ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

Hampton Roads 6

Hokie Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2003
I hear we are getting whipped in the Carrier Dome. Just another reason why Syracuse should not have been admitted to ACC.
Miami, BC and VT should have warned other ACC schools how hard it is to win in Carrier Dome, and not have invited them to join ACC.

I hear we are getting whipped in the Carrier Dome. Just another reason why Syracuse should not have been admitted to ACC.
Miami, BC and VT should have warned other ACC schools how hard it is to win in Carrier Dome, and not have invited them to join ACC.
Maybe you should have played some OCC games against somebody besides cupcakes....VT looked lost most of the game. Those 10 conference wins you need are going to be tough to get.

All road venues are tough to win in in the ACC. I wouldn’t take too much from this one game. Still 17 more to go. I do agree we might have been a little better prepared if we hadn’t scheduled 8 high school games in our OOC schedule, but not many other teams are going to win at SU either.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
All road venues are tough to win in in the ACC. I wouldn’t take too much from this one game. Still 17 more to go. I do agree we might have been a little better prepared if we hadn’t scheduled 8 high school games in our OOC schedule, but not many other teams are going to win at SU either.
I definitely agree all road wins are tough to come by.....we will see this with the Hoos coming to the barn Wednesday night.

It's that time between football season and baseball/softball season. But the National Championship game is Monday night.
It funny the only people I hear around town mentioning basketball are the small handful of UVA fans.

It's that time between football season and baseball/softball season. But the National Championship game is Monday night.
It funny the only people I hear around town mentioning basketball are the small handful of UVA fans.
No one around our town is talking about a Bama - Ga matchup.....who cares. People are talking about UVA - VT playing Wednesday night.

Sorry HR, that was an old fashion butt whipping.....To many cupcakes didn’t prepare your team very well. I guess scoring 100 is more fun than preparing your team for ACC play. Sure glad we got Bennett in Hooville.

Sorry HR, that was an old fashion butt whipping.....To many cupcakes didn’t prepare your team very well. I guess scoring 100 is more fun than preparing your team for ACC play. Sure glad we got Bennett in Hooville.
Bennett is an excellent coach. Doesn't have the most talented personnel in the country, but man are they disciplined. Just a bunch of quality players with super high basketball IQ's. That will win you a ton of games in today's college game.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
There’s an old saying “you are what you eat”. That could certainly be said about our basketball team right now.

I did not watch game, but That was a very embarrassing lost in my opinion. Losing that bad at home , to anyone, much less a bunch of misfits. I not know if VT was not ready to play or what. Even Duke nor UNC should ever beat VT that bad. Maybe VT was overconfident. Very embarrassing performance.on both ends of floor.

Watching the game last night I noticed a few things I was curious about VT fans take on.....it doesn’t appear to me that Buzz is as animated as he has been in the past, I would have expected him to be screaming and jumping around but he was just calmly watching. I have also noticed the players seem more one on one than normal, is this the offense? or are players not running the offense? Is VT’s offense based on running and running? Seems that way since Buzz doesn’t seem to go after many bigs, very guard heavy. That’s a tough way to play unless you have 5 guys that can score, like the NBA. I know you have talent that can shoot the 3 but the lack of an inside game can be a killer in conference. When TB kicked Nichols off UVA’s team last year it hurt us big time and I see that same problem for VT. Blackshear is good but needs help. I haven’t seen your recruiting class so maybe you have some bigs coming. I know you don’t give up after 2 conference games but VT has looked lost in both of those loses. Maybe they were bad match ups, what’s your thoughts?

I think we had a "bad game plan" last night. I think we maybe should have played a "slow down game" like UVA . If we had done this, results could not have been any worse. Losing by 26 points on home court is bad, no matter who opponent is.

When we were lighting up the high school teams in our OOC games we were getting wide open looks at the basket. In the first two ACC games, the defense has taken Hill and Bibbs off the 3 point line, and presto, the result is an offensive flow that is chaotic. That has resulted in a team that turns over the ball about a quarter of all its possessions. I think that has been the big difference. Even the last 2 high school teams we played tightened up their 3 point defense and had success against us, although not enough to win. I saw this coming, although worse than I thought, in the sense that I thought we would lose close games rather than not even being competitive. I was concerned what we would do when we no longer got those wide open looks.

As far as bigs, Buzz hasn’t been able to recruit the kind of bigs that can impact the game much at this level. He’s good at recruiting wings and guards, but hasn’t brought in even one ACC level power forward in 4 years now, and at this time, none are coming. Ironically, even with all the guards we have we are currently turning the ball over at an astronomical rate. That’s because the offensive flow has been bad which leads to the turnovers.

Buzz has recruited talent, but its a hot mess right now. Buzz needs to coach it up - in a hurry. My opinion is that could have been done by playing better teams during the OOC but he seemed satisfied to run defenseless competition out of the gym instead. Now he’s going to have to try to get his team better prepared on the fly against ACC teams. We are still only two games in so its still too early to jump off the bridge, but the natives are starting to get restless.

Maybe not jump off bridge, but some are probably scoping out the bridges. Probably even worse than scoring only 52 points, our defense allowed UVA to score 78. They would have trouble scoring 78 against a good high school team most nights.

The defense hasn’t been good most of the season though, the cupcakes It just masked it. The big difference is the ball not going through the hoop.

I honestly don’t know why we can’t defend better than we do though. I don’t know about Buzz’s “energy” but if he has lost it he better find it in a hurry, because he’s getting close to 3 million a year for that energy.

Maybe not jump off bridge, but some are probably scoping out the bridges. Probably even worse than scoring only 52 points, our defense allowed UVA to score 78. They would have trouble scoring 78 against a good high school team most nights.
Hoos scored more than average because VT continued to press even though it wasn’t working. Hoos got a lot of easy baskets and made a lot of 3’s. 23 points came off of 16 VT turnovers. I also noticed Bennett moved the pack line defense out closer to the 3 point line, usually it’s packed down tighter. I thought very effective move in taking away the open 3’s. They rotated and helped each other very well. Both teams have important games Saturday......VT needs a win and Pitt should be just the answer.....Hoos need a win against UNCheat if they really want to compete for the top of the conference.

Last edited:
I like to go with the IDGAF approach when it comes to other teams. I only worry about VT. And after the last two games, I get the feeling there will be a lot of worry this year.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
I would have been surprised if Cheat had won. The game went about like I expected it to.

UNC and Duke both lost on same day. That doesn't happen too often. But they both were on the road. Some teams never leave home.

Hoos look great. Much better than I thought. Figured more offense would be needed. They play basketball the way VT plays football. They are impressive. VT will go as the 3pt shooting will go... It's almost as if defense will be optional as the only defense will be how many turnovers can we get and how few turnovers can we commit. It's gonna be simple TV watching. 3pt % needs to be 40% or better with turnover difference of at least plus 5...

I heard Boo Hoos are now ranked 3rd. Boys and girls can we spell over ranked ?
Can’t believe we are that low.....LOL. Long season but Hoos are playing well right now. HR ask Buzz and Williams where they think we should be ranked? Definitely a top 10 team right now that no one wants to face.

If they ever have to play a road game, things might be different. I believe they have played 2 all season. Hopefully the NCAA tournament will be played somewhere other than John Jones' place.

If they ever have to play a road game, things might be different. I believe they have played 2 all season. Hopefully the NCAA tournament will be played somewhere other than John Jones' place.
Somebody gets this Bama fan a crying towel.....we beat your boys on the road, sure you didn’t realize that.

VT had a bad game plan vs. Boo Hoos.
LOL....what was VT’s game plan? What will the plan change to for the next meeting? Right now HR there is a big difference in the two programs. Until Buzz figures out he has to recruit and land some big guys life is going to be tough in the ACC. His run philosophy isn’t working against good teams and he is getting hurt on the boards without a better inside presence. Buzz is a good coach but he’s looking lost this year, maybe he needs to ditch the matre di suits and shave his head. The players in the past seem to feed off his curly antics, they are not off his stoic style this year. VT is on the bubble or below right now, it better change quick or you can look forward to hosting an NIT game. The game tonight is a game VT has to win, can’t lose to the bottom teams in the conference.

I think its still a little early in ACC play to be selling Buzz and our program short with 15 more conference games that still have to be played. Let’s see how it plays out. I don’t think we were ready to play conference ball after so many OOC cupcakes. But no question we need to win a couple of games we aren’t supposed to. If the team can get control of the TO’s Buzz’s talent may surprise you, we’ll see.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT