ADVERTISEMENT

A Fuente-Foster marriage question for you Xs & Os guys

Salemite

All-Conference
Oct 20, 2004
How likely is it that we'll see a true Fuente offense this coming year?

Apparently he favors an up-tempo O, but given our total lack of quality depth on D, do you think well see up tempo very much? Seems a recipe for disaster unless we can pretty much go 2-deep everywhere -- and with quality.

Foster has said he'd like to coach alongside a fast hitting spread O, and I get that. It's appealing as heck. At the same time, I wonder if this is a good time to unveil it or if CJF will bide his time.

Insiders got any idea or football brains got any answers?

Do not fit the bill as an X&O guy but I agree with you on D depth. Our lack of depth told on us this year many times. Our guys were gassed sometimes in the 4'th quarter. This and a lack of quality starters in a few slots really hurt our D this year. I thought they did really well with what we had.
In short, we need some starters in some positions like LB and we need more D depth.
Adjusting to Fuente's O will take a while but I don't think he will slow down once everyone gets it.

Reactions: Salemite
Do not fit the bill as an X&O guy but I agree with you on D depth. Our lack of depth told on us this year many times. Our guys were gassed sometimes in the 4'th quarter. This and a lack of quality starters in a few slots really hurt our D this year. I thought they did really well with what we had.
In short, we need some starters in some positions like LB and we need more D depth.
Adjusting to Fuente's O will take a while but I don't think he will slow down once everyone gets it.
I agree especially about the poor LB play and the need to build depth at that position. I also think part of our problem (besides poor LB play) was the youth in the secondary. That (the secondary) should not be a problem next year, but the MLB remains a weak link. We'll see how it works out.

IMO, I think this whole fanbase better prepare for culture shock. I dont expect to see an "offense that helps the defense win" anymore and I think we see the difference on DAY#1.

How likely is it that we'll see a true Fuente offense this coming year?

Apparently he favors an up-tempo O, but given our total lack of quality depth on D, do you think well see up tempo very much? Seems a recipe for disaster unless we can pretty much go 2-deep everywhere -- and with quality.

Foster has said he'd like to coach alongside a fast hitting spread O, and I get that. It's appealing as heck. At the same time, I wonder if this is a good time to unveil it or if CJF will bide his time.

Insiders got any idea or football brains got any answers?

Pretty sure he'll use what he's been successful with right away, and the quick snaps play into that strategy. Bud should benefit from the cushion he gets from added scoring to offset any added time on the defense. Plus, Fuente runs a balanced offense which helps keep the clock running, maybe even a little more running than passing if we have good running back depth, as he uses a lot of different running backs.

My biggest question mark/concern is how the new LB coach will "jive" with Bud Foster and the way Foster utilizes the Lbers in his defensive schemes. I think we have plenty of talent on both sides of the ball, more than what Fuentes is used to seeing. Hell, hes probably salivating at the talent he is inheriting at VT! Maybe If they are forced to play more players on defense to be "deeper", we wont have so many leaving the program. Who knows....alot of uncertainty going into Bristol and Im already hearing shit from Vol fans after their bowl win. My life could become unbearable with a bad showing next Fall.

We had many skinny young kids in our defensive secondary depth chart this year and all of them had to play in the bowl game. When they knew who they were supposed to cover they did well.

With who's coming back along with who's coming in January and next Fall we're in great shape.

Our D line will be young but look for Tim Settle to star at DT and the rest of them to hold their own.

On O Fuente will have plenty to work with.

My biggest question mark/concern is how the new LB coach will "jive" with Bud Foster and the way Foster utilizes the Lbers in his defensive schemes. I think we have plenty of talent on both sides of the ball, more than what Fuentes is used to seeing. Hell, hes probably salivating at the talent he is inheriting at VT! Maybe If they are forced to play more players on defense to be "deeper", we wont have so many leaving the program. Who knows....alot of uncertainty going into Bristol and Im already hearing shit from Vol fans after their bowl win. My life could become unbearable with a bad showing next Fall.
IMO our talent is way down -- and almost everywhere. No way he is impressed with our talent. Just no freaking way.

But if somehow CJF is "salivating at the talent he is inheriting," we are in a world of $#*+ and he won't last 4 years. Obviously, I don't think that's the case.

We will just have to disagree on the matter of talent then. Its not worth getting another good thread locked.
I think Fuentes is a good developer of talent and I think he will inherit more talent at VT than he had at Illinois state, TCU and Memphis.

I don't think we have a load of talent but we're not destitute either. Depth is a problem but when isn't it? I'm looking forward to spring to see just what might emerge. As Big Daddy says Fuente does a good job developing players so there could be some sleepers, players that might thrive in his system. We're not going to the playoff next year but we might have enough to challenge for the Coastal if we have a good spring and Jerod Evans is as good as advertised. My guess right now would be 8-4. 9-3 is probably a stretch with a challenging OOC and road schedule.

I don't think we have a load of talent but we're not destitute either. Depth is a problem but when isn't it? I'm looking forward to spring to see just what might emerge. As Big Daddy says Fuente does a good job developing players so there could be some sleepers, players that might thrive in his system. We're not going to the playoff next year but we might have enough to challenge for the Coastal if we have a good spring and Jerod Evans is as good as advertised. My guess right now would be 8-4. 9-3 is probably a stretch with a challenging OOC and road schedule.
The big question for a few weeks was "will Lawson develop into a great QB in Fuentes system?". Now, with one stroke, that question is on the back burner. We'll see a lot more of this. Just notice how many players are moving from one college to another now. Take Baylor, who was extremely impressive. They have a lot of JUCOs and transfers, at least it sure seemed like it. I think we'll have more, not less talent. And, for once, we'll be in the attack mode on both sides of the ball. And I don't think we'll see nearly as many games where we look like we're not prepared or have a lot of questionable calls on O. I know one thing, everybody's excited about next year.

Question.?most high scoring teams usually give up quite a few points as well..are on will you guys be ok giving up let's say thirty plus a game ..also.depth on d will be huge for you guys if you start scoring quickly. And I'm curious as well how ..how cjf and cbf mesh if if you guys become more offensive minded..

your new LB coach is CJF old D coordinator , I don't know how that combination works out. good luck to you on that!

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ia-tech-staff-with-ex-memphis-dc-galen-scott/

fwiw I come in peace, it just seems an odd situation.

Question.?most high scoring teams usually give up quite a few points as well..are on will you guys be ok giving up let's say thirty plus a game ..also.depth on d will be huge for you guys if you start scoring quickly. And I'm curious as well how ..how cjf and cbf mesh if if you guys become more offensive minded..
Start scoring quickly? I hope so. We'd love to have that "problem". Haven't had it for years. I think Bud would like to have that problem too.

I would just like to see an offensive system implemented. Seems we change our offensive system based on the personnel we recruit. Thats ass backward. You recruit the personnel to fit your system. You dont see Bud Foster changing his defense every few years based on his recruits. He might "tweak" it some but overall not much changes. No wonder our OL struggles, as soon as they learn a system it changes as does the OL coach.

Reactions: no.15
Whatever Fuente does on O he won't finalize until he has a very good feel for our personnel. Almost every article I read makes a comment about how good he is at adapting his O to the personnel he has for best effect.
As to the mild debate about whether or not we have a lot of talent I agree we have a lot of talent . The problem is we have a lot of holes and a lack of depth in some areas where we have talent. DE,LB,are two serious problem areas for us. We have depth at the DB's but I just hope they mature in their positions .
On O we will start with a new QB and 2 new back-ups. Our O line lost a starter and his back-up is still green. Our O line depth is, at this point, relatively inexperienced. We have 2 WR's. Forget the back-up.
I believe that Fuente will do really well this year but let's remember the huge task he has before him.

I would just like to see an offensive system implemented. Seems we change our offensive system based on the personnel we recruit. Thats ass backward. You recruit the personnel to fit your system. You dont see Bud Foster changing his defense every few years based on his recruits. He might "tweak" it some but overall not much changes. No wonder our OL struggles, as soon as they learn a system it changes as does the OL coach.
We do recruit to our system and always have. We just haven't been good (cf. the aforementioned coach) at it. That leaves us in the lurch somewhere -- at least.

We always tried to recruit for the O-system Frank wanted to run, and that he ran whenever he was able: a power running game that controlled clock and set up deep throws.

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
The punt system. We usually have a pretty good punter who. We keep good depth at punter too, since we usually have to punt 9 times per game and they get a little winded.
Haha! Sure seemed that way sometimes.
That or the bubble-screen system, maybe?

We always tried to recruit for the O-system Frank wanted to run, and that he ran whenever he was able: a power running game that controlled clock and set up deep throws.
VT hasn't even pretended to try to field a power running game in at least 5 years. The last time I saw a VT team come out with 2 TEs and a FB and pound the ball was with Ryan Williams against BC and Miami in 2009.

And that wasn't even a personnel issue, IMO. The kids we've had on the oline and at QB over that time span were MUCH better suited to try and pound it versus trying to pass it or run sideways with it or any of that other crap we've had them trying to do.

VT hasn't even pretended to try to field a power running game in at least 5 years. The last time I saw a VT team come out with 2 TEs and a FB and pound the ball was with Ryan Williams against BC and Miami in 2009.

And that wasn't even a personnel issue, IMO. The kids we've had on the oline and at QB over that time span were MUCH better suited to try and pound it versus trying to pass it or run sideways with it or any of that other crap we've had them trying to do.
The power run game is the system Frank wanted to recruit for. As nearly everyone admits now, we failed miserably in recruiting. That's why we could not make happen what Frank wanted. What looks to you we weren't recruiting for a particular system was not that at all. It was actually the result of failing to get the players we needed, and as a result, settling for way too many Plan C and D guys. End result: desperation on Offense, grasping at anything to generate first downs and points.

Was the power running game the actual "system" or merely the component of a system? Seems even the most pass happy offenses still want to run the ball.
The reason I ask, with Tyrod didnt Stiney spend the Summer in Nevada learning the Pistol offense for him and the Summer at Auburn learning the Cam Newton QB read option offense for Logan Thomas? And when Loeffler arrived didnt he switch everything to a more typical Pro style offense for Brewer?
The running game seemed to remain the same or at least the quest for such a game, but didnt the rest of the offense change from Tyrod to Logan to Brewer?

Saban & Frank share the same basic O philosophy and get away from it only when necessary. Ball control power run game that forces the D closer to the LOS. Then take shots. Everybody knows it. Frank has always been transparent about what he wants to run. You are correct; CFB added elements of other offenses -- but it was born of sheer desperation. We didn't get the pieces we needed. One example is the bubble screen business we ran nine million times. We did that so much b/c we had no OL to create running room.

Reactions: no.15 and VA4VT
So you think Fuentes spread system will be easier to recruit for?

Can't be any harder to recruit his offense than what we've had the past few years. I might be expecting too much but I think this JUCO kid is the real deal, plus TM is a stud....we stilll have Ford and Phillips.....we should have a legit offense next year.

3 runs and a punt puts the defense back on the field just as fast as a quick score.
No, it's been 2 runs, a sack, then a punt. The only games I saw otherwise was the Cincy bowl game last year and the Tulsa bowl game this past year. I am so over the predictable, during the season, same old O.

So you think Fuentes spread system will be easier to recruit for?

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. More than the offense on its own, I think what will be our biggest factor in recruiting improvement is that we already had everything else in place. Likeable, clean name brand, recognizable defense, family atmosphere, great facilities, etc. It appears from my perspective as if a long lost final piece to a puzzle has been found; the final cog to complete and able a complex and powerful operation. Kind of like one of those old tomb-raider games where Lara Croft places a tiny gear in to an assembly and this giant machine starts up, two giant stone doors slide open and and a bright lights shines down upon a 40 ft pile of gold, precious gems and treasure with hummingbirds hovering about while the glory of heaven, bestowed by God himself, entrenches every inch of her loveliness.

So, yea....I think after one season of having some offensive explosion, it will recruit itself.

Fuego came here to chew gum and kick ass and he left his hubba bubba at Graceland.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. More than the offense on its own, I think what will be our biggest factor in recruiting improvement is that we already had everything else in place. Likeable, clean name brand, recognizable defense, family atmosphere, great facilities, etc. It appears from my perspective as if a long lost final piece to a puzzle has been found; the final cog to complete and able a complex and powerful operation. Kind of like one of those old tomb-raider games where Lara Croft places a tiny gear in to an assembly and this giant machine starts up, two giant stone doors slide open and and a bright lights shines down upon a 40 ft pile of gold, precious gems and treasure with hummingbirds hovering about while the glory of heaven, bestowed by God himself, entrenches every inch of her loveliness.

So, yea....I think after one season of having some offensive explosion, it will recruit itself.

Fuego came here to chew gum and kick ass and he left his hubba bubba at Graceland.
Good take, but I see it differently -- just a bit. The last pieces imo are 1) every staff member a good-to-great recruiter, and 2) expansion of Lane. We may not be able to do #2, or at least not for a while, but from my pov, we cannot significantly advance the program until #1 is realized. That is the sine qua non.

Every staff member we have is not a good recruiter. It remains to be seen how the new coaches recruit including Fuente as well as Zohn but the rest of the staff is decent to poor.I don't personally know of any ace recruiters among them but there could be.

Every staff member we have is not a good recruiter. It remains to be seen how the new coaches recruit including Fuente as well as Zohn but the rest of the staff is decent to poor.I don't personally know of any ace recruiters among them but there could be.
Agree. "Decent to poor" is a good description of the returning coaches. That means even if we get "good to great" recruiters in the new guys it leaves us in pretty much the same position we've been in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT