chazz and his younger brother preferred walk-on status to the basketball team. With both parents being 'Holes, you would not think it would have been that hard for UNC to get him.

Their football recruiting is down with the in-state kids. They just got their first NC kid when Chazz Surratt flipped from Duke to UNC...after they got Roy involved and he offered both Chazz and his younger brother preferred walk-on status to the basketball team. With both parents being 'Holes, you would not think it would have been that hard for UNC to get him.
Agree Pack but still all in all they have a pretty good class going with 11 recruits. Two 4*'s, and all the rest 3 *'s. Maybe more of the in state guys are waiting them out. Doesn't matter , Fedora has already stood tall and let them all know at the freak show that UNC football will not be punished by the NCAA. ;)

Agree Pack but still all in all they have a pretty good class going with 11 recruits. Two 4*'s, and all the rest 3 *'s. Maybe more of the in state guys are waiting them out. Doesn't matter , Fedora has already stood tall and let them all know at the freak show that UNC football will not be punished by the NCAA. ;)

Leeanderthal - it is a looooong way to signing day and more damaging info is going to hit the fan. The SACS probation just initiated the Civil War that I mentioned a year ago was going to bring them down. They lied to SACS last year, but some Wolfpackers pointed it out to SACS and gave them the real data which led to probation. The NCAA members of the Committee On Infractions meets soon, and trust me when I say they have the real info/data. And, they know we also gave it to big media etc... so they cannot act as if they did not know something. Their jobs/paychecks/integrity are on the line and they know that they will be exposed if the punishment does not fit the crime. The NCAA also knows that the lawyers for the heel athletes that are suing UNC are asking for the UNredacted NOA to be entered into evidence. That will really make things ugly for UNC. Patience.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
Leeanderthal - it is a looooong way to signing day and more damaging info is going to hit the fan. The SACS probation just initiated the Civil War that I mentioned a year ago was going to bring them down. They lied to SACS last year, but some Wolfpackers pointed it out to SACS and gave them the real data which led to probation. The NCAA members of the Committee On Infractions meets soon, and trust me when I say they have the real info/data. And, they know we also gave it to big media etc... so they cannot act as if they did not know something. Their jobs/paychecks/integrity are on the line and they know that they will be exposed if the punishment does not fit the crime. The NCAA also knows that the lawyers for the heel athletes that are suing UNC are asking for the UNredacted NOA to be entered into evidence. That will really make things ugly for UNC. Patience.
This is very encouraging news Pack. I believe that the NCAA is backed into a corner but I have seen these people wiggle out of some corkers before. Maybe not as bad as this one. Thanks to the NCSU folks for doing the job that should have been done by others. Appreciate it.

Word is they're are using women's basketball coach as scapegoat for everything. If they are gonna use a scapegoat, they should use football. The ACC needs UNC basketball, it does not need UNC football. Football was what started the whole deal of NCAA violations. Issue a bowl ban so severe it hurts recruiting for years to come.

Reactions: Hokie81
Word is they're are using women's basketball coach as scapegoat for everything. If they are gonna use a scapegoat, they should use football. The ACC needs UNC basketball, it does not need UNC football. Football was what started the whole deal of NCAA violations. Issue a bowl ban so severe it hurts recruiting for years to come.
They might be using the girls BB as a scape goat but it sucks that the men's program seems to be sliding by. Roy gets an extension and the girls coach gets fired, seems like BS to me. Roy acting like he is innocent is pure crap, he's nothing but scum. So HR, letting the BB program slide because "the ACC needs them" is a joke. The Tarhole brand has been tarnished for ever, their arrogant fans are getting exactly what they deserve......the country is laughing at the Tarhole way.

It started with MBB years ago FB is the one that got them caught. It is going to get a lot more interesting before all is said and done. The fat lady has yet to sing!!!!!

Roy getting an extension and Hatchell getting the blame is part of a plan put in place by their high dollar PR firm to take the focus off of men's basketball. They will do anything to save the golden goose. But it ain't gonna work. Men's basketball is mentioned most prominently in the NOA, and the data from the investigation shows it started in basketball for Dean's boys, Doherty was told not to make changes to it, and Roy took it to a new level. In fact, in Dean's last 8 years as coach, his player's accounted for over 50 of the enrollment in fake classes while football made up around 25...women's basketball accounting for just 2. Cheats are spending millions in PR to no avail. The data/transcripts/emails show the truth.

UNC has become a true comedy! First off...
Lisa Broome was just reaffirmed as UNC's faculty athletic's committee rep that is the in-house watchdog for UNC. She was in a leadership position when all this crap was going on. She chose to turn a blind eye and was rewarded for doing so.

With so many people speaking out about how the "tail is wagging the dog at UNC, you would think that they would want to distance the academics a bit from athletics. Nope. The new head of UNC's Board of Trustees is the current head of the Rams Club. The outgoing head of the BOT is now on the board of the Rams Club. As one of their distinguished alums state... "they are rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic!"

And the headline in today's paper... Remember back before Wainstein we the "Martin Report" which was proven to be a whitewash. Well it seems old Governor Martin was simply misspoken. Whaaaat? Three years later you suddenly come out and claim "misspoken"? Or maybe the SACS report made him look like a total inept jackass albeit a corrupt one as well.

More to come...

Last edited:
And yet according to posts by recruits,Fedorea has openly stated that FB will not be punished,also,Roy has stated he doesn't think they BB program(mens) will be affected. Read in one of their recruiting summary reports that the AD has also said no punishment to either program. This I find hard to believe. Might be like a bigfoot sighting,but the other statements I do believe were made.

The University of North Carolina was cited for five Level I infractions from the NCAA. “Level I” is the most serious type of infraction that an institution can be charged with. On page 49 of the official “Notice of Allegations” that the NCAA sent to UNC, infraction #5 is detailed. It states in part: “The AFRI/AFAM department created anomalous courses that went unchecked for 18 years. This allowed individuals within ASPSA to use these courses through special arrangements to maintain the eligibility of academically at-risk student-athletes, particularly in the sports of FOOTBALL, MEN’S BASKETBALL, and women's basketball.”

The coaches know they are going to get slammed by the NCAA. They are lying to the recruits now and when they get slammed will say that they are shocked because UNC's attorneys told them otherwise. Totally unethical, but the true Carolina Way as we now know it.

The University of North Carolina was cited for five Level I infractions from the NCAA. “Level I” is the most serious type of infraction that an institution can be charged with. On page 49 of the official “Notice of Allegations” that the NCAA sent to UNC, infraction #5 is detailed. It states in part: “The AFRI/AFAM department created anomalous courses that went unchecked for 18 years. This allowed individuals within ASPSA to use these courses through special arrangements to maintain the eligibility of academically at-risk student-athletes, particularly in the sports of FOOTBALL, MEN’S BASKETBALL, and women's basketball.”

The coaches know they are going to get slammed by the NCAA. They are lying to the recruits now and when they get slammed will say that they are shocked because UNC's attorneys told them otherwise. Totally unethical, but the true Carolina Way as we now know it.

Packed, I was waiting for this post. I believe it to be accurate and I was wondering what happens to a coach who openly lies to potential recruits regarding something this serious. I am not innocent enough to believe that recruits are never lied to. I get that ,but this is a very serious lie to tell to young men who are trying to make a decision that will affect the rest of their lives.

After the dust clears on this scandal.......UNCheat will be a nice fall back school for those that can't get into Appy St.

Reactions: PACKed House
I believe VT took 1/2 Wrestling competitions vs the hoos last year and finished higher in NCAA tournament, did they not?

What is holdup w sanctions on unCheat? Apart from the politics, seems pretty obvious that damning evidence is just waiting for appropriate punishment. Any way to nudge the process?

UNC-Cheat has until August 18th to respond to the NOA. Then the COI meets to determine punishment. Probably will be early spring before we know anything.

UNC-Cheat has until August 18th to respond to the NOA. Then the COI meets to determine punishment. Probably will be early spring before we know anything.
True. I read somewhere that the NCAA is supposed to reply in two months but that they can delay that reply at will.

NCAA is dragging out the entire deal too long. It's taking years to do what they should have done in 30 days. I just hope the football team gets hammered to the point where they are not a threat to beat anyone.

You can say all you want and I'll agree that our recruiting is down in North Carolina but the staff has done really well out of state and just picked up a huge 4 star DT from Virginia with confirmed offers from the likes of 'Bama, Auburn, Ohio State, and a slew of other traditional FB powers. We'll see how it plays out but I'm afraid some of you will be disappointed when the NCAA finally rules. Nothing said here we'll make an iota of difference, we'll see soon enough.

I would be concerned about any player who turned down Alabama and Auburn for Carolina. His elevator doesn't go to the top floor. But he may have his eye on the easy academics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT