ADVERTISEMENT

Camping World Independence Bowl...

I heard VT turned Military Bowl down. Smart move. We were there just last season, never good to go back 2 years in a row unless it's Sugar Bowl or something like that.
My ticket and 2 nights stay in cost me a total of 170 dollars. I have spent more than that going to Blacksburg for a regular season game before.

I heard VT turned Military Bowl down. Smart move. We were there just last season, never good to go back 2 years in a row unless it's Sugar Bowl or something like that.
My ticket and 2 nights stay in cost me a total of 170 dollars. I have spent more than that going to Blacksburg for a regular season game before.
They should pay you to stay in Shreveport.....have to be a die hard VT fan to go to this bowl. Hard to imagine turning down the military bowl for Shreveport.

It's Coach Beamer's final game. That is its biggest drawings card. Not to mention VT fans can stop off in Tuscaloosa on way down or back. When I stop I will get you a gift.

It's Coach Beamer's final game. That is its biggest drawing card. Not to mention VT fans can stop off in Tuscaloosa on way down or back. When I stop I will get you a gift.

Any truth to VT turning down the military bowl? VT would have shown up in groves for this one...
I heard this too on the grapevine. I'm OK with the bowl we are in . My fear was being way overmatched and I want very much for Coach Beamer to go out with a win if possible.

Winning the Independence Bowl is better than losing any other bowl. In reality after the Sugar and Orange and Chick Filet, all bowls are basically the same.

I can understand why Hoo fans not be familiar with bowl games. But with VT having gone to 23 straight, I can understand there is not much difference in them. Granted the Sugar, Orange and Chic Filet are better than the others.

I can understand why Hoo fans not be familiar with bowl games. But with VT having gone to 23 straight, I can understand there is not much difference in them. Granted the Sugar, Orange and Chic Filet are better than the others.
Yep Shreveport is right at the top....LOL. I can think of a lot of places I would rather go than Shreveport, LA. Except for playing on that stupid blue field in Idaho I can't think of many worse. VT choosing this bowl to assure FB a win is one thing but trying to sell anyone on this being a good bowl is well.....funny.

Yep Shreveport is right at the top....LOL. I can think of a lot of places I would rather go than Shreveport, LA. Except for playing on that stupid blue field in Idaho I can't think of many worse. VT choosing this bowl to assure FB a win is one thing but trying to sell anyone on this being a good bowl is well.....funny.
UVA will go to a bowl again - law of averages.

Lost both games... Another trivia question - when, which bowl and who was the opponent & the UVA coach in their last bowl win?
Al Groh won the Music City Bowl beating Minnesota.......here's one for you B1dee, when did VT win its last National Championship in any sport?

VT's total offense is 96th in the nation in a P5 conference, playing four top 30 defenses. Looking at Tulsa's opponents:

School------------------Total Offense---------Points Scored

FAU.............................82d (G5)......................44
New Mexico................80th (G5)......................21
Oklahoma.....................7th..............................52 (31 at halftime)_
Houston......................19th (AAC)...................38
La-Monroe................123d (G5).......................24
ECU............................56th (AAC)...................30
Memphis.....................13th (AAC)...................66
SMU............................74th (AAC)..................31
UCF..........................127th (AAC)...................30 - worst offense in the nation
Cincinnati.....................5th (AAC)....................49
Navy...........................51st (AAC)....................44
Tulane......................120th (AAC)....................34

Average..................... 63d...............................39

Given their quality of competition, they basically averaged nearly 40 points allowed to teams as good offensively as Virginia.

Virginia Tech averages nearly 30 points per game while playing a P5 conference schedule. Unless they come out completely flat and uninspired (doubtful, considering it is Frank's last game, and a chance to keep their winning streak alive), the Hokies should have NO problem handling a mediocre Tulsa team. I think this is precisely what The Powers That Be wanted to do: Send Frank off with a win in his final game and keep his personal winning seasonal streak intact at 23 years.

It is the most lopsided matchup of the bowl schedule, and purposely so. Should VT have drawn a better opponent? Perhaps, but the odds would have been far closer with a chance to lose both things no one wants.

We're talking history here...
Correct, lopsided.
Incorrect, purposefully so.

Al Groh won the Music City Bowl beating Minnesota.......here's one for you B1dee, when did VT win its last National Championship in any sport?
College National Bass Fishing Championship - 2007.

College National Bass Fishing Championship - 2007.
Sorry wrong.....not an NCAA sport.....try again. Club sports don't count but a nice try....there are only a few schools that have never won a NC in D1, can't imagine VT would be one of those. B1Dee, you keep looking and maybe you will find one somewhere.

Sorry wrong.....not an NCAA sport.....try again. Club sports don't count but a nice try....there are only a few schools that have never won a NC in D1, can't imagine VT would be one of those. B1Dee, you keep looking and maybe you will find one somewhere.
I gotcha Hoos, I haven't been looking 'cause there's nothing to find.

Honestly, very few people care about 9/10 of NCAA sports. That's why they cannot self-support. nobody goes. Nobody cares, and some of them are just retarded. I will admit, however, when looking over the list of uva's national championships, I found it sort of impressive. Also speaking frankly, the only one I was even semi-jealous over was baseball -- and uva would trade that for a football championship in a millisecond (as would VT if we had one to trade).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT