ADVERTISEMENT

biggest upset ever in NCAA history

hokieinc-ville

New Recruit
Jul 17, 2009
So I feel pretty much the same way as HR about UVa athletic teams, especially football. But you have to respect Tony Bennett as a class act. as a coach and as a person. I live here in CVille and we've had to endure what happened last summer with the invasion of the white supremacists. The entire town has rallied around the basketball team's success this year to help recover from the shock of last August,
This loss tonight really hurts everyone in town, not just those wine sippin Wahoos who are devastated by tonight's loss to the the best 16 seed team I've ever seen..

Nothing but respect for Bennett, but holy crap, what an absolute embarrassment for their program. A 16 over a 1 was, basically, inevitable at some point, but I'm just shocked beyond belief.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
UVA looked tired - they played 'slow' compared to the energy level of UMBC. Worse, they had the 'deer in the headlights look' in the 2nd half, as if they were in shock. Apparently they were not mentally prepared to play and under estimated UMBC. That said, Bennett is a classy individual and he's built a BB program without having 'blue blood' elite players - similar to our FB program (blue collar, lunch pail mentality & great D).

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Just flat out got out played on both ends of the court.....their speed seemed to surprise us. And they absolutely made everything. Congrats to them.....I hate it for Bennett, not a classier coach out there, he deserves better.

The 3 point shot is the great equalizer in college BB. A small, quick team that has a hot night shooting can beat anyone. UMBC will fall just like Buffalo did today. No way they can be that hot again.

Nothing but respect for Bennett, but holy crap, what an absolute embarrassment for their program. A 16 over a 1 was, basically, inevitable at some point, but I'm just shocked beyond belief.
I think my shock level went up from how they did it, taking the lead and then just putting the their foot on UVa’s throat. Can’t help but think of how many times I’ve wished my Hokies would win games THAT way.

I said all season, they were not as good as their record. The schedule was set up good for them, and they had a lot of luck in a few games. The Media Gurus are saying now what I have said all season, "the way to beat Hoos is play them at their own slow paced game".

It's like a reporter said a few days before tournament, "if Virginia has to score 75 points to win a game in tournament, they can't do it". What a prophet he was. Hoos gave up 74.

I said all season, they were not as good as their record. The schedule was set up good for them, and they had a lot of luck in a few games. The Media Gurus are saying now what I have said all season, "the way to beat Hoos is play them at their own slow paced game".

It's like a reporter said a few days before tournament, "if Virginia has to score 75 points to win a game in tournament, they can't do it". What a prophet he was. Hoos gave up 74.
Yep pure luck winning the ACC by 4 games.......are you really that ignorant? Get back to me when Buzz actually wins a tournament game at VT.....

At least Hoos got back to Cville in time to recover from basketball and get ready to not attend Spring practice.

So I feel pretty much the same way as HR about UVa athletic teams, especially football. But you have to respect Tony Bennett as a class act. as a coach and as a person. I live here in CVille and we've had to endure what happened last summer with the invasion of the white supremacists. The entire town has rallied around the basketball team's success this year to help recover from the shock of last August,
This loss tonight really hurts everyone in town, not just those wine sippin Wahoos who are devastated by tonight's loss to the the best 16 seed team I've ever seen..

It was the second biggest upset in NCAA Hoops history. The first biggest upset also goes to UVA back in the early 80's when they lost to an NAIA school, and was ranked number one in the nation at the time.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
I was thinking same thing. I believe school was Chaminade.or something like that. Hoos should stick to tennis and soccer, and leave basketball ............and football alone.

I was thinking same thing. I believe school was Chaminade.or something like that. Hoos should stick to tennis and soccer, and leave basketball ............and football alone.
Just remember HR you have exactly 0 NC’s in any sport......wow.

I'm holding out hope for our track team. Took 4th at Indoors this year . Were only a few point away from first. Would have happened had we had a good thrower or jumper. The new lineman comming in should help there. Going to do both sports.

If it's not football or basketball nobody is really going to notice unless you dominate that sport.

Meh...How much revenue did any of those championships generate for the university?? Talk to me win you win one in Basketball or Football.

Does anyone watch tennis anymore!
A NC in any sport should be celebrated and I can promise you this board lites up if VT ever wins one in anything......big if. UVA has 25 NC’s, 2nd best in ACC. 18 NC’s in men sports, 1st in the ACC.....you can scoff all you want but bottom line is Hoos 25.....VT 0.

Had UVA not lost to a 16 seed and won the damn tournament like most projected you would, you wouldn't be trying to prop up tennis titles. Those types of titles mean something to alumni and people who play or did play the sport but few others. I fish bass tournaments. I thought it was great when VT won the National title in bass fishing. I sometimes fish against the EKU guys that won a few years back. But I'm also not dumb enough to expect most fans to think as much about the championship as they would a title in football or basketball.

Had UVA not lost to a 16 seed and won the damn tournament like most projected you would, you wouldn't be trying to prop up tennis titles. Those types of titles mean something to alumni and people who play or did play the sport but few others. I fish bass tournaments. I thought it was great when VT won the National title in bass fishing. I sometimes fish against the EKU guys that won a few years back. But I'm also not dumb enough to expect most fans to think as much about the championship as they would a title in football or basketball.
Wow, nice crack on my B.B. team......Big talk from a school that has never won one in anything.....deflect...deflect...deflect. The big difference is bass fishing is not recognized as a real NCAA Championship, all of UVA ‘s 25 are......we also have 8 more that are/were-not recognized by NCAA at the time.

Wow, nice crack on my B.B. team......Big talk from a school that has never won one in anything.....deflect...deflect...deflect. The big difference is bass fishing is not recognized as a real NCAA Championship, all of UVA ‘s 25 are......we also have 8 more that are/were-not recognized by NCAA at the time.

Hoo-
Congrats on your 25 skee-ball championships or whatever. The one statistic that matters is 14-0.

Congrats, but when you have to Google search a school to see if they have a National title that title probably doesn't mean a lot. You have one respectable title. Your baseball title.

And HR you most of the time come off as a real douche, what are you around 16 years old or something

Techhoo we all come across like douches at times, and you just did with your last statement. HR may go over the top from time to time but again we all do. I personally enjoy the banter between HR. Hoo( whatever number) and Bburg. They’re all back in forth in fun and I’d bet it would be great fun to belly up to a beer with these guys. We don’t need personal attaches on here!

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT