ADVERTISEMENT

Belk Bowl

Hampton Roads 6

Hokie Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2003
The more I think about it, the more I think VT got shafted. VT was the ACC Runner-Up and gets delegated to the Belk Bowl. We should have gotten a Florida Bowl. I have always though of Belk Bowl as a bowl for 6-6 teams.
Granted, I am not sure of all the bowl tie-ins. But VT deserves a better bowl.

The more I think about it, the more I think VT got shafted. VT was the ACC Runner-Up and gets delegated to the Belk Bowl. We should have gotten a Florida Bowl. I have always though of Belk Bowl as a bowl for 6-6 teams.
Some of us told you this was going to happen....you need to listen.

Losing to Syracuse and the Univ of Atlanta is what shafted the Hokies. The Belk Bowl in the Queen City is perfect, good location for fans and a good SEC matchup in a good recruiting area.

Reactions: magtownhog
Losing to Syracuse and the Univ of Atlanta is what shafted the Hokies. The Belk Bowl in the Queen City is perfect, good location for fans and a good SEC matchup in a good recruiting area.
We could have gone to a bowl somewhere in southern Florida and still done well recruiting-wise. We used to pull a lot of kids from Delray Beach area. There was a time when we signed a kid every year from Atlantic High in Delray Beach. We signed several good ones from that school and need to connect with those coaches again.

We could have gone to a bowl somewhere in southern Florida and still done well recruiting-wise. We used to pull a lot of kids from Delray Beach area. There was a time when we signed a kid every year from Atlantic High in Delray Beach. We signed several good ones from that school and need to connect with those coaches again.
Of course Fla recruiting is better, My point is we didnt' deserve a south Fla bowl , and we shafted ourselves . As for travel we will have twice as many fans in Charlotte as any Fla bowl. Of the lower tier bowls I feel the Belk was the best choice all around for VT

Last edited:

We got to the conference championship from the weaker division, and were pretty clearly the fourth best team in the ACC.

I'm happy with what we got. We should travel well, be better represented than Arkansas, be in prime recruiting country, and be in a position to beat a SEC team.

When I think of "good SEC matchups", Arkansas does not come to mind. Florida, Georgia or LSU would have been better. But Charlotte is a good location for VT fans. I am not going because I cannot stand Arkansas fans with their pig call or hog call. I was at NCAA regional baseball tournament in Charlottesville a couple years ago when Arkansas was up there. They only brought about 20 fans. That was too many if you know what mean. I hate to imagine what 8,000 would be like at a football game.

I agree that we are clearly the 4th best team in the conference.

But a great rebuilding year for our new staff and seniors.

I agree that we are clearly the 4th best team in the conference.

But a great rebuilding year for our new staff and seniors.

Absolutely agree. If you had told me at the beginning of the year that we would win the division, I would have been over the moon. To beat UNC, Miami and Pitt in the process was gravy. We need to learn to take care of business against lesser opponents, and not just get "up" for the big boys Next year maybe.

Very true. Syracuse nor GT belongs on the same field with VT. I still cannot believe we lost to those wanna-bees.

Well you can't really say "wanna-bees" when they beat you. If we want to say they don't belong on the same field as us then we need to beat them that way. UVA you can say that. But we haven't won in Carrier Dome so we really need some back-to-back wins there before we can say we own them.

I think all in all that this was a good bowl for both teams. I have to say I have a great amount of respect for the VT program. Recruiting wise, Arkansas and Virginia Tech historically have recruited at about the same level. It should be a good matchup

VT, Miami and BC should have informed ACC about Carrier Dome, and kept Syracuse out of ACC. They do not belong.

Not really. But since BC was already in, they could have joined VT, Miami and told other ACC schools about Carrier Dome. That is not a good place for Visiting Teams to play.

Reactions: Jackcrow
Not really. But since BC was already in, they could have joined VT, Miami and told other ACC schools about Carrier Dome. That is not a good place for Visiting Teams to play.
Just because you can't seem to win there doesn't make it a bad place....

I think all in all that this was a good bowl for both teams. I have to say I have a great amount of respect for the VT program. Recruiting wise, Arkansas and Virginia Tech historically have recruited at about the same level. It should be a good matchup
Thanks Magtownhog. Looking forward to the game as well.

I wonder what a Fuente era VT bowl team will look like?

The Beamer era VT bowl teams stunk like ass.

In bowl games one never knows who's coming to play. Sometimes a team is just happy to be in a bowl and doesn't come to play. Sometimes a team will get caught up in dog and pony shows for the players a couple days before bowl. I recall VT doing this a time Or 2. I remember a player getting hurt once doing something at Sea World or some tourist place. Have fun but also win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT