ADVERTISEMENT

2016 BB commits?

Hokie81

Team Captain
Dec 27, 2007
I've looked at several sites and according to them, prospects are not looking to commit to VT, ..

I think VT signed an incredible class last year, just concerned VT has 0 commits for 2016, ...

VT will start getting the kids once they prove they can win consistently. That's true for any program....

Not knocking what Buzz has done, just saying if you want a big time class you have to win consistently. One good recruiting class doesn't mean you are back, let's see if Buzz can win with them. If he does your classes will get even better. Plus outside of the UK's and Dukes of the world some coaches recruit kids that fit their style of play. Maybe Buzz is getting picky after a solid 2015 class.

Obviously, VT is not back, but seems like we'd have a commit by now. Work in process, ...

So, how did they get the very good 2015 class after several abysmal seasons???
Probably based on the coach and his history. I'm excited about bball this year. I think it's all up from here, at least for a few years until we plateau. Hopefully that plateau will be in the top 3rd of the acc.

I think VT signed an incredible class last year, just concerned VT has 0 commits for 2016, ...
Don't worry about 2016, right now recruits know we've been recruiting very well the last two classes and that we only have one scholarship currently available for the 2016 class without attrition. Look ahead to 2017 which should be the next big recruiting year for BB with 6 scholarships open for that class.

Reactions: Hokie81
True, we're finally gonna have some good height/length at center with Satchel and Johnny! What position is biggest need for the one 2016 scholly?

True, we're finally gonna have some good height/length at center with Satchel and Johnny! What position is biggest need for the one 2016 scholly?
I think if you look at who he's returning in 2016 you will have 3 point guards, and 4-5 players interchangeable at the 2&3 positions, 3 players at the 4 position, and 3 at the 5 position (Blackshear interchangeable between 4&5 and Clark interchangeable between 3&4). That's my guess as to how Buzz would most often use them. So, a good mix at all positions. Of course several haven't played college BB yet, or for us in the case of the two JUCO's, but they all have good credentials so we will have to wait and see who steps up. But if they do all play well enough to provide good depth at all the positions he could just go for the best player he can get with the 2016 scholly, or, we still don't have a proven "true" power forward at this point, and could go after that one. Clark is a stretch 4, I think, and Blackshear has the right frame as that "true PF" if he develops well. So, if a "can't miss" type prospect at any position wants to come I could see Buzz locking down on him, if not he may wait and see how his PF position develops in 2015 before he commits the last scholly, or just lock down the best PF he can get. And we shouldn't be surprised if a second player leaves after 2015 over playing time.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
Not knocking what Buzz has done, just saying if you want a big time class you have to win consistently. One good recruiting class doesn't mean you are back, let's see if Buzz can win with them. If he does your classes will get even better. Plus outside of the UK's and Dukes of the world some coaches recruit kids that fit their style of play. Maybe Buzz is getting picky after a solid 2015 class.

Maybe the only time I will ever agree with Hoo19. The talent is greatly improved but its going to be a little harder to add depth until Buzz wins a little more in the ACC.

Proof is in the pudding, look at UVA's 2016 class....just added another 5 star today, best class since Sampson. Winning brings better recruiting, VT will see the same if Buzz can win consistently.

The transfer from Memphis and today's signing are both 5 stars plus three 4 stars. May not be Kentucky but a great class by any standards.

Jolly it all depends on the site you are looking at.....Diakite is a 5 on other sites and the transfer was a 5 when he signed with Memphis. Regardless of which site you use this is the best class since Sampson..

Jolly it all depends on the site you are looking at.....Diakite is a 5 on other sites and the transfer was a 5 when he signed with Memphis. Regardless of which site you use this is the best class since Sampson..
I was looking at UVA's Rivals site. But yes, its like some of our 3 star recruits on Rivals site are 4 star recruits on other sites too. At any rate I think we both have some excellent recruits to be excited about and the series will be competitive again. This is probably our best class too since Curry.

Last edited:

Looking....looking....not seeing it. Rivals, ESPN, 247 and Scout all say 4star. Nichols was a 5star 2 yrs ago. Congrats on Diakite though. replaces Sasha that you lost.

Hoo19 I forgot to mention Nichols. I don't really think in terms of a transfer's high school stars, not after they've played college ball. Nichols proved to be a high quality player at Memphis, just like our transfer Seth Allen did at Maryland. There's a lot of similarity in the quality of our respective recruiting already, with UVA, since Buzz arrived.

The good news for you Jolly is Buzz has no where to go but up......VT should get better for sure. 247 is now saying UVA has the #1 composite ranked recruiting class for 2016, I don't expect they will finish #1 but no way you can say Buzz is equal with UVA at this point.

No way VT is anywhere near UVA at the moment but there is no way they can be worse off under Buzz than they were under James Johnson....god that was a dumpster fire of a hire.

I agree 100%... Buzz is not a step better, he's a leap better than Johnson.

Hoo19, I haven't said anything about equality, what are you referring to? Equal at what?

If you are talking about the transfers, yes I think proven players like Nichols and Allen are pretty much a wash, yes.

Last edited:
Hoo19, I haven't said anything about equality, what are you referring to? Equal at what?

If you are talking about the transfers, yes I think proven players like Nichols and Allen are pretty much a wash, yes.
I agree on Nichols and Allen......only issue I ever saw with Allen was he didn't like to share the ball, LOL. But he was a great get for VT.

Not for one fleeting second have I ever thought that we are as good as UVA at BB. We hired a very good coach who has recruited for one year and done so successfully. We were in the basement of the ACC last year and we deserved to be there. If we end up in the middle of the pack and can go to the NIT I will feel that Buzz has done a hell of a job. Let him build from there (and I think he will ).

Actually 2 years recruiting (albeit with a late start in the first year) and over that period he has added 6 players who were rated 4 stars by one or more recruiting services. So, you got to have the players first, and that's an outstanding job of closing the gap in a hurry. This will be the most anticipated season in a long while with all this new young talent hitting the hardwood for the Hokies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT