ADVERTISEMENT

***3.23 VT Recruiting INsider***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, this obviously won't be a daily thing, but lots going on right now and wanted to update you guys on everything going on.

First off, I spoke with sources on the Notre Dame staff about Dudley (NC) three-star QB Hendon Hooker. They've told me they aren't taking another quarterback after they took a commitment from three-star QB Avery Davis. That, plus the factors I've listed before on here, like Mook Reynolds, Matt Canada leaving NC State for Pitt, where Hooker hasn't visited, etc. and the odds are about 97% now that Hooker will choose VT when he announces tomorrow. NC State is one to watch here as they've been in contact the most, but it sounds like the Hokies will win this battle.

Still trying to nail down the exact stuff on Hooker's announcement, but I'm told that it's on ESPN Radio in Greensboro and will be around 6 pm tomorrow. That is very subject to change, once I get the finalized details. But for now, that's what I'm told.

Benedictine (Va.) four-star LB Ellis Brooks will be announcing his decision at 12:30 pm tomorrow. And unfortunately in this case, it's about 97% in favor of Duke. I spoke with some VT staff sources earlier in the day who didn't feel good about the Hokies' chances. I also spoke to sources in Brooks' camp, who told me that Duke will be the pick. Worth keeping an eye on, but don't expect VT to win this battle.

I also spoke at length with Hylton (Va.) assistant coach John Harris. He accompanied 2018 stud RB Ricky Slade and his dad, Ricky Sr. to VT for a visit today. It's Hylton's spring break. Slade was sleeping in the car when I talked to Harris, so nothing direct from him just yet, but it will come over the next few days.

Harris did tell me this was Slade's first visit to VT since the Ohio State game, so it was the first chance he had to talk with Justin Fuente and the new staff. Harris told me that he and the Slades watched the Hokies in the weight room, sat in on meetings and spoke more at length with assistant coach Zohn Burden offensive coordinator Brad Cornelsen.

"He really got to know 'em better," Harris said. "He's seen a lot of the stuff. But it was more of a junior day for him." Harris told me they also liked seeing things under construction because "that means it's gonna be new for the next few years." Harris said they don't have any plans to return to Blacksburg right now, but will definitely get back for a game this fall. He told me it will likely be the Liberty game, since that best fits Hylton's football schedule right now.

Finally, I've also confirmed through my Rivals network sources that Lackey (Md.) four-star linebacker Nathan Proctor will be visiting VT Friday. Proctor is ranked No. 234 in the Rivals250. Recap coming on him after his visit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News