ADVERTISEMENT

Best team or Most deserving team? The BCS was a better system

Re: Best and Deserving. You don't understand the difference?

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:

Alabama is the best team in the nation. Anyone who thinks otherwise, doesn't know college football.
Sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree. I'm going with Oregon as the best team, and a 2nd half FSU team as a close runner up. I'm not sure anyone can beat FSU if they could get some cohesion among all those elite defensive players at the opening whistle.

Losing a game should not be end of the world, but unfortunately that's the way it is in college football for most teams. But the Big 10 is the weakest of the so called big 5 conferences. Even if a big 10 team goes undefeated, they should not get a spot in playoff. Heck, ANY 2 loss SEC team is better than the big 10 champion any day of the week.
Really? How about a 7 loss Big Ten team being better than a 1 loss SEC team?

1-7 Big Ten Indiana 31, 7-1 SEC Missouri 27.

As for 2 loss SEC teams, we have no way of knowing who 6-2 SEC Miss. St. is better than because they played Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama, and UT Martin OOC, while we did find out that a 6-2 SEC Ga. wasn't quite good enough to beat GT.

Originally posted by pckank1:

Losing a game should not be end of the world, but unfortunately that's the way it is in college football for most teams. But the Big 10 is the weakest of the so called big 5 conferences. Even if a big 10 team goes undefeated, they should not get a spot in playoff. Heck, ANY 2 loss SEC team is better than the big 10 champion any day of the week.
Really? How about a 7 loss Big Ten team being better than a 1 loss SEC team?

1-7 Big Ten Indiana 31, 7-1 SEC Missouri 27.

As for 2 loss SEC teams, we have no way of knowing who 6-2 SEC Miss. St. is better than because they played Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama, and UT Martin OOC, while we did find out that a 6-2 SEC Ga. wasn't quite good enough to beat GT.
Come on now, you can't really use transitive law in sports because it's an "any given sunday" type of culture. I think our win over tosu clarifies that, although I love to give the buckeye fans hell as if we are the better team. I mean, technically, we are the big16 champions.

If one wants to compare Indiana and Missouri game, I will compare Virginia Tech and Ohio State. If Ohio State were to luck out and win NC, (with help from refs, I might add), then I think the AP Poll should have VT as National Champion. I do recall VT beating the over ranked, over hyped and over rated Buckeyes.

If one wants to compare Indiana and Missouri game, I will compare Virginia Tech and Ohio State. If Ohio State were to luck out and win NC, (with help from refs, I might add), then I think the AP Poll should have VT as National Champion. I do recall VT beating the over ranked, over hyped and over rated Buckeyes.
If OSU is overrated because VT beat them, than the SEC is overrated because a 7-1 SEC team lost to 1-7 Big Ten Indiana. I am glad to see you are finally admitting the SEC is overrated. SEC homers, in their attempt to pump up the SEC, always end up proving my point, which is the conferences are close and the SEC has not separated themselves. Sorry, SEC, but you cannot go 5-6 OOC against your major conference peers and then try to say you are way better than them.

I don't follow your VT as AP champs if OSU wins their next two at all. Why stop there? Why not make Wake champs? Or, let's go back a few years and take away some of Bama's (undeserved) titles and make A&M and LSU champs when they beat Bama.

College football is the only sport where the national champion isn't always decided on the field of play.

I will admit some SEC schools played a cupcake or 2 along the way for OOC games. But the Big 10 played cupcakes in and out of conference. Ohio state should not even have been mentioned in the committee hotel room as one of the 4 teams.Let Ohio play every team in SEC west and see how their record would be. They would be hoping for a .com bowl somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT