ADVERTISEMENT

Bud the Bridesmaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

sknyluv

Freshman
Mar 7, 2005
I think the most interesting aspect of the Fuente hire is the retention of Bud Foster as defensive coordinator.

Was "keeping Bud Foster" a deal breaker included by Babcock for any potential hire? Or ... did Fuente have to agree to keep Foster before accepting the head coach position?

I think the answer to that question is very important because it signals the amount of power Fuente has coming into a new program. Bud is great. No question. But don't you think Fuente wanted his own assistants when coming into a new job?

Also. I kinda feel bad for Bud. Dude needs to move on ...

Coach Fuente knows that Bud is best DC in the nation. Keeping him at VT is a no-brainer.

I agree. With Bud still around and also Beamer will be around in some capacity too ... it just doesn't seem like a fresh start with Fuente. We should just call him Beamer 2.0 ... or hell, why didn't they just hire Shane?

No, he is the new Head Coach. He also is bringing Special Teams and Wide Receivers Coaches with him from Memphis.

yes Bud is an excellent DC, no question. Bottom line is that Bud has intereviewed for a number of HC jobs, never offered. He makes a big salary as DC (rightfully so) and gets to live in heaven. My guess is that he has resolved himself to the attractiveness of staying at VT and being the best DC he can. This is honorable and decent. Also, we are lucky if it works out this way. Hopefully Shane and Stiney hit the road. Way too much baggage for this to ever work out.

this is some truly numb nutted @#$%

Granted, I was intentionally being over the top on that one. But the point still holds, you've got Bud still on the sideline and Frank still in the athletic department. Beamer created a excellent football culture in Blacksburg, but it's also the same culture that went .500 over the past three years. I was hoping for more change with Fuente. Time will tell I guess.

Frank may have an office, but I not think he be there much.

With Bud on sideline calling defense, VT will have nation's best DC.

Frank is out. He will not interfere.
Bud is going to continue what he's always done.
That is cause for confidence -- and frankly, for some concern.
  • "Coordinating" -- A+
  • Recruiting -- not so high
For whatever reason, however, I believe in Whit.
He believes in CJF.
For now, that's enough for me (not that I have a choice).

I admit I'd feel better if I saw some incoming recruiting firepower.
By that I mean, if the gurus on the boards were pointing out that aspect of the new hires.
Because, as I said, Bud will continue to do what he's always done.

Reactions: HeaksManley
Good article by David Teel to address keeping the Best D Coordinator in the country at VT:

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/virginia-tech/dp-spt-bud-foster-staying-20151130-story.html

According to
I feel like we can win at the highest level here," Foster said. "That's why I stayed here (over the years). A big part was Frank Beamer, but a big part was I felt like we could win at the highest level here, and we did for a number of years. I feel like we can get back to that, and I can be a big part of that."

But first Foster, 56, had to set aside ego and disappointment. He wanted to replace Beamer. At the very least, he wanted an opportunity to present Babcock his vision for the program.

Believing that the Hokies most need an infusion of offense, and swayed by surveys that say the most successful head coaches are, in general, former offensive coordinators, Babcock declined. He told Foster that he didn't want to grant him a "token interview."

This Babcock did gently, making Foster feel "that I was extremely important, and that made me feel good. I love it here. … I was disappointed that I didn't really get an opportunity, and I expressed that to him, that I didn't get a chance really state my case, so to speak. …

"My window as a head coach, as we've talked over the years, has gotten smaller and smaller and smaller, and it's probably as small as it can be right now. But at the same time, I still think I can bring a lot of value to the program, or any program. And I love this program. I love the Hokie Nation. They've taken me in and made me feel part of a bigger family."

It's uncertain whether Foster will be the lone member of Beamer's staff to remain. Fuente appears intent on bringing his offensive coaches from Memphis, but Foster has asked him to consider retaining defensive line coach Charley Wiles and secondary coach Torrian Gray.

"Ultimately, it's his decision," Foster said of Fuente, "and I'm on board with whatever he goes with. So I'm a team player all the way around. We're going to have the same vision together and we're going to work together."

Babcock said keeping Foster was not a requirement.

"I didn't think that was the right thing to do," Babcock added, "and having a father as a coach, coaches have to sink or swim, or win or lose, with their own guys. So when we talked to Justin about, hey, whoever you want to bring in, it's all in. We did talk about would he talk to Bud, and this wasn't his response, but it was something along the lines of, 'Are you kidding me? Heck yeah, I want to talk to Bud.'

"But I made it very clear if we feel strongly enough about you being the head coach, you can pick your guys. But then I did say, 'If it's not Bud you better have a darn good one you bring in here.'"

Babcock praised Beamer's entire staff for their professionalism since Beamer's Nov. 1 retirement announcement. Most knew they'd be working elsewhere next season, but they helped the Hokies win two of their three subsequent games to earn bowl eligibility.

Fuente said one of the appeals of working at Virginia Tech was the possibility of teaming with Foster, and when the two met, they explored not schemes and strategy, but more overarching themes such as family and backgrounds.

Retaining Foster also provides Fuente with at least one link to the Beamer Era.

"But also, that's not the only reason you keep Bud Foster," Fuente said. "I do think that's a part of it and that is true. But he's also an unbelievable defensive coordinator and has had guys play their tails off, and he loves this university as well."

Teel can also be reached by phone at 757-247-4636.

Copyright © 2015, Daily Press

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
This article is very encouraging from a chemistry perspective. I hope it isn't just "new hire" speak, and that those two really do see how much damage they can do together.

TCU's offense (Fuente was the OC at TCU from 09-11) combined with a Bud Foster defense has the potential to be seriously nasty.

I have been saying for years, if VT had an offensive guru and Bud as DC, look out. If VT starts hanging 40, 50 and 60 points on the scoreboard, no more losses to your average run-of-the-mill teams, especially those in the ACC.

VT is not like any other school. Beamer got a chance to improve 2 times in his tenure and he did it on his first chance. Other schools don't do that.

And introducing Fuente and Foster to see if they can mesh is brilliant.

The fact that Fuente wanted Foster is great. Why wouldn't he? Any coach starting to put together a staff would want Foster? And Foster can keep the recruits we have already, which are awesome. And why wouldn't Foster want to stay in beautiful SW VA where his family has been for 29 years? Especially after he met Fuente and found out they get along.

I think Fuente and Foster can make our team a top 25 team with what we have returning next year, and who knows after that.

VT is not like any other school. Beamer got a chance to improve 2 times in his tenure and he did it on his first chance. Other schools don't do that.

And introducing Fuente and Foster to see if they can mesh is brilliant.

The fact that Fuente wanted Foster is great. Why wouldn't he? Any coach starting to put together a staff would want Foster? And Foster can keep the recruits we have already, which are awesome. And why wouldn't Foster want to stay in beautiful SW VA where his family has been for 29 years? Especially after he met Fuente and found out they get along.

I think Fuente and Foster can make our team a top 25 team with what we have returning next year, and who knows after that.
If it improves recruiting, then it's brilliant. Otherwise, not.
Only time will tell that.

Poor Bud...he stayed around and waited for his opportunity...it's not going to happen...maybe he should have taken a head coaching job 10 years ago, build a powerhouse, and then come back....he lost out to a 39 year old...sometimes as the old saying goes, "you can wait a lifetime".

Like I said before, this truly is a dream team scenario. For years, this exact scenario has been spoken of across hokienation as if it's a mythological creature. Just the thought of matching up a top 10 offensive scoring coach with a top 10 DC on the same team is surreal.

These guys are alumni from the same school which I'm sure gives them somewhat of a brotherly connection inside, and Bud is being extremely humble which blows my mind. I'll eat crow on that one because I thought for sure he'd get pissed and bolt if skipped over.

Man, it's a good time to be a Hokie.

Reactions: B1dee
If it improves recruiting, then it's brilliant. Otherwise, not.
Only time will tell that.
Fuente has been kicking ass with 2 stars across the board nearly so I fully expect him to have a hi-octane offense up and running by his 2nd year. That in itself at VT will probably lure some elite talent and some consistent winning will up recruiting even more. Hopefully, he will have developed a strong recruiting plan and gotten familiar with the fertile areas within 2-3 years.

Build it and they will come. :D

Reactions: Salemite
I've heard a lot of ifs and buts about hiring Fuentes, but I think it's a brilliant move by Whit made even better with the retaining of Bud as the DC. One thing important to coaches is longevity and this helps both Bud and Coach Fuentes. Can you imagine getting one of the best DCs in the country in the deal along with his complete knowledge of the league and its opponents? As a fan that has long suffered under the "win with the D" theory from the Hokies and all the tight games against lesser teams, this is a breath of fresh air. I'll bet Bud got a great nights sleep after the announcement. Wait till Fuentes gets with Lawson, been interesting to see what he would've done with Logan Thomas.

The only immediate worry I have now is trying to retain Whit. Welcome, Coach Fuentes to the Hokie Nation. ......... And, we love you Frank, thanks for the memories, see you around the campus, we can't thank you enough. You're the top Hokie of all.

Fuente has been kicking ass with 2 stars across the board nearly so I fully expect him to have a hi-octane offense up and running by his 2nd year. That in itself at VT will probably lure some elite talent and some consistent winning will up recruiting even more. Hopefully, he will have developed a strong recruiting plan and gotten familiar with the fertile areas within 2-3 years.

Build it and they will come. :D
Here's to you being correct, my friend.
5kKBh9wbDMqLC.gif

I've heard a lot of ifs and buts about hiring Fuentes, but I think it's a brilliant move by Whit made even better with the retaining of Bud as the DC. One thing important to coaches is longevity and this helps both Bud and Coach Fuentes. Can you imagine getting one of the best DCs in the country in the deal along with his complete knowledge of the league and its opponents? As a fan that has long suffered under the "win with the D" theory from the Hokies and all the tight games against lesser teams, this is a breath of fresh air. I'll bet Bud got a great nights sleep after the announcement. Wait till Fuentes gets with Lawson, been interesting to see what he would've done with Logan Thomas.

The only immediate worry I have now is trying to retain Whit. Welcome, Coach Fuentes to the Hokie Nation. ......... And, we love you Frank, thanks for the memories, see you around the campus, we can't thank you enough. You're the top Hokie of all.

You allude to something that has bugged me for a decade or more.

We have (supposedly) had two morons as OCs in Stiney and Loeffler. Incompetent idiots.
They can't build a competent offense despite having the necessary players.
They are, so the narrative runs, big reasons 1 & 1A for our lousy offenses.

At the same time we have a genius DC with superior knowledge of offenses.
More specifically, he knows and how to thwart them. Better than maybe anyone.
He is the reason for our usually superior defenses.

Are you tracking with me here?

I wonder, do our coaches not talk with each other? Surely they do.
Do they not all understand our strengths and weaknesses? Hard to believe they do not.
Does Bud hoard his superior knowledge to the detriment of the team? Hard to believe he would.
Does he share his knowledge to no avail b/c the morons won't listen? Hard to believe that's so.

I understand Bud not being able to teach a feel for the game.
But as to schemes, how to attack them, etc., surely he is the best resource out there.

What gives?

You allude to something that has bugged me for a decade or more.

We have (supposedly) had two morons as OCs in Stiney and Loeffler. Incompetent idiots.
They can't build a competent offense despite having the necessary players.
They are, so the narrative runs, big reasons 1 & 1A for our lousy offenses.

At the same time we have a genius DC with superior knowledge of offenses.
More specifically, he knows and how to thwart them. Better than maybe anyone.
He is the reason for our usually superior defenses.

Are you tracking with me here?

I wonder, do our coaches not talk with each other? Surely they do.
Do they not all understand our strengths and weaknesses? Hard to believe they do not.
Does Bud hoard his superior knowledge to the detriment of the team? Hard to believe he would.
Does he share his knowledge to no avail b/c the morons won't listen? Hard to believe that's so.

I understand Bud not being able to teach a feel for the game.
But as to schemes, how to attack them, etc., surely he is the best resource out there.

What gives?

I'm absolutely with you here and I've often wondered the same things. I didn't coach football but some of my friends who are Hokie graduates and fans did and it's been a constant discussion with us for a long time. The best I can tell is that there isn't a regular review session with Bud suggesting anything about how an offense(more specifically our O) can be stopped or probably any discussion of our O from his perspective at all. Coaches egos are pretty big and I'm sure he doesn't want to step on any toes and he respects Frank above all others. the Fuente hire will possibly 'open up" some of the give and take between Justin and Bud if their press conference holds true to what they said. That can only be beneficial. Another factor is that we forget that Jim Weaver probably had some part in who they hired as OC, after all he was theoretically Frank and Bud's boss. In other words, I'll bet Bud could tell you who was a good OC as much as anyone by watching tape.

In that vein, it was always interesting listening to Weaver do his pregame analysis back in the day,I bet he was one of the few ADs who did that type of commentary. Think he coached at Penn State in some capacity.

I cannot even imagine what Bud could do if he consistently gets a 14 point lead in a majority of his games. I'm hoping we'll eventually find out.

As Salemite said, my only problem with the Bud Foster retention is his lack of recruiting prowess. Additionally, Fuente is not known for his recruiting prowess, which is slightly concerning, but at the same time it's difficult to prove your mettle recruiting when you haven't recruited at a power 5 school. IIRC, TCU was still in the MWC when Fuente was there -- hardly a conference known for its clout on the recruiting trail and Memphis in the AAC is an extremely hard sell. Still, Bud is a pretty awful recruiter and largely responsible for our weaknesses at LB and DL that have cost us dearly in the past 5-10 years.

Bud speaks in plain English with simple and direct words and gets straight to the point. Anyone here ever hear Stiney talk?

As far as the Bud recruiting knock goes, I asked this before but no one ever answered...what territories was Bud in charge of recruiting, and how much BCS talent is known to come from those areas?

I have been to coaches clinics where Bud was speaking. He speaks football, which is what a DC should speak.

I have a lot of faith in Whit as a man of honor. I believe that Coach Fuente could have brought in a diferent DC if he wanted to. I also believe that Whit will make positivly certain that Fuentes is giving the full reins to run our FB program. Coach Beamer is also a person of great integrity and I will never believe that he would in any way shape or form do or say anything to coach Fuente's detriment. Even if he did Whit would never allow it. These people are not children.

Bud speaks in plain English with simple and direct words and gets straight to the point. Anyone here ever hear Stiney talk?
So buy Bud a Thesaurus for Christmas, and post again when you have a point to make.

Frank Beamer doesnt know offense other than it shouldnt commit a turnover and should help the defense win. Halftime at the UVA game he said the offense was doing well. For the love of God they had 60 total yards of offense in the first half! Coincidence that Stiney and Loeffler(two yes men) were the OCs? No OC worth his salt is going to come into a program being told their objective is to help the defense win and dont turn the ball over. Its hard to tell how good Foster can be when he dont have the weight of the whole game on his back. I appreciate everything Frank Beamer did and no doubt his system has worked for years but the face of college football has changed. Rules have changed favoring the offense and there are just too many explosive offenses out there to consistantly win by kicking FGs and hoping the defense can generate a turnover. God bless him, but I think we will be better off.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
So buy Bud a Thesaurus for Christmas, and post again when you have a point to make.

Point is Bud is the Defensive Coordinator, would imagine that takes enough time that he doesn't have time to hold the Offense's hand and coach them up. That is not Bud's responsibility, that's why VT has an Offensive Coordinator who is probably cramped by Frank's run the clock out mentality!

Biggest thing for Tech is to control the Tidewater area...UNC has only 3 recruits in the NC Top 20 High School Football according to Rivals....Clemson will absolutely bitch slap UNC in recruiting in NC, so they will look to Virginia for players...they seem to do well in the Tidewater.....In Beamers best years, he controlled the Tidewater...

Go,Gamecocks, Go Hokies!!!!!

VT needs to get back to recruiting Tidewater area well. Too many recruits are leaving the state or going to UVA. It's like I heard someone say yesterday, "good football players in Virginia should go to Virginia Tech."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT