ADVERTISEMENT

What do you think your football record will be this year?

Jan 4, 2003
lots of anticipation for this season in Morgantown. The defense will be really good but the offense has question marks. Some say Holgerson needs to win at least 8 to stay. I know coach Beamer is nearing the end of his career and it would be nice to send him off with some great years. He, like Don Nehlen, is a class act and there aren't many of them around anymore....good luck this year and looking forward to renewing the series. We should have never stopped it in the first place. On another note, although I don't care for him personally you all got a good one in Buzz Williams.....he will win there eventually

Reactions: Jackcrow
lots of anticipation for this season in Morgantown. The defense will be really good but the offense has question marks. Some say Holgerson needs to win at least 8 to stay. I know coach Beamer is nearing the end of his career and it would be nice to send him off with some great years. He, like Don Nehlen, is a class act and there aren't many of them around anymore....good luck this year and looking forward to renewing the series. We should have never stopped it in the first place. On another note, although I don't care for him personally you all got a good one in Buzz Williams.....he will win there eventually
Thanks for the kind words. Agree on Nehlan. I always thought he was a class act as well as an excellent coach. Don't know what coach Beamers plans are but I think he may be here for some time yet. Buzz will have us winning this year, I think. Not big time but at least respectable.

I beleive it depends on the o line play and the play calling the defense minus no major injuries should be stout o line is the key to get back to 10 wins and back to the acc championship

7 and 5. Virginia Tech is now in full mediocre mode thanks to the decisions of Frank Beamer. His coaching career is an interesting story about how one coach can make solid decisions for many years and bring a program out of obscurity to national recognition. At the same time, it's a story about how a coach can make ONE bad decision over and over by keeping around one individual which brought the program back to mediocrity. Virginia Tech is expected to win 8 and many want 9 to be happy. It will not happen. The offense is...........THE SAME as 2003. That is Frank Beamer's doings. It will also lead to this year being Frank's last season as the Head Coach of Virginia Tech. He will not change and he has not changed and at this point, the damage is done. It's to late to matter even if he made gigantic changes. The damage in offensive recruiting is in full effect and this year will be no different on the field. Virginia Tech will have an offensive line that is in the bottom 25% of offensive lines in America. Their offensive coaching is in the bottom 10%. It will lead to 5 losses and that is unfortunate. But....hopefully, it is the end of Frank Beamer in Blacksburg. He needs to go. As for Nehlen, no question......class act. Beamer is the same. A truly good hearted man and first class. With that said, it is time for Beamer to go.

10-2 the defense will give up two late game scores , playing prevent like last season against ECU and GT.

7 and 5. Virginia Tech is now in full mediocre mode thanks to the decisions of Frank Beamer. His coaching career is an interesting story about how one coach can make solid decisions for many years and bring a program out of obscurity to national recognition. At the same time, it's a story about how a coach can make ONE bad decision over and over by keeping around one individual which brought the program back to mediocrity. Virginia Tech is expected to win 8 and many want 9 to be happy. It will not happen. The offense is...........THE SAME as 2003. That is Frank Beamer's doings. It will also lead to this year being Frank's last season as the Head Coach of Virginia Tech. He will not change and he has not changed and at this point, the damage is done. It's to late to matter even if he made gigantic changes. The damage in offensive recruiting is in full effect and this year will be no different on the field. Virginia Tech will have an offensive line that is in the bottom 25% of offensive lines in America. Their offensive coaching is in the bottom 10%. It will lead to 5 losses and that is unfortunate. But....hopefully, it is the end of Frank Beamer in Blacksburg. He needs to go. As for Nehlen, no question......class act. Beamer is the same. A truly good hearted man and first class. With that said, it is time for Beamer to go.
Even if we lose every game this year, Beamer ain't leaving on the eve of the Battle at Bristol. He's excited about that game and wants it to be part of his legacy is my guess. The question is does Babs have the cajones to do what should be done, if we were to lose every game? I know we won't lose even close to that many, but hypothetically speaking.....

Even if we lose every game this year, Beamer ain't leaving on the eve of the Battle at Bristol. He's excited about that game and wants it to be part of his legacy is my guess. The question is does Babs have the cajones to do what should be done, if we were to lose every game? I know we won't lose even close to that many, but hypothetically speaking.....

1. Stiney will stay at VT at the OC position for as long as he wants to.
2. Greeny is well liked and he's going to be at Blacksburg running the hoops program for a long time.
3. Beamer runs the show and he will only make changes when he wants to.

From the above, we can see that, Stiney DID NOT stay the OC. Greenberg was gone, and Beamer was FORCED to make changes even though he did NOT want to. Sunnybeach, I don't go with what the "masses" are saying. Emotion means nothing to me. The three classic statements above written on more than one Hokie message board were common themes echoed time and time again. The fact is....the "masses" or more than 50% will want Frank gone when they go 7 and 5 this year. The AD will have a mandate. At the same time, this AD has shown in the past and in his career he can make a tough decision or what is perceived as a tough decision. There will ALWAYS be "hold on time" or an excuse to keep Beamer around like.......... the Tennessee game, then there is the West Virginia game, then maybe we get Notre Dame the following year, or maybe we get Bama to come to Blacksburg, or maybe we sign a deal to play Notre Dame in Ireland, etc. Thankfully, our AD UNDERSTANDS there is always going to be "the following year" or "this one big game for the legacy" etc. etc. Those are EMOTIONAL arguments to keep Beamer around. Factual arguments would be the past 3 seasons and like I wrote, if we go 7 and 5 this year, he's gone. With that written, that is my opinion and you have yours. Where I think my argument has more weight is.....the AD will in fact have a mandate. I truly think the majority (more than 50% of the fanbase) would want Frank gone after this year if we go 7 and 5. If there were still not a majority and there were enough of the fan base stupid enough to want to keep him around after a 7 and 5 season so he can "make his legacy" against Tennessee, then the fan base gets what I deserves......which is.....like I wrote, 7 and 5 this year. Next year, we lose a bit on D and you will see a disaster in Bristol with last yeas TN class, this current years TN class, and what they have coming in for August 2016.

Right now, like most Americans, emotion dominates reason as fans are getting so excited and hyped for the season and I, like most or all other Tech fans, want for Coach Beamer to blow it up and go undefeated or even go 10 and 2 and play in the ACC Title Game. But.......he's not going to do that. He's going 7 and 5 and the current preseason emotion will be overcome by rational thought in about November by more than 50% of the fanbase.

Last edited:
2. Greeny is well liked and he's going to be at Blacksburg running the hoops program for a long time.

From the above, we can see that, Stiney DID NOT stay the OC. Greenberg was gone, and Beamer was FORCED to make changes even though he did NOT want to. Sunnybeach, I don't go with what the "masses" are saying. Emotion means nothing to me. The three classic statements above written on more than one Hokie message board were common themes echoed time and time again. The fact is....the "masses" or more than 50% will want Frank gone when they go 7 and 5 this year. The AD will have a mandate. At the same time, this AD has shown in the past and in his career he can make a tough decision or what is perceived as a tough decision. There will ALWAYS be "hold on time" or an excuse to keep Beamer around like.......... the Tennessee game, then there is the West Virginia game, then maybe we get Notre Dame the following year, or maybe we get Bama to come to Blacksburg, or maybe we sign a deal to play Notre Dame in Ireland, etc. Thankfully, our AD UNDERSTANDS there is always going to be "the following year" or "this one big game for the legacy" etc. etc. Those are EMOTIONAL arguments to keep Beamer around. Factual arguments would be the past 3 seasons and like I wrote, if we go 7 and 5 this year, he's gone. With that written, that is my opinion and you have yours. Where I think my argument has more weight is.....the AD will in fact have a mandate. I truly think the majority (more than 50% of the fanbase) would want Frank gone after this year if we go 7 and 5. If there were still not a majority and there were enough of the fan base stupid enough to want to keep him around after a 7 and 5 season so he can "make his legacy" against Tennessee, then the fan base gets what I deserves......which is.....like I wrote, 7 and 5 this year. Next year, we lose a bit on D and you will see a disaster in Bristol with last yeas TN class, this current years TN class, and what they have coming in for August 2016.

Right now, like most Americans, emotion dominates reason as fans are getting so excited and hyped for the season and I, like most or all other Tech fans, want for Coach Beamer to blow it up and go undefeated or even go 10 and 2 and play in the ACC Title Game. But.......he's not going to do that. He's going 7 and 5 and the current preseason emotion will be overcome by rational thought in about November by more than 50% of the fanbase.
Very interesting reading, folks......rumors around Morgantown say Holgerson better win at least 8 this year or the seat might get hot. We will have our best defense in years but the offense is a question...problem is in the Big 12 good defenses give up 25 a game:(

From the above, we can see that, Stiney DID NOT stay the OC.

Uh oh...somebody's not been paying attention. I know the official job title changed on paper, but little actually changed in the real world.

SunnyBeachWave , Big Bucks saved his rear after the Wake Game last year , or he would have been gone after the season ! Whit has the balls to do it, just needed a few bucks to go his way ,plus Frank Beamer is not looking all that good. So Health and common sense might make him Retire.. And on VT's win/lose this year..9-3 regular season , final 9-5 ..lose a bowl plus ACCCG ...Whit will then have to see if Health and Recruiting issues forces a change...IMO, it will.

Last edited:
Ticket purchases, donations, and overall recruiting are all down. What more is needed???

Ticket purchases, donations, and overall recruiting are all down. What more is needed???

What is needed is 9 wins and a trip to the ACCCG. That will not happen. If.....and I repeat.....IF our AD wants to go the route of Bud or Shane....he should announce it as soon as he realizes we are going 7 and 5. The talk should be with Beamer early on. This way, there is not a huge recruiting hit. Either way, the players coming to VT now are all one's coming for Foster, Lefty, or a particular positions coach and not Beamer. Coach Beamer staying around is actually hurting VT recruiting. I love CFB by the way. Absolutely and incredible man, great leader, great person, and at one time, one of the best coaches (top 5 iny opinion) in America, but......it is time to retire.

Shane Beamer has anything to do with the Head Job , Myself and several thousand more will Quit giving and I mean Quit in a big Way...He is Not high on the ladder with the Big Bucks and simple Hokies like me. Been around to long to waste my money and Time on Shane...Period!

Shane Beamer has anything to do with the Head Job , Myself and several thousand more will Quit giving and I mean Quit in a big Way...He is Not high on the ladder with the Big Bucks and simple Hokies like me. Been around to long to waste my money and Time on Shane...Period!

Why do you not want Shane Beamer? I am not disagreeing, but I am curious to know why you and thousands (I agree, it truly is thousands) do not want Shane Beamer? I understand many Hokie faithful love Coach Beamer and everything he has done, but many are turned off by the idea of Shane Beamer as a Head Coach in Blacksburg. My question is....why? Before you answer, let me give a statement about experience....

1. He has no OC or DC experience. I get that.
2. No OC or DC experience at a major program. I get that

Other than the above, what does he have....
1. Assistant Head Coaching Experience at a top 25 program. Are we not a top 25 program? Does the Assistant Head Coaching experience at a top 25 program like Virginia Tech equal or trump the above (no OC or DC experience)?
2. Coached under 2 legends in Spurrier and Beamer. You do agree that BOTH are legends, correct?
3. Does one absolutely have to be an OC or DC to be a Head Coach at a top 25 program? By the way, I am not saying (writing) that you do or do not, but am simply asking to question to ponder the thought.

As for my choices...I wrote this not one, not two, but I guess we are going on 3 years now......
1. Go to Norfolk, VA, and PAY HIM! Bobby Wilder is a genius, a leader, a winner. You can listen to the guy for 30 seconds in an interview and anybody with one half of a brain gets it that........"the guy is solid." He is going to win and he's going to recruit. He, in my absolute opinion is a steal. An absolute thievery for Virginia Tech if we got this guy. Again, my opinion only, but he is that good. What he has done at Old Dominion is remarkable.

2 and 3 and 4. A tie with Rich Rod and Bud and Shane in no particular order. I know, Bud is rough around the edges and this and that. As I stated earlier in this post, "emotion and the words of the masses" mean nothing to me. If Bud is rough around the edges or "not good in interviews" then so be it. We need the guy that players love, can recruit, is a defensive genius and impeccable leader, and wins. If he is "rough around the edges"<------meaningless and full of emotion..........or "not good in interviews"<-------meaningless and emotion laden, then so be it, we got a solid coach who will get it done.

Rich Rod. Forget the WV thing. I know.....I don't like em either. But....forget about it. The guy is good. We all know that. He can and will recruit. He is also from nearby (not to far away North up the road from B-Burg in WV) therefore, no major incentive to leave.

Shane Beamer. I smell a leader. I see a guy with a fiery temper. I see a motivator who loves VT and wants to win. I see a guy who had coached under two legends and now....knows how to run a program without being a former OC or DC. I see a guy exposed to major college football by a brilliant mind OUTSIDE of the VT system in Spurrier. This means.....Shane KNOWS what he DOES NOT KNOW about offense. Add this to the leader part above and you have a solid offensive system because he will make the correct hire.

5. Doc Holliday. Kind of in the realm of Frank and Nehlen (since a Mountaineer fan started the post). Holliday is brilliant, incredible man and person, an incredible recruiter, and like Bud, the man gets it done. Now that I am thinking about it, WVU is somewhat stupid! Why on earth does WVU settle for Buffalo Bill (silence of the lambs look alike) instead of a guy within a short distance from Morgantown. As a matter of fact......wrong hire for WVU, but even with that written, they have waited to long. They should bring Doc back to Morgantown. Re-establish the true Florida recruiting connection and come back to older winning times in Morgantown.

The above are only my opinions........and I have many of them.

I agree with Jack. Frank does not look well at all. This will play itself out throughout the rest of this year .
As to who will replace Frank, your guess is as good as mine. My personal choice would be Richrod because he's a proven commodity. He is not dumb enough to do anything but want to keep coach Foster.
On Foster I use to think he was to rough around the edges to handle himself as a head coach but I really like that he's emotional. You know exactly where you stand with Bud at all times. Just the opposite of a wishy washer. His desire to win is easily a magnet for recruits everywhere.
Shane was never on my list but I have to say that I had my eyes opened in the bowl game. Many times over the years we went into bowls and I wondered why we even bothered to agree to play in them. No spirit and poor preparation, along with our lack of play calling on O were sure recipes for defeat. It was like we didn't care.
When we played UC that was not the case. We were ready and we showed it from the gitgo. When you are tied by a late field goal just before the end of h1 and a guy makes a KO return like Greene you know the spirit is there. Even ST changes such as Greene were evident that Shane knew what he was doing.
As to the OD coach, yep he is money.

I swear to God, if someone shot and killed Stiney, you would blame his ghost if the offense didn't perform. Obsess much?

I swear to God, if someone shot and killed Stiney, you would blame his ghost if the offense didn't perform. Obsess much?

If his ghost was still sitting in the press box like his current non-ghost self is, then yes, I would still blame him for the mess he created and was apparently still overseeing.

We need to get that man as far away from the press box as possible and as soon as possible. Preferably in, like, 15 years ago.

You are not on TSL where you can fire the red herring then get the host to back you because you have "been around" the board.
Nice try but that does not work here. For example, your attempt to attack me by attempting to argue " I obsess" which you try to equate to the message being wrong. Fact is, there is no obsession. That is your TSL- like red herring. Fact is, (and since u brought it up) Stiney has been the worst thing happen to VT football regarding coaching and recruiting in my opinion since 2002. I have pointed out how I felt this way and have given numbers over the years in support of it. Even now with recruiting.....it is not looking great. Whatever he touches on VT football REGARDING his coaching ability and recruiting ability simply does not do well IN MY OPINION of once again, his ability as an FBS coach compared to the rest of his FBS peers. Again, my opinion only. With that written, the ole TSL "your obsessed" or "stop repeating the same theme" red herrings that you are spewing in a cry for help from the board host because you disagree or do not like someone's opinion does not work on this board dude. It has been tried. This board is open to opinions and thought as long as rules are not broken or personal attacks
..etc. Dude, I have posted maybe 10 times in 2-3 months and of those posts, 1 of the ten mentions Stiney....well....make it two since I mention him in the post in a response to you. Therefore, the good ole classic TSL red herring argument of " your sounding off with the same theme" or any other red herring you fire is juvenile, wrong, and makes you look foolish. Dude, if you disagreed with me, then just disagree by writing that, but stop trying to silence another persons thought through intellectual dishonesty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT