ADVERTISEMENT

4* WR Grant Halloway is also a track star

Hokie81

Team Captain
Dec 27, 2007
Now that Patterson is a VT commit, is getting Grant Holloway the priority? With his blazing speed, hurdle ability, he looks like a very explosive player. Since 247's Crystal Ball is so cloudy, what are the chances VT lands him?

Holloway is a 2 sport star and wants to do both in college. Oregon and Florida have offered for track already. Surely if he is good enuff for Oregon to offer him in track, he is pretty darn good. Why hasn't VT offered him in track also? I know there is some overlap between the sports schedules but, it is not impossible to participate in both sports. Didn't Andre Davis do both at VT and also David Wilson?

Seems it would give VT an advantage to be the first to offer him in football and track. Does VT have any WR's that run a 4.27 40?

I think Halloway will continue to be pursued by VT as he has an offer from them. He would make a great WR and track star imo. JC Coleman also runs track. I would bet there are a number of schools that would love to give him a track scholly. i hope we get him.

Interesting article. If he wants to be a track guy...Oregon is the place to do it.

Rivals four-star wide receiver Grant Holloway runs a 4.32 40-yard dash and won four Virginia 6A individual state championships in track and field (long jump, high jump, 300-meter hurdles and 110-meter hurdles), and plans to compete in both at the college level.

With offers from Clemson, Georgia, Miami (Fla.), Michigan, North Carolina, Ole Miss, Penn State, Tennessee, Virginia and Virginia Tech, there are plenty of believers, but after seeing Oregon during his third-place showing in the long jump (24-09) at the USA track and field junior championships Holloway is hoping for an offer from the Ducks.

"It was a humbling experience how Oregon treats its track athletes – just the love they have," he said. "That's why it's called Track Town USA. Just from the track experience and the football facilities, I could see myself there. It was humbling just to be around. If I could go to Oregon I definitely would."

While he didn't get the chance to meet with the football coaches during the trip, he did take a tour of the facilities with Oregon wide receiver Devon Allen, who won the men's 2014 USA track and field outdoor national championship 110-meter hurdle title.

Holloway, who registered the nation's top prep long jump mark this season (25-8.75) and high jumped 7-1 as a sophomore, still doesn't have an offer from the Ducks, but said he expects one to come from the track program soon.

"I have a track scholarship coming July 1, but I know I have high interest in Oregon for football, but I don't know if I'll have the scholarship," he said. "I could try out for the team. I don't know how it will get put together."

That doesn't bother the 6-foot-2, 190-pound two-sport star, though, who insists he is considering programs whether they offer him for track and field or football.

"Either scholarship offer is fine with me," he said. "Because at least they are giving me a chance to show my talents."

On the football field, Holloway is one of the premier wide receivers in the country, ranking as a Rivals four-star talent and a top-250 prospect nationally.

So far, he said his top schools include Florida, Oregon, Tennessee, Virginia Tech and Georgia, but that could shift after a series of visits and the elusive offer from the Ducks.

"There's no real set date to commit, but I know what I'm looking for as it goes on," he said.

Now that Patterson is a VT commit, is getting Grant Holloway the priority? With his blazing speed, hurdle ability, he looks like a very explosive player. Since 247's Crystal Ball is so cloudy, what are the chances VT lands him?

Holloway is a 2 sport star and wants to do both in college. Oregon and Florida have offered for track already. Surely if he is good enuff for Oregon to offer him in track, he is pretty darn good. Why hasn't VT offered him in track also? I know there is some overlap between the sports schedules but, it is not impossible to participate in both sports. Didn't Andre Davis do both at VT and also David Wilson?

Seems it would give VT an advantage to be the first to offer him in football and track. Does VT have any WR's that run a 4.27 40?

He is offered for football and track at VT, but he only needs one scholarship. 100% expected he will participate in both sports if he enrolls at VT. If he plays football, he will come to VT. If he pursues track, he will go to Florida.

He is elite in track and already participates in world events. Hope I'm wrong, but I think he will pursue track only at Florida.

He does has a pretty good relationship with the track coach at UF and he has some buddies running down there. I've heard his coaches mention him having a shot at making the 2020 Olympics.

He is offered for football and track at VT, but he only needs one scholarship. 100% expected he will participate in both sports if he enrolls at VT. If he plays football, he will come to VT. If he pursues track, he will go to Florida.

He is elite in track and already participates in world events. Hope I'm wrong, but I think he will pursue track only at Florida.
I think he's ours to lose now.

I think he's ours to lose now.
I hope you are right. I know he has talked to David Wilson, which is probably a plus for us, but I have just always felt like the dude was going to ditch football and go solely track. And if that happens, 100% Florida.

I hope you are right. I know he has talked to David Wilson, which is probably a plus for us, but I have just always felt like the dude was going to ditch football and go solely track. And if that happens, 100% Florida.
Well anything could happen. I just have a really good feeling.

Reactions: VTSmitty
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT