ADVERTISEMENT

3-0, ranked 13th and..

Not much to complain about these days. The offense continues to far exceed expectations, special teams continues to look good when Slye isn't shanking them, and the defense is what it is.

My very small wish list would include an offense that started out of the gates a little quicker, although the way it gets rolling in the 2nd halves of games the last 2 years, I don't guess it matters much unless we're playing Clemson...and the secondary still has periods where it couldn't cover my grandmother on a skinny post.

We also need better depth on defense, but that situation will probably work itself out as we continue winning and recruiting takes on that inevitable uptick.

Overall, I'm just enjoying the ride and keeping my fingers crossed that we can avoid the injury bug. Otherwise, we're in pretty good shape right now. Go get 'em, guys!

Not much to complain about these days. The offense continues to far exceed expectations, special teams continues to look good when Slye isn't shanking them, and the defense is what it is.

My very small wish list would include an offense that started out of the gates a little quicker, although the way it gets rolling in the 2nd halves of games the last 2 years, I don't guess it matters much unless we're playing Clemson...and the secondary still has periods where it couldn't cover my grandmother on a skinny post.

We also need better depth on defense, but that situation will probably work itself out as we continue winning and recruiting takes on that inevitable uptick.

Overall, I'm just enjoying the ride and keeping my fingers crossed that we can avoid the injury bug. Otherwise, we're in pretty good shape right now. Go get 'em, guys!

Being ranked 13th after playing a soft non-conference schedule is nice but too early to brag about. The real meat of the schedule starts with UNC followed by Duke, Miami, and Georgia Tech. Fuentes had a good game plan against Clemson last year but Clemson may even be better than last year after watching them dismantle Looeyville last week.
Anything is possible if Bud can stir up his troops and we can get a running game going.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Our ranking should not have improved to where we are now by who we have played thus far.

After we beat ODU we'll be 12th or something then we'll get a wake up call vs Clemson.

Play Clemson close, then beat UNC, Pitt, GT and I would agree to being ranked 13th.

I like what I see but we need more depth on our D line and more than 1 WR to be a top 10 team. We can't keep spotting teams points then turn it on in the 2nd half and keep winning. It's exciting but it ain't no future in it.

I like our chances vs Clemson. Win that one and we should be favored in all remaining games. I like our chances to go 12-0. Now granted, we seem to always find a way to lose to some inferior team every year.

Part of the ranking may be due to West Virginia. West Virginia has dismantled the two teams it played after us. Even if they were cupcakes they still dominated like a top ten team. So that makes our win against them appear all the better. Although I really do not believe the first game really counts as you haven't resolved all your offensive issues by game one.

Someone should do an analysis of average score of first game versus rest of the year. But even that is skewed because a lot of teams schedule cupcakes for the first game to tune up the offense.

We have more than our share of cupcakes this season.

I say replace Delawares and ODUs with our old friends at Nebraska and TX a&m.

I like playing ODU. I am up for replacing Delaware though. I will be good for our program to do a home and home with ODU as playing every other year in Norfolk would be ideal. Since it is where we recruit the hardest.

I saw this morning that Louisville has cupcakes in their next 2 games. I hope Pollsters take a look at who plays cupcakes when they cast their ballot. Selection Committee also come playoff time.

Our no. 13 ranking is also a product of what the other teams ahead of us have been doing or not doing, added to the one good win over WVU. I doubt many voters really paid much attention to ECU or Delaware, although the 64 points might have caught a few eyes even if ECU stinks. When you beat a bad team 64-17 that's what top 10 teams are supposed to do. So IMO the 13th ranking is okay for now until the real validation games start.

I saw this morning that Louisville has cupcakes in their next 2 games. I hope Pollsters take a look at who plays cupcakes when they cast their ballot. Selection Committee also come playoff time.
So I guess Delaware, ECU and ODU aren't cupcakes? Everybody plays cupcakes especially the SEC schools.

Technically ECU is not a cupcake. In past years I am sure they would beat UVA. Delaware and ODU are certainly cupcakes. I think ODU is in the big boy league now so it counts even if they are a cupcake. Of course, we have to beat them first.

Technically ECU is not a cupcake. In past years I am sure they would beat UVA. Delaware and ODU are certainly cupcakes. I think ODU is in the big boy league now so it counts even if they are a cupcake. Of course, we have to beat them first.
I think the way ECU is now they would have a great game with UVA....VT will destroy ODU, don't kid yourself.

Our ranking should not have improved to where we are now by who we have played thus far.

The problem with statements like this is you have to find teams who are more worthy... and maybe you can make an argument for 1-2 teams, but I doubt you can make a convincing case for many more.

I like our chances vs Clemson [...] I like our chances to go 12-0.

You like to drink, apparently.

Now granted, we seem to always find a way to lose to some inferior team every year.

If this is indeed true, then why on earth would you make the other two ridiculous statements? Your commentary on the SEC and Virginia Tech is entertaining, but poor logic doesn't look good on anyone.

In the past 17 years, most VT losses came in games in which VT was the favorite. ECU isn't a cupcake, despite their record. Over the past few years, ECU has given us more trouble than most teams. ODU won 10 games last year, including a bowl game.

Now if we had played W&M, UConn and Indiana, at home to open season,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Does anybody watch college football outside of VT? We beat a damn good WVU team on the national stage. At this point what other teams have played more than one equally competative team? Very few, If any. Its dumb to schedule a tough OOC schedule, especially this early in the season. And our ranking? If not us, then who is more deserving? FSU is 0-1 without their starting QB and they are still ranked ahead of us. Miami has played 1 game and they are ranked right behind us. From what OhioSt has shown do they deserve a top 10 ranking? Does beating them at their place really make Oklahoma a top 3 team? Florida is garbage this year, beat a garbage UT team on a last second TD and that is deserving of a top 20 ranking? Wisconsin hasnt played anybody yet. Washington hasnt played anybody yet. Michigan hasnt played a road game yet. UGAs only worth wild win was @ ND. Auburn...hell, all of these teams are still big question marks at this point. IMO, thus far, there is Bama, Clemson, OkSt, USC and then everybody else.

In the past 17 years, most VT losses came in games in which VT was the favorite. ECU isn't a cupcake, despite their record. Over the past few years, ECU has given us more trouble than most teams. ODU won 10 games last year, including a bowl game.

Now if we had played W&M, UConn and Indiana, at home to open season,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
LMAO.....ODU has announced they are starting a 17 year old Freshman QB, I like VT's chances. UNCheat put over 50 points on them and UNC isn't as good as usual. If VT doesn't hang 60 on them you should be disappointed.

VT should score 60+. If ODU crosses midfield on VT defense, I will be not happy. If VT has to punt, I not be happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT