ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball schedule

Apr 6, 2017
when are u guys ever going to play a respectable pre season schedule? Damn I thought N.C. state could find every cup cake in the world but y’all got em beat and wonder why year after year the ncaa selection committee just snubs your club...well man up and play a half arse competitive schedule .

Most schools get fat off cupcakes early in season. I see one ACC school has played the following powerhouses:

UNC-G
Austin Peay
Mommouth
Rhode Island
Lehigh
Davidson
Savannah State

I believe they played all these cupcakes at home. (maybe 1 or 2 on neutral court). Looks more like some Big South conference team's schedule, rather than ACC team.

Most schools get fat off cupcakes early in season. I see one ACC school has played the following powerhouses:

UNC-G
Austin Peay
Mommouth
Rhode Island
Lehigh
Davidson
Savannah State

I believe they played all these cupcakes at home. (maybe 1 or 2 on neutral court). Looks more like some Big South conference team's schedule, rather than ACC team.
Once again you show your ignorance about basketball......Rhode Island has an RPI of 18, UNC-G, Monmouth, Davidson and Savannah St. all have RPI’s in the 100-199 range. UVA has an RPI of 19th while VT is 89th......why the difference? Because you can’t say cupcake without talking about Buzz’s sorry scheduling. HR if you want to talk Basketball, learn a little bit about it first.

when are u guys ever going to play a respectable pre season schedule? Damn I thought N.C. state could find every cup cake in the world but y’all got em beat and wonder why year after year the ncaa selection committee just snubs your club...well man up and play a half arse competitive schedule .
We don’t “wonder why year after year the ncaa selection committee just snubs your club”. That’s baloney, and hasn’t even been an issue since the 2011 season. That’s a moronic post.

Once again you show your ignorance about basketball......Rhode Island has an RPI of 18, UNC-G, Monmouth, Davidson and Savannah St. all have RPI’s in the 100-199 range. UVA has an RPI of 19th while VT is 89th......why the difference? Because you can’t say cupcake without talking about Buzz’s sorry scheduling. HR if you want to talk Basketball, learn a little bit about it first.

Uh, not to defend HR6's basketball knowledge, but basketball metrics have nothing at all to do with the actual game, and even objective measures like RPI and SOS still have a subjective basis on some level.

Uh, not to defend HR6's basketball knowledge, but basketball metrics have nothing at all to do with the actual game, and even objective measures like RPI and SOS still have a subjective basis on some level.
But they are used every year for teams on the bubble.....having such a weak OCC can be a killer come March, Buzz should know better. Does he get a bonus based on number of wins? Otherwise it doesn’t make sense to play such a bad schedule every year.

granted 99% of all big schools play a lot of cupcakes. VT included. I have no idea how RPI is determined, but if UVA has a RPI in top 20, something ain't right somewhere. Only game that UVA has played that should even give them positive numbers pertaining to RPI, is their game with West Virginia, (and they lost that one).

granted 99% of all big schools play a lot of cupcakes. VT included. I have no idea how RPI is determined, but if UVA has a RPI in top 20, something ain't right somewhere. Only game that UVA has played that should even give them positive numbers pertaining to RPI, is their game with West Virginia, (and they lost that one).
Thanks for proving me right about your lack of Basketball knowledge......my work is done here.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
But they are used every year for teams on the bubble.....having such a weak OCC can be a killer come March, Buzz should know better. Does he get a bonus based on number of wins? Otherwise it doesn’t make sense to play such a bad schedule every year.

I don't disagree that we shouldn't be scheduling these teams, just that the metric itself is somewhat of a crap shoot and somewhat tangential to the actual game. That said, I'm not sure this team is tournament-quality regardless of our schedule. Too many holes.

99% of all teams play a lot of cupcakes.
It’s all about playing cupcakes that have RPI’s in the 100 to low 200’s.....not so many in the 300’s like VT has been doing. I just looked and VT has an RPI of 75 and a strength of schedule of 273......UVA has an RPI of 3 and strength of schedule of 42. If VT wins 10 conference games this doesn’t mean much but an 8-9 win season could mean missing the dance. Just play better cupcakes and stop playing JV teams, it could be the difference in Dancing in March.

with the schedule UVA has played, I am surprised their RPI isn't in the 300s. How did they get RPI of 3 ? Only even remotely decent teams they have played are VT, UNC and WV.

with the schedule UVA has played, I am surprised their RPI isn't in the 300s. How did they get RPI of 3 ? Only even remotely decent teams they have played are VT, UNC and WV.
Let me simplify it for you.....UVA schedule tougher than VT’s......UVA 15-1 with a tougher schedule than VT 13-5 with weaker schedule......thus we have much better RPI ranking. There, any 3rd grader can understand that explanation.

How many ranked teams has VT played ?

How many ranked teams has UVA played ?
UVA is 1-1 against the Top 25....4-1 against Top 50.
VT is 0-2 against the Top 25 ......0-5 against Top 50.

Hopefully this helps you understand why the big difference in RPI rankings.

How can anyone argue that VT is a better team than UVA this year in basketball regardless of who they played?

VT needs to get its act together pretty quick to make the NCAA. We have no quality wins and a really bad loss (St. Louis). We need to win our remaining home games in the ACC and a couple on the road along with a win or two in the ACC Tournament to have any chance at all. I think they would make us 23-10.

Reactions: kcwashing1
How can anyone argue that VT is a better team than UVA this year in basketball regardless of who they played?

VT needs to get its act together pretty quick to make the NCAA. We have no quality wins and a really bad loss (St. Louis). We need to win our remaining home games in the ACC and a couple on the road along with a win or two in the ACC Tournament to have any chance at all. I think they would make us 23-10.
Probably right. VT basketball is too "hit or miss" right now... pun intended. (Jump) shooting well, we're close to unbeatable. Otherwise, we need miracles to occur in other facets (rebounding, free throws, turnovers,..) in order to even compete.

I think you are right, going to be tough for VT to make the dance. Tough stretch coming up in schedule, will make or break VT.

Probably right. VT basketball is too "hit or miss" right now... pun intended. (Jump) shooting well, we're close to unbeatable. Otherwise, we need miracles to occur in other facets (rebounding, free throws, turnovers,..) in order to even compete.
The team shot pretty well against Louisville and that didn’t get it done. They lost because they couldn’t stop turning the ball over, and they couldn’t get any defensive stops in crunch time. Frankly, that’s a little unusual for a team that’s heavy on junior and senior guards. If they don’t stop constantly throwing the ball away against good competition they aren’t going to beat any of the teams in the top half of this conference, and unfortunately that’s most of their remaining games. Buzz is about out of time to get these two issues fixed with his team.

Tech desperately needs to win these next two home games or the post season discussion is all but over IMO. The stage is set that we are about to find out if Buzz is really worth what we pay him, because a team with this amount of talent and seniority and an elite coach should be dancing, not worrying about sloppy ball handling and bad defense tanking its season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT