ADVERTISEMENT

Camping World Independence Bowl...

You got a game you can win....Tulsa has a good offense 16 overall, but their Defense is horrible 126 ranking. Memphis beat them so he can give you some pointers.

My wife, who is a Tech alum, and I had big plans for this bowl season. We were going to fly into Charlotte catch the Belk bowl then drive down to Atlanta to catch the Peach and then down to Jax to pick up the Tax Slayer Bowl. The plan fell apart cause Belk didn't take Tech.

I miss the Poulan Weed Eater Independence Bowl. It was my all-time favorite sponsor named bowl game.

So...biased against Newell Rubbermaid, MainStay Investments, PetroSun, Advocare and Duck Commander, huh?

I was making plans for Charlotte, but now I will just drive on down to Louisana.

One positive thing is I can visit Tuscaloosa enroute.

I'm hearing VT turned down the Military Bowl and a chance to play Navy for the Camping Bowl? If true, why would VT do this? I would think VT fans would have preferred The Military Bowl and a better opponent plus closer for fans.

My wife, who is a Tech alum, and I had big plans for this bowl season. We were going to fly into Charlotte catch the Belk bowl then drive down to Atlanta to catch the Peach and then down to Jax to pick up the Tax Slayer Bowl. The plan fell apart cause Belk didn't take Tech.

Weird rule is why my Wolfpack is going to Charlotte and not Tech. Charlotte had 8-4 Pitt, 7-5 Duke/State/Louisville, and 6-6 Tech. Pinstripe wanted Duke, and Music City wanted Louisville. ACC said done. That left Pitt/State/Tech. Belk Bowl preferred Tech but ACC rule stated that they could not take a 6-6 team over an 8-4 team. That left Tech out. Belk felt State would bring more fans (revenue) than Pitt, and rule allows a 7-5 team to be chosen over an 8-4 team.

Last edited:
...terrible bowl due to the date and distance. I would have gone to any bowl for the Hokies except this one and the Sun Bowl. I'm hard pressed to believe even 1/4 of the Hokies that went to last year's Military bowl would go.

With respect to the fans that would have gone if it were a different day or closer, what a disappointing bowl to have as Beamer's last one.

...terrible bowl due to the date and distance. I would have gone to any bowl for the Hokies except this one and the Sun Bowl. I'm hard pressed to believe even 1/4 of the Hokies that went to last year's Military bowl would go.

With respect to the fans that would have gone if it were a different day or closer, what a disappointing bowl to have as Beamer's last one.
I think a lot of thought was given to the streak. Miss St and Navy would be tougher opponents.

I think a lot of thought was given to the streak. Miss St and Navy would be tougher opponents.

What streak? How does winning or losing a bowl have anything to do with a streak? Miss St would be a hard bowl and a lot more interesting. Navy isn't unlike GT, and with enough time to prepare, we should be fine. In my opinion, it's not about the opponent, it's about Beamer and the team.

Consecutive winning seasons? That's never really been in the conversation, in my opinion, because Beamer would have to have something like 5 more winning seasons to even break into the top 25 for most consecutive winning seasons.

I had rather go to Independence Bowl than back to the military bowl. No team should go to same bowl 2 years in a row unless it's the Sugar Bowl or a playoff bowl.
I just called VT ticket office and ordered a ticket. They have no idea where seats are. Hopefully my ticket is a good one.

I had rather go to Independence Bowl than back to the military bowl. No team should go to same bowl 2 years in a row unless it's the Sugar Bowl or a playoff bowl.
I just called VT ticket office and ordered a ticket. They have no idea where seats are. Hopefully my ticket is a good one.
Why buy a ticket....you will be leaving as soon as Tulsa gets a first down or VT punts, waste of money.

Tulsa doesn't have a good win on their schedule.....this wil not be close, VT big.

Larry The Cable Guy says Tulsa spelt backwards is A Slut. Go figure why Tech should even show up.

Points allowed by Tulsa each game:

44, 21, 52, 38, 24, 30, 66, 31, 30, 49, 44, 34

VT's total offense is 96th in the nation in a P5 conference, playing four top 30 defenses. Looking at Tulsa's opponents:

School------------------Total Offense---------Points Scored

FAU.............................82d (G5)......................44
New Mexico................80th (G5)......................21
Oklahoma.....................7th..............................52 (31 at halftime)_
Houston......................19th (AAC)...................38
La-Monroe................123d (G5).......................24
ECU............................56th (AAC)...................30
Memphis.....................13th (AAC)...................66
SMU............................74th (AAC)..................31
UCF..........................127th (AAC)...................30 - worst offense in the nation
Cincinnati.....................5th (AAC)....................49
Navy...........................51st (AAC)....................44
Tulane......................120th (AAC)....................34

Average..................... 63d...............................39

Given their quality of competition, they basically averaged nearly 40 points allowed to teams as good offensively as Virginia.

Virginia Tech averages nearly 30 points per game while playing a P5 conference schedule. Unless they come out completely flat and uninspired (doubtful, considering it is Frank's last game, and a chance to keep their winning streak alive), the Hokies should have NO problem handling a mediocre Tulsa team. I think this is precisely what The Powers That Be wanted to do: Send Frank off with a win in his final game and keep his personal winning seasonal streak intact at 23 years.

It is the most lopsided matchup of the bowl schedule, and purposely so. Should VT have drawn a better opponent? Perhaps, but the odds would have been far closer with a chance to lose both things no one wants.

We're talking history here...

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Oh boy...if the deck is so stacked in our favor, we better not lose this one. Visions of Temple and JMU keep dancing in my head. Thanks, Frank.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
I agree with cavgator's synopsis regarding the why for our bowl game. Imo we would have lost to a better opponent at the Belk Bowl. Remains to be seen if we can hold Tulsa's offense in enough check to win.
HR on the move. Don't forget to disinfect your self including your car if you stop in Tuscaloosa. I only root for UA when they play UNC.

Any truth to VT turning down the military bowl? VT would have shown up in groves for this one...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT