ADVERTISEMENT

Will Ohio State have a QB controversy?

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
If so, it could only help us.

Extreme competition in practice, extra pressure on the starter to maintain a high level at all times, a small distraction for the team, etc..

If so, it could only help us.

Extreme competition in practice, extra pressure on the starter to maintain a high level at all times, a small distraction for the team, etc..

Whether a controversy or problem. There are several types of problems in life. There are few problems that are actually "good to have." Ohio State at the QB position has a "good problem". Perhaps the overwhelming majority of other FBS schools would love to have the problem that Ohio State has at QB.

There won't be a QB controversy.....this is tOSU and Urban Meyer we are talking about...not UVA and Coach London. If on the small chance a QB controversy does arise it won't be in the first game of the season.

Now if a QB controversy develops AFTER the VT game it would probably because one of them threw a bunch of pick sixes and cost them the game. I'd be OK with that.

If you're talking about Cardale Jones flirting with Rhonda Rousey, then yes, there is a controversy.

Cardale Jones isn't focused enough to win the job, and Braxton Miller is likely switching to WR (which, I believe, is why he came back to Ohio State). JT Barrett is more mature despite being younger than Jones... I think Barrett is the guy.

Visions of both Braxton and Barrett in the backfield . They can both run exceptionally well and they can both pass. Ha.

Having three QBs with not only starting experience, but Championship and/or record breaking level performances, and each with a different skill set makes this situation unprecedented. As long as the Buckeyes win there will be little controversy. A loss automatically creates one.

It will be interesting to see how Va. Tech's coaches will prepare the defense. And equally interesting to see how OSU's coaches respond.

I can't believe that the largest crowd in horseshoe history saw VT beat the Buckeyes. Perhaps it was because they enlarged the stadium or something just prior to our game.

I can't believe how bad we stunk during other parts of the year. There's just simply no excuse for it.

I can't believe that the largest crowd in horseshoe history saw VT beat the Buckeyes. Perhaps it was because they enlarged the stadium or something just prior to our game.
They did. They added seats last year and we played in the first game after that.

My guess is that Urban has spent a whole lot of time figuring out how to redeem last years upset. If he does what I fear he will do it will be 35 to 6.

OSU 17-10 at halftime. They're too big, deep and talented. We wear down in the second half. OSU 42-13.

I recall last season, no one gave VT a chance against the team in Ohio.

It's still amazing how we beat the Ohio team, and lost to the team in Winston Salem. If we establish a balanced offense, we should beat Ohio team easily.

Doesnt matter who their QB is, Bud Foster will play typical VT defense and bring the pressure. Any other time I would complain about our offense but football is about matchups and I actually like Beamers style against Meyers. If you look at their games last season, they won big when they got their opponent into an offensive footrace. Beamers not going for any of that. I think we stand a good chance of pulling out the win.

I think we have a chance of pulling out a win, but I strongly disagree and don't think it's a good one. Meyer is a tremendous coach, and to assume that he cannot or will not adapt given the talent he has is to under value his ability. Regardless of who the QB is, I doubt Ohio State plays the same game they did last year, either defensively or offensively.

Having two QB's with running ability (not running backs who can throw) on the field at the same time scares me.

What does he have to adapt to? We have the same defensive philosophy weve had for years and our offense sure as hell isnt hard to figure out. Its not like we showed up with some creative scheme that caught him off guard. Our guys executed and their guys didnt.

Last year was a perfect storm of sorts that created an opportunity for Va Tech to win. OSU had a offensive line that had the second fewest starts in D1 college football, a quarterback who not only was making his second start as a Buckeye but because of his redshirt and an injury early as a highschool senior, was only his second game as a QB in three years. Add to that a first time starter as runningback who had wrist surgery 3 weeks prior so he split time with a true freshman running back, and because of an injury, was starting a 2nd string tight end.

That left them very susceptible to blitzes, especially ones that they weren't familiar with. Credit to the VT coaches for recognizing that and utilizing the Bear front which absolutely confused the heck out of OSU's offense.

On defense the Buckeyes had 2nd time starters at NT, DE, Will LB, cornerback, and safety. At the other safety was a player making his thrid start.

While I'm sure the Hokies spent a good deal of time prepping in Fall camp for the game, the OSU coaches had the misfortune of having the first game against Navy. A team not as talented as the Hokies but a style of play that required a lot more attention and time preparing for than the normal first OOC game.

All this isn't an excuse for why OSU lost. Just significant reasons as to what contributed. As I said, credit the Va Tech coaches for the plan, discredit Meyer and staff for not being prepared and failing to make the adjustments, and of course Va Tech players executed when they needed to and OSU didn't when they needed to do so.

And that's not to say that a perfect storm of sorts can't happen again. We won't know who prepares and executes better until after the game. As much as OSU fans are saying that the team wants to prove that last year was a fluke, I'm sure your guys are as determined to prove that it wasn't

And finally the pressure is all on the Buckeyes. Not only as the defending NC's who want to repeat, but they probably want to rout the Hokies. We know what happens all too often when a team is more concerned about the point spread and looking good than winning. They often don't.

And finally, I'm expecting a tough and loud crowd. If the game is close, the fans motivate their players, and OSU starts to feel the pressure, you now have another perfect storm.

I hope I'm wrong about all of the above, but if I were a VT fan, I wouldn't downplay the potential for another victory.

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
What does he have to adapt to? We have the same defensive philosophy weve had for years and our offense sure as hell isnt hard to figure out. Its not like we showed up with some creative scheme that caught him off guard. Our guys executed and their guys didnt.

The defensive philosophy is largely the same, the implementation of it was a bit different... or did you not read about Bud tweaking things last year for Ohio State?

Regarding adjustments -- if you like Beamer's "style" against Meyer's because of some perceived advantage, don't you think Urban Meyer would adjust to negate whatever advantage the Hokies may have from a "style" standpoint? At the end of the day we were fortunate to catch Ohio State early in the season... they were green on the O-line and in the secondary, and their WR play was much different at the end of the season. That's not going to be something we can take advantage of this season.

I am willing to bet that this year, their guys will execute and as hard as we may try, in the end we will not execute nearly enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
klemman,

If VT had a history of consistently pulling upsets against top 5 teams, then you might be right about not underselling our ability to do it again. However, unfortunately for us, last year's game was the exception and not the rule during Beamer's tenure, and really for the history of VT football.

We could've beat #1 GT in '90, should've beat #1 Miami in '01, did beat #3 Miami in '03, should've beat #2 Auburn in '04, did beat #5 WVU in '05 and did beat #1 Ohio State in '14 (all rankings year-end)...but those are about the only close games against top 5 opponents that I can ever recall in VT history. That's a damn short list considering how many times we've taken the field against these types of teams. Usually, we just show up unprepared and under-coached on offense and special teams and stink up the joint on national TV, totally embarrassing our program and our fans in the process (a Beamer trademark). Who knows...maybe it will be different this time.

We should be better on both sides of the ball this season than we were last season. I will be highly disappointed if we lose to the team from Ohio.

It will be a good game to start the season. The eyes of college football will certainly be in Blacksburg. Hampton Roads I hope that you are disappointed. I know you support Va Tech as much as you hate OSU. Outside of the improvement in the Hokies, what specifics do you see occurring to support your prediction?

It will be a good game to start the season. The eyes of college football will certainly be in Blacksburg. Hampton Roads I hope that you are disappointed. I know you support Va Tech as much as you hate OSU. Outside of the improvement in the Hokies, what specifics do you see occurring to support your prediction?

Well, they have beaten the team before, which helps mentally. Still, it will rest on the shoulders of the offense. Move the chains, eat some clock, put some points on the board, and the D will do their part. VT controlled time of possession 33:30 TO 26:30 last time. They have to repeat that to have a chance. VT has to start off fast. Stop OSU and put some points on the board. OSU gets down to VT at Blacksburg, and they gonna start feeling one hell of a lot of pressure.

Tough task for VT, but they did it last year.

I don't think OSU has to be down on the scoreboard to start feeling the pressure. Many outside of Blacksburg and the Hokie fan base expect OSU to come in with a dominating performance to prove a point. As I keep saying, anytime in sport when you are more concerned about routing a team than beating them, you put yourself at risk of losing.

Even with a small lead going into the 4th quarter, OSU will be the one with the pressure against them.

I don't think OSU has to be down on the scoreboard to start feeling the pressure. Many outside of Blacksburg and the Hokie fan base expect OSU to come in with a dominating performance to prove a point. As I keep saying, anytime in sport when you are more concerned about routing a team than beating them, you put yourself at risk of losing.

Even with a small lead going into the 4th quarter, OSU will be the one with the pressure against them.
Yeah, that is true

The prospect of beating the #1 team in the country on national TV in your own home is a lot of pressure... Ohio State has the experience of losing last year and STILL winning a national title to lean on. I disagree with most of the talking heads -- VT has more to lose here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT