ADVERTISEMENT

Best team or Most deserving team? The BCS was a better system

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
The committee has stated they want to get the best four teams. They have not mentioned anything about the most deserving teams in the Final Four. There is a huge difference in the best teams and the most deserving teams. I like the old BCS system and they should have kept it and simply taking the top four. we already have human dishonesty involved with this new process. The best foUr teams in my opinion are Alabama Mississippi Mississippi State and Oregon. They say they go by the eyeball test, but you cannot tell me they are not looking at records also. Otherwise, Mississippi and Mississippi State would still be in the discussion. Both of these two schools would beat Ohio State TCU or Baylor in my opinion. But since they have 2 or 3 losses, they are not even in the discussion which contradicts who they feel are really the best Four teams. They are clearly mixing and matching the best teams and the most deserving teams. Florida State is obviously the most deserving team and they are looking at conference champions like TCU or Baylor and Ohio State which are somewhat deserving teams, but I still feel these three are not the best teams.

This post was edited on 12/3 4:16 PM by lucustookis

No way Mississippi or Mississippi St. deserve to be in the final 4......you are mislead by the SEC bias.

I'm thrilled they haven't mentioned the "most deserving" teams, I have no idea what that means. Should it be Army great people, Harvard no scholarships, how about Michigan, as they had to play under a cloud all year. Hold on, how about UAB as this is their last season, that should make them "deserving". In other words, what the hell are you talking about? Picking a final 4 is a negative process not a positive one; it's about eliminating teams not selecting them. Mississippi for sure has eliminated itself as has State.

I agree they should have let the top 4 BCS teams under the old system play. Let the wins and strength of schedule rule.

The committee worries me. Hearing the Chairman on ESPN each week leads me to believe that they know very little about football, and they have integrity issues. Jeff Long continues to insist Baylor's win over TCU means nothing. That in itself proves committee has problems. When 2 plays play basically the same schedule and one beats the other head to head, that team is better.

As for Miss. State, I thought they were one of 4 best, but they laid an egg against Ole Miss, when they had a chance to probably lock up a playoff bid.

The committee has 2 objectives: Get at least one PAC 10 and Big 10 team in playoffs. If GT upsets FSU, I am scared to think what will happen. Same goes for Missouri upsetting Alabama. If this were to happen we're probably looking at 2 Big 10 and 2 PAC 10 teams in playoffs. But hopefully Oregon will lose to Arizona and Ohio will lose to whoever they play in Little 10 title game. Eliminate Oregon and Ohio, and we still may have a good playoff.

Virginia Tech 35 Ohio State 17.

Best and Deserving. You don't understand the difference?

Let me break down since you asked "what the heck am I am talking about" which hints to me...you don't understand the difference in best versus most deserving. The two are close. Lets make two categories....

Best
Strength of Schedule
Eyeball Test

Most Deserving
Has not lost this year and won the title next year; therefore, this team "must be ranked number one."
Conference Champion

What I am talking about is simple....the committee has stated they want to get the BEST 4 teams in America at the end, yet when you read their written comments and what they are looking for according to their own writings, they HEAVILY lean to conference champions and they throw conference champions in as a huge component of BEST. We both know, Marshall won their conference or will win it Saturday as did or will Ohio State or Wisky and maybe even Arizona or possibly even Missouri. Again, when we are talking about conference champions, this is an ACCOLADE. ACCOLADEs fall into the deserving category, not necessarily the BEST 4 TEAM in America category.

They say they want the best four teams, but what do they do....they do not speak of Miss or Miss State having a chance. They are not even in the discussion when most people know or feel that Miss or Miss State would likely beat a TCU or Baylor or Arizona or Wisky or Ohio State or FSU. My point is.....when you bring to much human involvement into the equation, it actually can take away what is the BEST team or eyeball part of the equation and lends itself to the most deserving category.

My opinion only here...the BEST four teams in America are
BAMA, Oregon, Miss, and Miss State

My opinion only here, the most deserving teams in America when you "kind of throw in best, but also look at accolades"
Bama, Oregon, FSU, Baylor or TCU or Ohio State. The committee will also pick it this way and at the end of the day, we are NOT getting the best 4 teams in America. We are heavily getting who a bunch of humans "deserve" to play in the final four" compared to who they truly think would win an on the field battle. For example....Baylor or TCU goes to Ole Miss tomorrow and they get trucked by 2 touchdowns just like Auburn smacked what may be their co-conference champ on the road at Kansas State or like LSU beat Wisky earlier on and both Auburn and LSU are not even remotely in contention for the SEC West title.

Spot ON. When you wrote abou the committee's objective,that sums it up

"The committee has 2 objectives: Get at least one PAC 10 and Big 10 team in playoffs."

Sadly, the above it true and we all know it. They will not admit is, but we know it's true and the fact is....the Big 10 does not have 1 of the four best teams in America. The PAC 10 or 12 or whatever it is called does in my opinion. Also, the Big 12 does not have one of the four best teams either. What the committee does not talk about is.....TCU should have lost to WVU also. The WVU game they played in was one in which they got outplayed worse than Baylor did.

See my point...you just slipped, you just wrote the word "deserved"

Once again, is it the BEST four teams (the teams in which we feel by the eyeball test and SOS, are one of the four BEST teams in America) or is it....."who DESERVES it." If we are picking it based on "who deserves it" then FINE, the committee should SAY THAT and BE HONEST. If we are picking it based on a combination of who they think is the best and with a little bit of who they feel deserves it, then FINE, just SAY THAT. Don't lie or mislead. The fact is....the committee is using a combination of who they feel is the best and who deserves it, yet they are not saying that. As for SEC bias, do not assume or make as "ass of u & me." I absolutely despise the SEC. Can not stand it. Don't like it. Don't want any of their teams to win unless they play a west coast team, but......as a scientist, I am objective and turn the emotion off and look at reality and facts. The reality and facts in spite of the emotion tells me....again....me only, that the SEC West is not just the best conference, but it's the best conference BY FAR and again....if Miss or Miss State played a Baylor or TCU tomorrow, it's a 2 TD win for the SEC team just like when TCU has played some of the SEC teams to start the year in the past. They lose. Just like K State did to Auburn or Wisky did to LSU....they lose.

Re: Best and Deserving. You don't understand the difference?

Originally posted by lucustookis:
Let me break down since you asked "what the heck am I am talking about" which hints to me...you don't understand the difference in best versus most deserving. The two are close. Lets make two categories....

Best
Strength of Schedule
Eyeball Test

Most Deserving
Has not lost this year and won the title next year; therefore, this team "must be ranked number one."
Conference Champion

What I am talking about is simple....the committee has stated they want to get the BEST 4 teams in America at the end, yet when you read their written comments and what they are looking for according to their own writings, they HEAVILY lean to conference champions and they throw conference champions in as a huge component of BEST. We both know, Marshall won their conference or will win it Saturday as did or will Ohio State or Wisky and maybe even Arizona or possibly even Missouri. Again, when we are talking about conference champions, this is an ACCOLADE. ACCOLADEs fall into the deserving category, not necessarily the BEST 4 TEAM in America category.

They say they want the best four teams, but what do they do....they do not speak of Miss or Miss State having a chance. They are not even in the discussion when most people know or feel that Miss or Miss State would likely beat a TCU or Baylor or Arizona or Wisky or Ohio State or FSU. My point is.....when you bring to much human involvement into the equation, it actually can take away what is the BEST team or eyeball part of the equation and lends itself to the most deserving category.

My opinion only here, the most deserving teams in America when you "kind of throw in best, but also look at accolades"
Bama, Oregon, FSU, Baylor or TCU or Ohio State. The committee will also pick it this way and at the end of the day, we are NOT getting the best 4 teams in America. We are heavily getting who a bunch of humans "deserve" to play in the final four" compared to who they truly think would win an on the field battle. For example....Baylor or TCU goes to Ole Miss tomorrow and they get trucked by 2 touchdowns just like Auburn smacked what may be their co-conference champ on the road at Kansas State or like LSU beat Wisky earlier on and both Auburn and LSU are not even remotely in contention for the SEC West title.
looks like you've gone off the deep end with those 4 picks. jeez. ole miss and miss st? lmao. i would feel pretty good about VT going up against those 2 perennial losers. arkansas shut old miss out and beat them by 30 points. miss st? all they had to do was beat a team that got shut out by a 6-6 team and they couldn't do it. lol.

the best 4 are clearly bama, fsu, oregon and ohio st w/ barrett. since barrett is hurt i think you go with TCU as the 4th best. i still think FSU has the best team because we've all seen what having the best QB means to teams in college and the pros. the sec is not very good folks. sorry lucus and hr. ole miss and miss st are around the 12th to 20th best teams with ole miss being around the 20th mark.

Ohio State is not one of best teams in nation, granted they have a 11-1 record, but their SOS is #60. They are not under the most deserving column either. 59 teams played tougher schedule than Ohio.

If I were on that committee I'd not acknowledge the Big 10 even plays football until they toughen their schedules. PAC 10 isn't much better.

Committee has to be careful with this conference champion crap. Just because someone wins a conference title doesn't mean they're good enough for 4 team playoff. There are at least 5 teams in SEC better than most conference champions.

I honestly think Georgia Tech beats FSU in ACC title game. This is gonna screw the whole system up. same for Ohio and Wisky. Though eliminating Ohio will be good.

To save face the committee might resort to getting a computer to pick their 4 teams.

I just hope 4 southern/southeastern teams are in there. No Big 10 or PAC 10. Whether best or deserving, Big 10 or PAC should not be invited, because they are neither.

Back to Ohio, they lost to VT who lost to Wake Forest.

HR your point on Ohio St. means squat........you can play that game with every team but FSU.....look at Alabama, they lost to Ole Miss who lost to a 6-6 Arkansas, 8-4 LSU and 8-4 Auburn.....so why does Alabama deserve to go? Would it be because the had such a tough out of conference schedule with the likes of a 7-5 West Va....or a 7-5 Western Carolina....or a 3-9 Florida International......maybe it was the 3-9 Southern Mississippi. Alabama schedules cupcakes and then claims we play such a tough conference schedule.......nothing but a joke, hell UVA plays a better OOC schedule.

I respect your opinion, but simply.....disagree. I also don't think it is going off the deep end to say Miss and Miss St are not in the top 4 when you compare that to your opinion that they are 12th to 20th best in the country. The closer to the deep end on that one rests with your statement, additionally.....I would love for Vegas to make some odds on matchups and things of that sort and I feel confident Ole Miss and Miss State when regarding Vegas odds, would be near the top 4. They would be favored over most teams with the exception of Oregon and Bama.
This post was edited on 12/4 4:13 PM by lucustookis

Arkansas if played tomorrow in Blacksburg, would whip us by 2 TDs

Arkansas was unfortunate enough to play in the SEC West. They would hammer us by 2 TD's and you already seen the concern when one bowl projection had VT vs Florida in the Duck Commander Independence Bowl. Even our own fans, many of them voiced the concern. I think we would be close with Florida by the way, it would be a close game, but the SEC West is insane this year. Recruiting doesn't lie. Look at Miss and Miss States and Texas A and M's recruiting the past 3 years. It's through the roof and of course, Auburn, Bama, and LSU need not be discussed. They are better not just on the field, but they are better in TALENT and even Coaching than 99 percent of the rest. I think it's COMICAL that they don't have 2 teams in the final four if we are viewing or ranking teams based on Best team. Like I wrote, I bet ya Vegas would agree.

Good post, vt1hokie.

Mississippi St. only defeated 6 power 5 teams all year. 18 teams defeated more.

Ole Miss. only defeated 5 power 5 teams all year. 24 teams defeated more.

FSU, by comparison, defeated 11, which equals the combined total of these overrated Mississippi schools.

Miss. St. and Ole Miss are barely worthy of the top 20, and each should be embarrassed for playing all 4 OOC games against non power 5 teams. The face that they did as well as they did this year shows how down the SEC was.

Originally posted by vt1hokie:

Best
Strength of Schedule
Eyeball Test

Most Deserving
Conference Champion

looks like you've gone off the deep end with those 4 picks. jeez. ole miss and miss st? lmao. i would feel pretty good about VT going up against those 2 perennial losers. arkansas shut old miss out and beat them by 30 points. miss st? all they had to do was beat a team that got shut out by a 6-6 team and they couldn't do it. lol.

the best 4 are clearly bama, fsu, oregon and ohio st w/ barrett. since barrett is hurt i think you go with TCU as the 4th best. i still think FSU has the best team because we've all seen what having the best QB means to teams in college and the pros. the sec is not very good folks. sorry lucus and hr. ole miss and miss st are around the 12th to 20th best teams with ole miss being around the 20th mark.
If Baylor beats KSU and finishes 10-1 with their only loss at WVU, would you still take TCU with their loss to Baylor? We all know that mountaineer field is a tough place for even the #1 team to play. We barely beat a sorry wvu team in 99, last seconds with a lucky Vick run and a perfect Graham fg and we were the 2nd best team in the country.

TCU is definitely the sexier team, but head to head winner seems only right to give the nod imo. What's your opinion?

If both finish 11-1, then Baylor should be ahead of TCU. If that doesn't happen the committee's integrity will be down the drain.

Right now the 4 best teams in nation are:

Alabama
FSU
Baylor
TCU

FSU
Alabama
Oregon
TCU or Baylor.......really don't care.

Originally posted by SunnyBeachWave:

Originally posted by vt1hokie:

Best
Strength of Schedule
Eyeball Test

Most Deserving
Conference Champion

If Baylor beats KSU and finishes 10-1 with their only loss at WVU, would you still take TCU with their loss to Baylor? We all know that mountaineer field is a tough place for even the #1 team to play. We barely beat a sorry wvu team in 99, last seconds with a lucky Vick run and a perfect Graham fg and we were the 2nd best team in the country.

TCU is definitely the sexier team, but head to head winner seems only right to give the nod imo. What's your opinion?
i think it depends on how they beat kansas st. anyone who watched the baylor - tcu game saw 2 teams that were equal and the biggest thing that separated the two was awful officiating at the end. obviously you look at both teams and each one of them giving up 60 is a concern. but in the end it was a non-call against baylor then a call against tcu on the same type of play that ended up deciding the game. so if both team are practically equal i would have to look at baylor's 2 TD loss to wvu. i know some will point to tcu's comeback win against kansas but baylor only won by 2 against an awful texas tech team too.

ultimately if baylor is able to beat kansas st in an impressive fashion then i think they should jump tcu. i don't think they have to blow them out. they just need to control the game. if they are able to control the game they should move ahead of tcu. they will have had a more impressive win against oklahoma who is ranked and a similar win against a ranked kansas st.

O

i think it depends on how they beat kansas st. anyone who watched the baylor - tcu game saw 2 teams that were equal and the biggest thing that separated the two was awful officiating at the end. obviously you look at both teams and each one of them giving up 60 is a concern. but in the end it was a non-call against baylor then a call against tcu on the same type of play that ended up deciding the game. so if both team are practically equal i would have to look at baylor's 2 TD loss to wvu. i know some will point to tcu's comeback win against kansas but baylor only won by 2 against an awful texas tech team too.

ultimately if baylor is able to beat kansas st in an impressive fashion then i think they should jump tcu. i don't think they have to blow them out. they just need to control the game. if they are able to control the game they should move ahead of tcu. they will have had a more impressive win against oklahoma who is ranked and a similar win against a ranked kansas st.
I didn't get to see the game between TCU and BU, but as close as it was you're right, it's basically a coin flip between the two.

Yeah, it was a great, close game. But Baylor beating TCU head to head has got to carry some weight. WVU is the only loss Baylor has, and TCU only beat WVU by 1.

If they put the most "deserving teams" in, it will get very political. As of right now, Alabama is most deserving team, with FSU close behind, depending on what they do today against those dirty yellow jackets.
The thing that scares me is the love they show for TCU over Baylor even though Baylor beat TCU on the field. This in itself proves committee has problems.

The goal of the playoffs isn't really about giving the top four teams a chance to make the playoffs, it's about increasing the odds that the top two teams get a chance.

It doesn't matter whether OSU, Baylor, TCU, Miss., or Miss. State, is the fourth seed. What is important is that Alabama, Oregon, and FSU, are in the mix. In the BCS system, one of those teams would be out.

That's why an 8 team playoff is really unnecessary. The fourth seed isn't really expected to win anymore than the 16th seed is in the NCAA.

The playoffs aren't about making sure the last seed is right, it's about making sure the top seeds are correct.

It should really be about actually having the best team win the NC. Often we have a few teams at the end of each year that are making the claim that they are the best team, and we've had situations in the past whereby more than 4 teams can legitimately make that claim, but some did not get the chance because of the system, in which case we still don't know if the eventual champion is also the best team. That's why I'd like to see the playoffs expanded to 8 teams, which IMO would pretty much capture every team that's got a legitimate claim.

I'm more in favor of conference champions earning their way to a playoff against other conference champions, as opposed to a committee picking one loss teams over other one loss teams. But this year I believe the committee got it right since they ended up picking all conference champions anyway.

It's rare that you can make a legitimate claim that 4 teams are truly the best two teams in the nation. As an OSU fan whose team is in the playoffs, I don't think the team this year is one of the two best, that would go to Bama, Oregon, and FSU on account of the Seminoles being undefeated. You can make an argument between teams 4-8 being fourth, but none would be top two.

The trouble with picking onbly two teams is that subjectivity is needed to play too big a factor. The trouble with a large playoff field such as 8 where there are more than two games needed to play to determine the champion, is that you may end up rewarding as champ the hottest team, as opposed to the best team.

I do agree with the point regarding the Conference Champions however. So I think the best option would be 5 Conference Champions and one at-large bid. The top two ranked teams get a bye, and the four play each other with a home game to the higher seed. The winners play the top two seeds. I would like to see a home field there too, but politics and money would probably dictate that they are played in existing bowls.

5 major conference champs and 3 at large bids.

At larges can come from anywhere. If a non major plays a good schedule and has a good enough resume, than they can have a chance to be included as well.

Seeds 1-4 host 1st round games 2 weeks after the conference title games. So, today, we could have had 4 exciting playoff games instead of, well, nothing. Then, the final four can be played just as they are set up to be played now.

Also, with 3 at large bids, a conference title game loss should not be counted as a loss because it is not fair for a team that does not even make its title game to have an advantage over a team that makes its title game and loses. So, GT, Wisky, Arizona, Mizzou would still be 10-2, and in consideration for an at large bid.

I don't think they will go to 6 teams with 2 byes because that would lead to a lot of controversy over who is #2 and who is #3, and be just as controversial as the old BCS.

But are Wisky, Arizona, and Mizzou really National Championship caliber teams? Again, creating the playoffs really had nothing to do with giving the 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th best teams a chance of winning the National Championship. It's about making sure the two best do.

Wisky, Arizona, and Mizzou, would be best off playing in a bowl game against a similar team. That's Aldo what they deserve.

ok lets take boring March Madness to 4 teams, so the best team not the hottest can win. Anything that takes basketball off TV and puts more football on I'm all for.

I like an 8 team playoff with automatic playoff berths for each P5 conference champion and 3 at large from the pool of the most deserving mid-major champions and independents. No conference should get more than one team in the playoff. IMO if you can't win your own conference it ends there.

Well if the 3 at large teams are from mid majors or indies, lets drop out of the ACC and go indy. We can play a conf schedule in all other sports, I know Commish Swofford allows it......
This post was edited on 12/20 4:37 PM by 1bburgfan

Originally posted by mrjolly01:

I like an 8 team playoff with automatic playoff berths for each P5 conference champion and 3 at large from the pool of the most deserving mid-major champions and independents. No conference should get more than one team in the playoff. IMO if you can't win your own conference it ends there.
Works for me. I agree 100% about having to win your conference, but you know the major conferences, especially the "mighty SEC", would never agree to a system that allows 3 little guys in a playoff.

Originally posted by pckank1:

Originally posted by mrjolly01:

Works for me. I agree 100% about having to win your conference, but you know the major conferences, especially the "mighty SEC", would never agree to a system that allows 3 little guys in a playoff.
I agree, their greed won't allow that.

I thought new system would be better than BCS but now i am not sure. i thought committe would put the 4 best teams in playoffs. but they did not.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:
I thought new system would be better than BCS but now i am not sure. i thought committe would put the 4 best teams in playoffs. but they did not.
How do you know this? Is there really a definitive way to know who the 4 best are? Couldn't an OSU team who won @ MSU and drilled Wisky have gone at least 11-1 like Baylor and TCU did with the same schedules they had?

We keep hearing about the VT loss, but Baylor lost to 7-5 WVU, and TCU did not even win its conference.

OSU won 12 games, and Baylor 11.
OSU beat 7 teams with a winning record, and Baylor only beat 3.
OSU beat 9 major conference teams, and 9-3 Cincy OOC, while Baylor beat 8 major conference teams and no one OOC.
OSU scheduled Navy, VT, and Cincy OOC, while Baylor, as always, scheduled garbage OOC.

* TCU had 11 wins (less than OSU), only beat 4 teams with a winning record (way less than OSU), beat 9 major conference teams (same as OSU), and did not win its conference (OSU did).

I think the committee got the 4 teams right. I disagree with the order (I would have gone FSU, Oregon, Bama, OSU), but I am a "most deserving" guy who looks at conference titles, wins and losses, and overall schedules. I do not get fooled into the love affair for certain teams and conferences, and could not care less about meaningless stats like game control and power index.

This post was edited on 12/21 11:35 AM by pckank1

Originally posted by Hoos19NC:
HR your point on Ohio St. means squat........you can play that game with every team but FSU.....look at Alabama, they lost to Ole Miss who lost to a 6-6 Arkansas, 8-4 LSU and 8-4 Auburn.....so why does Alabama deserve to go? Would it be because the had such a tough out of conference schedule with the likes of a 7-5 West Va....or a 7-5 Western Carolina....or a 3-9 Florida International......maybe it was the 3-9 Southern Mississippi. Alabama schedules cupcakes and then claims we play such a tough conference schedule.......nothing but a joke, hell UVA plays a better OOC schedule.
Every year Bama gets the benefit of the doubt. Every stinking year. They lost to Ole Miss, struggled all game with Ark. and LSU, and gave up 600+ yards to Auburn, but we get to hear how they are a lock for #1 because the committee invents stats like "game control" and uses power index so they can get Bama in the Sugar Bowl like they want. Geez, they were #5 and went to #1 after beating Miss. St. by 5. Really? The same Miss. St. team who only beat 6 major conference teams? One would think Miss. St. was an NFL team the way they gave Bama credit for that. Sickening.

Nothing worse than a few years ago when Bama did not even win its 6 team division, but got a bye into the BCS title game. Yea, that makes sense....give a Bama team who had gone just 1-1 against teams that were ranked the week after the SEC title game (both at home) a bye and let them relax and scout LSU while an undefeated LSU who beat Bama has to play Ga. in the SEC title game. Sickening.

This post was edited on 12/21 11:55 AM by pckank1

Alabama is the best team in the nation. Anyone who thinks otherwise, doesn't know college football.

I for one hope OSU beats Bama.....it would be the double whammy for HR.

How can anyone pull for Ohio State over Alabama ? Alabama earned their way into playoff. Ohio had to rely on a gift from selection committee.

Let's see HR......both teams won their conference ......both teams lost one game.....so how did one earn it and the other not? The only team I see that earned was FSU because they didn't lose.

Losing a game should not be end of the world, but unfortunately that's the way it is in college football for most teams. But the Big 10 is the weakest of the so called big 5 conferences. Even if a big 10 team goes undefeated, they should not get a spot in playoff. Heck, ANY 2 loss SEC team is better than the big 10 champion any day of the week.

I guess time will tell....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT