ADVERTISEMENT

35 Days......have waited a long time for this series to come back

Naw, VT-36, WVA-10.

Bud Foster's defense gives the ball to our Offense 2 extra times and even scores once.

Really don't know what to make of this game. I do not believe it will be a high-scoring affair though. Too many unknowns on this one. I hope all goes well so that we can renew the rivalry.

Really don't know what to make of this game. I do not believe it will be a high-scoring affair though. Too many unknowns on this one. I hope all goes well so that we can renew the rivalry.

Back in the day it was a great rivalry. But somewhere along the line, it became pretty ugly with the WVa fans which is why they ended the series. Lets hope for a good game at Fedex and that the fans for both teams show some sportsmanship and class.

here's to an injury free classic.......WVU 35 Va Tech 24 ........Will Grier does just enough
This year might be the most blind I've ever been heading into a VT season. Fed Ex might as well be the first time I've ever seen VT play in my life, given how different everything is going to look for us.

Hope the new look doesn't stink the place up.

we
Back in the day it was a great rivalry. But somewhere along the line, it became pretty ugly with the WVa fans which is why they ended the series. Lets hope for a good game at Fedex and that the fans for both teams show some sportsmanship and class.[/QUO
This year might be the most blind I've ever been heading into a VT season. Fed Ex might as well be the first time I've ever seen VT play in my life, given how different everything is going to look for us.

Hope the new look doesn't stink the place up.
we did have some fans that were and are unruly, but if you think we have cornered the market on that you are sorely mistaken. When my son was in junior high he was verbally and physically abused by some tech "fans". in your stadium...and you all were winning that night. I think you need to get the idea of ugly fans ending the series out of your head. Coach Beamer didn't want any more of WV after the slapping incident during the 28-7 beatdown

we

we did have some fans that were and are unruly, but if you think we have cornered the market on that you are sorely mistaken. When my son was in junior high he was verbally and physically abused by some tech "fans". in your stadium...and you all were winning that night. I think you need to get the idea of ugly fans ending the series out of your head. Coach Beamer didn't want any more of WV after the slapping incident during the 28-7 beatdown
Geez. I thought we played in 2005 with the score VT 34 WVU 17. :)

OK - Snow Sled baby - more flaming your way LOL. The last 10 games VT has won 7.
Seriously though we are breaking in a new quarterback (undecided who yet) and new receivers so not expecting too much on offensive side. Our defense should be decent but our backfield is inexperienced so again we are vulnerable. Good luck and if you are there stop by our tailgate. You will be welcome.

Reactions: nickw79
Back in the day it was a great rivalry. But somewhere along the line, it became pretty ugly with the WVa fans which is why they ended the series. Lets hope for a good game at Fedex and that the fans for both teams show some sportsmanship and class.
As a WVU fan who has literally been spat upon by VT fans walking into Lane Stadium, I can vouch that it's a two way street and there is very little basis beyond conference scheduling changes for why the series was put on hold. Hoping for a great game in which the Mounties win, but merely happy to renew the rivalry.

As a WVU fan who has literally been spat upon by VT fans walking into Lane Stadium, I can vouch that it's a two way street and there is very little basis beyond conference scheduling changes for why the series was put on hold. Hoping for a great game in which the Mounties win, but merely happy to renew the rivalry.
It must have been a lisp.

we

As I said, I hope that its a good game and both sides display class and sportsmanship. I also stand by my comment that the series had gone beyond the bounds of what was deemed acceptable and the administration of Virginia Tech put it on hold, not to accommodate some scheduling change or that Coach Beamer was somehow afraid of playing WVU. Lets hope for a good game and that we can renew the rivalry.

I can say no team has ever refused to bring their cheerleaders into Lane Stadium, can you ?

You have a picture of a dog murderer in your profile pic, and you're crying about fan behavior and cheerleaders?

"Murder" does not apply to animals... not that I agree at all with killing animals without cause. But nice diversion since the argument was regarding safety and civility at Tech/WVU football games. Tech fans are not in any way innocent as a group, but it is plainly obvious that WVU fans were (still are?) collectively worse. Hopefully there isn't any trouble between fan bases because I would like to see this rivalry renewed more frequently as well!

"Murder" does not apply to animals... not that I agree at all with killing animals without cause. But nice diversion since the argument was regarding safety and civility at Tech/WVU football games. Tech fans are not in any way innocent as a group, but it is plainly obvious that WVU fans were (still are?) collectively worse. Hopefully there isn't any trouble between fan bases because I would like to see this rivalry renewed more frequently as well!

Was more than killing, it was torture. Sick stuff. Mike Vick and his brother were both scum bags.

Back on topic... I've made my fair share of road trips over the years (LSU, Auburn, Maryland, Pitt, USF, Marshall, Louisville, Wisconsin, Cincy, etc), and Blacksburg had the worst fan behavior I've ever seen... by far. A VT fans threw keys thrown at me in 2004. Hope he had fun finding a ride home.

Our fan bases have always been very similar, whether Hokie fans want to admit it or not.

Reactions: Bronco-eer
Was more than killing, it was torture. Sick stuff. Mike Vick and his brother were both scum bags.

Back on topic... I've made my fair share of road trips over the years (LSU, Auburn, Maryland, Pitt, USF, Marshall, Louisville, Wisconsin, Cincy, etc), and Blacksburg had the worst fan behavior I've ever seen... by far. A VT fans threw keys thrown at me in 2004. Hope he had fun finding a ride home.

Our fan bases have always been very similar, whether Hokie fans want to admit it or not.

1. Yeah, what they did to dogs was sick. I am glad he served time in prison -- and he's a much better man now because of it. I am glad to see how he's made changes in his life, and that's a credit to him and those who cared enough about him to work with him to make said changes.

2. Our fan bases have NOT been very similar as quite a number of schools share the same stories as VT fans... you don't typically hear other fan bases talking about VT the way WVU fans do. I would, without hesitation, bet that Pitt fans would see the WVU fanbase as being more disdainful than the VT fanbase. I readily admit that there are bad apples in every bunch -- but the pattern of behavior was more common with WVU than most other schools.

1. Yeah, what they did to dogs was sick. I am glad he served time in prison -- and he's a much better man now because of it. I am glad to see how he's made changes in his life, and that's a credit to him and those who cared enough about him to work with him to make said changes.

2. Our fan bases have NOT been very similar as quite a number of schools share the same stories as VT fans... you don't typically hear other fan bases talking about VT the way WVU fans do. I would, without hesitation, bet that Pitt fans would see the WVU fanbase as being more disdainful than the VT fanbase. I readily admit that there are bad apples in every bunch -- but the pattern of behavior was more common with WVU than most other schools.

Of course Pitt fans would have those kind of stories about WVU. We're hated rivals. I have horror stories from tripes there too, but not as bad as VT.

I can think of many incidents involving VT fans. How about Tommy Bowden getting drilled in the head by a liquor bottle in Lane Stadium?

Or how about this sign on campus after Jose Fernandez died last year?

offensive-virginia-tech-sign-about-jose-fernandez.jpg

Also remember Nebraska fans saying how terrible VT fans were a few years back.

Agree and agree about the Vicks...not that the school that Pacman Jones went to has any right to throw stones.

I also agree about plenty of distasteful stuff happening between VT and Miami...like you said, hated rivals.

But you're dead wrong about Nebraska fans. I spent a LOT of time on all of the Nebraska message boards during those two years, and VT was universally considered one of their favorite opposing fanbases of all time. We had several dozen Husker visitors that posted here regularly for a while, too... again, nothing but praise.

Agree and agree about the Vicks...not that the school that Pacman Jones went to has any right to throw stones.

I also agree about plenty of distasteful stuff happening between VT and Miami...like you said, hated rivals.

But you're dead wrong about Nebraska fans. I spent a LOT of time on all of the Nebraska message boards during those two years, and VT was universally considered one of their favorite opposing fanbases of all time. We had several dozen Husker visitors that posted here regularly for a while, too... again, nothing but praise.

We didn't name a building after Pacman...

Maybe thinking of the wrong team when I mentioned Nebraska.

That's only because Pacman never donated a million of anything except girlfriend beatings.

BTW, a ton of VT fans were none too happy about the Vick building (see articles in the Roanoke Times about it). The AD said it really caught him by surprise, but Vick is still disliked quite considerably nearly everywhere you go.

I would not have named a building after him, but they didn't even ask me for some reason.

That's only because Pacman never donated a million of anything except girlfriend beatings.

BTW, a ton of VT fans were none too happy about the Vick building (see articles in the Roanoke Times about it). The AD said it really caught him by surprise, but Vick is still disliked quite considerably nearly everywhere you go.

I would not have named a building after him, but they didn't even ask me for some reason.

Bottom line... your fanbase is no different than ours, and there are plenty of stories to prove it.

I'm not even complaining. Just own up to it.

Of course Pitt fans would have those kind of stories about WVU. We're hated rivals. I have horror stories from tripes there too, but not as bad as VT.

I can think of many incidents involving VT fans. How about Tommy Bowden getting drilled in the head by a liquor bottle in Lane Stadium?

Or how about this sign on campus after Jose Fernandez died last year?

offensive-virginia-tech-sign-about-jose-fernandez.jpg

Also remember Nebraska fans saying how terrible VT fans were a few years back.

When did I ever claim VT fans were saints... or even better than most other fanbases? You can find stupidity anywhere there are tens of thousands of people, quite a number of whom are drinking. So none of this surprises me -- but I will counter your Nebraska statement with this... http://www.hokiesports.com/football/recaps/20090924aab.html

I'd say that overall VT fans are middle-of-the-road in the ACC. A few schools are worse, many about the same, and a few that are definitely better.

West Virginia has been written about ad nauseum, and for good reason. The bad press is not difficult to find. As such, WVU consistently ranks among the lowest of all schools in the FBS.

And the people who have started campaigns to prevent him from being honored need to look in the mirror and ask themselves why they choose to keep hate and resentment toward someone who has changed considerably in the past decade. All evidence right now suggests that Vick is what you would hope to achieve when sentencing someone to prison, and his celebrity adds to the visibility even though he isn't seeking headlines for himself.

Of course, those who hold animals in the same regard (or even greater) than people have a few screws loose...

Bottom line... your fanbase is no different than ours, and there are plenty of stories to prove it.

I'm not even complaining. Just own up to it.

Funny, all of your posts are in this very thread -- you have no credibility. Suggesting that our two fanbases are the same is comical. Isolated incidents != patterns of behavior.

Funny, all of your posts are in this very thread -- you have no credibility. Suggesting that our two fanbases are the same is comical. Isolated incidents != patterns of behavior.

Why are you surprised all my posts are in this thread? Its about vt-wvu and we haven't played in 12 years.

Every incident is isolated. VT has many of them, just like WVU does. Very similar fanbases. End of story

Why are you surprised all my posts are in this thread? Its about vt-wvu and we haven't played in 12 years.

Every incident is isolated. VT has many of them, just like WVU does. Very similar fanbases. End of story

You've been a member since 2008, and your only posts are here. Again, you've got no credibility. You also didn't address the link I posted earlier as a rebuttal to your claims regarding Nebraska.

And I am doubting you'll get many Pitt, Louisville, Miami, Boston College, or Syracuse fans to agree with you regarding the comparison between WVU and VT.

You've been a member since 2008, and your only posts are here. Again, you've got no credibility. You also didn't address the link I posted earlier as a rebuttal to your claims regarding Nebraska.

And I am doubting you'll get many Pitt, Louisville, Miami, Boston College, or Syracuse fans to agree with you regarding the comparison between WVU and VT.

Wrong again... I have probably 15-20 thousand posts (way too many) on the WVU premium board, main board, college basketball board.

I guess these are my first posts on this board since they upgraded recently.

Like I already said. I was wrong about nebraska. It was Boise State that I was thinking of. I posted a link.

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/opin...cle_2a985a6c-7f92-5853-b900-522b56757d2d.html

Wrong again... I have probably 15-20 thousand posts (way too many) on the WVU premium board, main board, college basketball board.

I guess these are my first posts on this board since they upgraded recently.

Yes, I was referring to this particular forum. Your only posts in this forum, with VT fans, are in this thread. You've got no credibility with this audience.

Yes, I was referring to this particular forum. Your only posts in this forum, with VT fans, are in this thread. You've got no credibility with this audience.

I have posted on here in the past, not sure why it says it was my first.

But again, I'm here because we play weekn1 for the first time in 12 years. You think I care about my credibility on a VT board? I'm just here posting facts.

Your fans are assholes to visiting fans, just like ours. Quit being a whiney b and own up to it.

Reactions: jrc9999
I have posted on here in the past, not sure why it says it was my first.

But again, I'm here because we play weekn1 for the first time in 12 years. You think I care about my credibility on a VT board? I'm just here posting facts.

Your fans are assholes to visiting fans, just like ours. Quit being a whiney b and own up to it.

I would own up to it if it were true. Unfortunately you are delusional. I have never suggested that VT fans were the model for other fanbases across the country. Far from it... but they are not in the same group with West Virginia. That's an absurd statement.

I would own up to it if it were true. Unfortunately you are delusional. I have never suggested that VT fans were the model for other fanbases across the country. Far from it... but they are not in the same group with West Virginia. That's an absurd statement.

Ok guy....

See ya 9/3

VT fans complaining a month before the game about fan behavior from over a decade ago?

Translation: Nothing football related to be excited about. WVU by 5 TDs.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
I don't think 5 TD's. I think maybe a relatively medium score like 20-10 or something like that. I doubt you get more than 3 offensive touchdowns on VT. I am not sold that we can do much offensively but then I am biased due to the ineptitude of our offense in the past. Perhaps this year will be different. However, we have to break in a new QB and receivers.

I don't think 5 TD's. I think maybe a relatively medium score like 20-10 or something like that. I doubt you get more than 3 offensive touchdowns on VT. I am not sold that we can do much offensively but then I am biased due to the ineptitude of our offense in the past. Perhaps this year will be different. However, we have to break in a new QB and receivers.

You aren't accounting for defensive TDs as well.

Freshman QB vs an unconventional defense that is proven to be effective. Sure WVU isn't returning a lot of starters, but the two deep is basically full of guys with a lot of experience. ... just like last year. We haven't had a bad defense since Tony Gibson took over, and we had A LOT of turnover in those years.

I just don't see where VT even comes close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT