ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson-Virginia Tech Game

Dec 1, 2014
Clemson fan here coming to see how y'all are feeling about your team for the upcoming season? My wife and I normally try to make one road game a year, and we decided to travel to Blacksburg for this one.

As far is Clemson is concerned, the defense will be very strong, with our front seven our strength. Offensively, we will have a ton of weapons, it will just be a matter of OLine growth and a solid qb candidates to emerge.

Kelly Bryant is a true junior and is an insanely gifted runner. His reads, accuracy, and deep ball still leave plenty to be desired.

Cooper is a redshirt freshman and has the strongest arm, but struggles with reads and general field awareness. Weakest runner of the three.

Hunter Johnson is a true freshman early enrollee. Very good thrower and runner, but lacks playbook knowledge and decision making, like most freshman.

Most Clemson fans think Kelly will start the year off, with either Cooper or Johnson taking over by the third or fourth game. My
Money is Johnson to be the man.

Any questions y'all might have about Clemson I will do my best to answer.

Last edited:
Welcome to the board, guys. VT will be a giant box of chocolates to open the season, at least on offense. Your guess is as good as ours at this point what that will look like.

We should be pretty solid on defense, and special teams looked surprisingly OK last season (after several years of embarrassingly poor play). I think we have a good shot at finishing above .500 on the season, but whether that means 7 wins or 10 wins, there's no telling.

With the rebuilding job VT will be undergoing in 2017, there's zero expectations from me. Just play hard every week and get better.

Jokes:

HR6 is the eternal optimist on the board. Doesn't matter the odds - Hokies first. That said - we are having to reload on key positions (QB - WRs) and O-Line. So after a better than expected season last year it will be interesting to see how Fuentes adjusts to the personnel changes. I guess we are optimistically hopeful for a good season but not really expecting the same results as last year. I think we played a closer game with you then many (especially Clemson fans) would like to admit. I do not think that will be the case this year. Clearly you have the talent and experience level over us this year by far. We give you a good game and keep within 21 points and I would be happy.

Watson was key to Clemson's offense. He carried the team 99% of the time.

Not to bring stats to this hyperbole, but Evans ran for 846 yards and 12 TDs, while throwing for 3,552 yards and 29 TDs. Virginia Tech had 6,229 yards of offense of which Evans was responsible for 4,398 yards, or 70.61%. Virginia Tech scored 58 TDs, of which Evans was responsible for 70.69%, or 41.

Deshaun ran for 629 yards and 9 TDs, while throwing for 4,593 yards and 41 TDs. Clemson had 7,555 yards of offense, of which Deshaun was responsible for 5,222 yards, or 69.12%. Clemson scored 75 TDs, of which Deshaun was responsible for 66.67%, or 50.

It seems like percentage wise, Virginia Tech lost more at the QB spot. I would also wager that Virginia Tech does not have 2 4 stars and a 5 star on campus fighting for the now vacant QB spot.

I don't deny that Deshaun carried Clemson, but the stats show the Evans just as much as if not more vital to Virginia Tech. I would also say that Clemson has recruited better, putting itself in a better position to succeed given what has been lost, but I havent checked the number to back up that claim.

I used ESPN's 2016 team stats for reference, if you would like to check my work.

I think Evans is a much bigger loss than Watson for exactly the reason you state, there is way more depth and quality in that depth at Clemson. This goes for the losses at receiver too. The hope is we have an advantage in coaching that bridges the gap. And I say that as one of the few non-Clemson Dabo admirers. I think Fuente and Foster are just a step ahead of damn near everyone else in the country from an X and O's standpoint, but I'm admittedly biased.

Aside from all that, enjoy your trip to the 'burg. I've damn near seen a game in every ACC venue, and only FSU and your home have comparable game day experiences.

Reactions: Jokes On You
Where do you see the strength of your team coming from, considering your personnel losses and precious recruiting?

Coaching.

Clearly on paper you should win. We're obviously rebuilding, but we won't be without talent either. If our defense can slow your offense, with this coaching staff anything is possible.

The hope is we have an advantage in coaching that bridges the gap. And I say that as one of the few non-Clemson Dabo admirers. I think Fuente and Foster are just a step ahead of damn near everyone else in the country from an X and O's standpoint, but I'm admittedly biased.

Coaching.

Clearly on paper you should win. We're obviously rebuilding, but we won't be without talent either. If our defense can slow your offense, with this coaching staff anything is possible.

I know everyone always thinks they have the best coaches, but where specifically do you both see the coaching advantages? I really like both of your coaches, but Clemson has played Virginia Tech 4 times since Swinney became head coach, and he has won all four times by a combined margin of 66 points. I realize Fuente is an upgrade offensively over the previous staff, but Foster has been the same defensive coordinator the whole time.

I realize last years ACC championship was close, but if you allow me to fully display my bias, the ejection of Dorian O'Daniel devasted the game plan for Clemson. That combined with the blown rush 0 play allowed the game to be much closer than it normally would have been.

I greatly respect both of your coaches and think that Fuente was a homerun hire, and I'm sure you read the articles where he was almost hired over Morris for the offensive coordinator job (if not I'll find the stories from last season that dig that story up). All that said, I don't see how you can think there is a coaching advantage over Clemson who has now won 10 games for 6 straight season, spanning two different offense coordinators and defensive coordinators, not to mention the back to back 14-1 seasons, and of course the Natty. There has to be some good X and O coaching in there somewhere.

Aside from all that, enjoy your trip to the 'burg. I've damn near seen a game in every ACC venue, and only FSU and your home have comparable game day experiences.
Appreciate the words! Every time I have planned an FSU trip, something has come up last second. 2018 will be my year for sure.

Still want to check out LVille pretty badly. Been to old acc foe Maryland, UVA, Duke, UNC, NC State, Auburn, Georgia Tech, and South Carolina. From that list, it was Auburn, a mile wide chasm, South Carolina, another small gap, then everyone else. Hoping y'all at least push South Carolina down that list!

I know everyone always thinks they have the best coaches, but where specifically do you both see the coaching advantages? I really like both of your coaches, but Clemson has played Virginia Tech 4 times since Swinney became head coach, and he has won all four times by a combined margin of 66 points. I realize Fuente is an upgrade offensively over the previous staff, but Foster has been the same defensive coordinator the whole time.

I realize last years ACC championship was close, but if you allow me to fully display my bias, the ejection of Dorian O'Daniel devasted the game plan for Clemson. That combined with the blown rush 0 play allowed the game to be much closer than it normally would have been.

I greatly respect both of your coaches and think that Fuente was a homerun hire, and I'm sure you read the articles where he was almost hired over Morris for the offensive coordinator job (if not I'll find the stories from last season that dig that story up). All that said, I don't see how you can think there is a coaching advantage over Clemson who has now won 10 games for 6 straight season, spanning two different offense coordinators and defensive coordinators, not to mention the back to back 14-1 seasons, and of course the Natty. There has to be some good X and O coaching in there somewhere.

Since you quoted both my post and another post, for my part, I didn't give an opinion about our coaches vs your coaches. I was just answering the question about where (I see) the strength of our team coming from. I wouldn't give this team a chance in hell of upsetting Clemson if we still had Beamer as coach, but you're not playing against Beamer anymore and we saw firsthand last season what a Fuente offense at Tech is capable of. So while I'm not expecting an upset, it wouldn't shock me either. Foster's record speaks for itself. When he has the talent he puts a great defense on the field. Whether or not he'll have enough talent to slow your offense in next year's game remains to be seen. But I will say I am glad we'll have a few games behind us before we face your offense.

Since you quoted both my post and another post, for my part, I didn't give an opinion about our coaches vs your coaches. I was just answering the question about where (I see) the strength of our team coming from. I wouldn't give this team a chance in hell of upsetting Clemson if we still had Beamer as coach, but you're not playing against Beamer anymore and we saw firsthand last season what a Fuente offense at Tech is capable of. So while I'm not expecting an upset, it wouldn't shock me either. Foster's record speaks for itself. When he has the talent he puts a great defense on the field. Whether or not he'll have enough talent to slow your offense in next year's game remains to be seen. But I will say I am glad we'll have a few games behind us before we face your offense.
Apologies on the misunderstanding. I thought your "bridge the gap" comment was a comparison between the two schools, not between VT last year and this year. .

I think the way Clemson's schedule sets up is extremely favorable for VT. Having to face Lville and Auburn, two teams we will definitely have to open up the playbook for, before we face Tech will be a huge boost to the scouting abilities. Clemson also has another ACC game in Boston College. West Virginia isnt exactly garbage, but the Old Dominion East Carolina, Delaware slate that follows the West Virginia game should be easy enough to where Tech can work on more issues without exposing any tricks. This is where I think the biggest VT advantage will come from, and it very well could lead to an upset.

Apologies on the misunderstanding. I thought your "bridge the gap" comment was a comparison between the two schools, not between VT last year and this year. .

I think the way Clemson's schedule sets up is extremely favorable for VT. Having to face Lville and Auburn, two teams we will definitely have to open up the playbook for, before we face Tech will be a huge boost to the scouting abilities. Clemson also has another ACC game in Boston College. West Virginia isnt exactly garbage, but the Old Dominion East Carolina, Delaware slate that follows the West Virginia game should be easy enough to where Tech can work on more issues without exposing any tricks. This is where I think the biggest VT advantage will come from, and it very well could lead to an upset.

No problem. "Bridge the gap" wasn't my comment either though, you would have to discuss that with him. I do agree the schedule sets up good for us, and WVU will be a heck of a test for our rebuilding team in the first game. I'm never very comfortable with early season games against tough competition, and even against the lesser name opponents those early season games seem to be when you hear about the most surprises. But I think we'll take care of business against teams like ECU a lot better under this staff than we did in Beamer's sunset seasons. The Clemson game is where we're really going to find out the most about what kind of team we are going to be next season. For the the record, I've never been more bullish about our future than I am feeling right now with this new coaching staff and our recruiting. Playing in the ACC Coastal with this staff I think we're going to be a factor in the championship and playoff race every year. I could not be happier with the coaching hire we made.

Opening games have bit us more than once. Personally I had rather play a cupcake from a P5 conference on opening day at Lane Stadium.

I did mention I was biased. I do think there is a significant talent gap in Clemson's favor, so win/loss is not the total story for me. To be competitive with lesser talent is usually, but certainly not always, a result of better coaching. Which is not to say I don't think Dabo is a good coach, I do, and I mentioned that in my post. I just think the Fuente/Foster tandem is a bit better on game day. Dabo's still a helluva game day coach in my opinion, and I think he's one of, if not the best recruiting head coach out there. You have every right to feel you have one of the best in the biz, which I think is apparent with the new piece of hardware you just addded to your trophy case.

And just to be clear, like jolly, I wouldn't be shocked if we won, but i certainly won't be expecting it. In due time though, if F squared stay together, I think we'll show up in Charlotte more years than not, and maybe start making the final four. Could have a great ACC rivalry brewing between two very similar schools.

Reactions: mrjolly01
Clemson fan here coming to see how y'all are feeling about your team for the upcoming season? My wife and I normally try to make one road game a year, and we decided to travel to Blacksburg for this one.

As far is Clemson is concerned, the defense will be very strong, with our front seven our strength. Offensively, we will have a ton of weapons, it will just be a matter of OLine growth and a solid qb candidates to emerge.

Kelly Bryant is a true junior and is an insanely gifted runner. His reads, accuracy, and deep ball still leave plenty to be desired.

Cooper is a redshirt freshman and has the strongest arm, but struggles with reads and general field awareness. Weakest runner of the three.

Hunter Johnson is a true freshman early enrollee. Very good thrower and runner, but lacks playbook knowledge and decision making, like most freshman.

Most Clemson fans think Kelly will start the year off, with either Cooper or Johnson taking over by the third or fourth game. My
Money is Johnson to be the man.

Any questions y'all might have about Clemson I will do my best to answer.
Bumping my own thread. Never have I felt so good about being wrong. Kelly Bryant has looked awesome so far. Expect a hard fought game against yall. Looking forward to gameday being in town provided we both take care of business this weekend.

Reactions: PainClinic
We've looked WAY better on offense that I expecting coming into the season...but not quite as good on defense.

The net result, however, is that I think we've looked good enough that I could see us making this a legit game again, just like in the ACCCG. I still expect a Clemson win, but I have no worries at the moment that we'll embarrass ourselves on national TV like we frequently used to do under Beamer.

I have a hunch that Clemson better buckle their chin straps for this one. This VT team has some pretty serious abilities. It's raw and it's still evolving...but it's there.

Another Clemson guy here. Aside from BC, VT is probably my favorite ACC team that's not Clemson.

Coming into the season, I had 4 games circled as problematic for Clemson: Auburn, UofL, VT, and FSU. I predicted 9-3 for the regulars season thinking that we'd lose half of the 4 games mentioned and probably a WTF game against NC State/GT or someone. The primary reason for this uncertainty was Clemson's offense and specifically the QB play.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the way the season has progressed and Kelly Bryant has performed better than any reasonable prediction I had. So I feel that it's a pretty strong Clemson squad coming into VT Saturday a week. I simply have NO IDEA how good or bad VT really is. You guys looked sharp against WV in the opener, but 3 cupcakes in a row since then haven't showed me anything. WV has had cupcakes as well, so it's tough to know how good they are or how good VT is.

So what are you guys thinking about your offense and defense so far this year and how do you think that you stack up vs. Clemson?

So what are you guys thinking about your offense and defense so far this year and how do you think that you stack up vs. Clemson?
Coming into the year, I thought our defense would have to play lights out and keep the score down because our offense would have trouble scoring, so for VT to win, it would take a 21-17 type of effort.

But VT's defense has been suspect in the passing game (again) and Clemson's offense has looked pretty sporty (again), so I think we can safety ditch any thoughts of holding Clemson in the teens. Just like last year, we'll be doing fairly well to hold Clemson in the 30s.

The good news is...the VT offense has some unexpected pop, so I'm expecting to see quite a bit more than 17 from our side as well.

I still see Clemson as a solid favorite here, but do NOT be surprised if when all is said and done in 2017, you guys look back on things and see that VT ended up fielding one of the best offenses you saw all year. Again. And if you do see Josh Jackson out there making some plays, try not to let it give you nightmares about 2020 when you remember that he's still a freshman. We're probably a year (or maybe two) away from seriously competing for a playoff spot, but the writing is on the wall when you look at what Fuente has accomplished so far. We weren't too far off from winning the ACC last year in year 1...and I don't think we'll be too far off from doing it this year, either. NEXT year...well, it's going to get very interesting for the rest of the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: hopefultiger13
Personally I do not think we have what it takes this year and that we will not be as close as the ACCCG. We still haven't established a running game against anyone who can stop the run. Our defensive line is not as explosive as it has been. The defense is not camping out in the backfield giving the opposing QB plenty of time to throw. I am hoping that they put together a good game so we are not an embarrassment. So tell your guys to go easy on us. You spank us too hard and that will be another ACC team out of the top 25.

I agree that much of the competition we have played so far makes it challenging to assess how we will fare against a team like Clemson this year. At least beating WVU at Fedex seems like a strong win, perhaps as good or even better compared to any of Clemson's wins so far. After watching Clemson's game against BC today, in which Clemson actually looked like a possibly beatable team for 3 quarters, for a change, I have to believe we may be good enough to have at least a punchers chance. I would not pick us, straight up, because Clemson has the overall talent advantage IMO. Still, our talent is easily good enough to pull it off with great coaching. And I think we have great coaching. And I think Clemson has great coaching, but the two don't necessarily cancel each other out. I think it just gives us a shot despite a little less talent overall. So I'm kind of expecting another game going to the wire like our ACC championship game last season.

Clemson's game today was the best case scenario. They looked terrible for such a long period that there will be tons of things to correct. Also, there is no way that they will be overconfident after playing so poorly

Reactions: PainClinic
Coming into the year, I thought our defense would have to play lights out and keep the score down because our offense would have trouble scoring, so for VT to win, it would take a 21-17 type of effort.

But VT's defense has been suspect in the passing game (again) and Clemson's offense has looked pretty sporty (again), so I think we can safety ditch any thoughts of holding Clemson in the teens. Just like last year, we'll be doing fairly well to hold Clemson in the 30s.

The good news is...the VT offense has some unexpected pop, so I'm expecting to see quite a bit more than 17 from our side as well.

I still see Clemson as a solid favorite here, but do NOT be surprised if when all is said and done in 2017, you guys look back on things and see that VT ended up fielding one of the best offenses you saw all year. Again. And if you do see Josh Jackson out there making some plays, try not to let it give you nightmares about 2020 when you remember that he's still a freshman. We're probably a year (or maybe two) away from seriously competing for a playoff spot, but the writing is on the wall when you look at what Fuente has accomplished so far. We weren't too far off from winning the ACC last year in year 1...and I don't think we'll be too far off from doing it this year, either. NEXT year...well, it's going to get very interesting for the rest of the league.

This is pretty much exactly like I feel. I'm feeling that Clemson has the advantage here and that all things being equal, Clemson wins by 2 scores. HOWEVER, VT has a GREAT coaching staff and the game is at VT and gameday is there. That's a lot of variables and a LOT to worry about. I think Clemson wins if they bring their A- game or even a B+ type, they can squeak one out. BUT if VT has a great night and Clemson isn't at the top of their game, look out!

With FSU's performance against NC State, I'd say this game is the toughest remaining game we have. VT absolutely has what it takes to win this one.I won't rest easy until Clemson has more points and the clock reads 0 time in the 4th.

This is pretty much exactly like I feel. I'm feeling that Clemson has the advantage here and that all things being equal, Clemson wins by 2 scores. HOWEVER, VT has a GREAT coaching staff and the game is at VT and gameday is there. That's a lot of variables and a LOT to worry about. I think Clemson wins if they bring their A- game or even a B+ type, they can squeak one out. BUT if VT has a great night and Clemson isn't at the top of their game, look out!

With FSU's performance against NC State, I'd say this game is the toughest remaining game we have. VT absolutely has what it takes to win this one.I won't rest easy until Clemson has more points and the clock reads 0 time in the 4th.
I just hope VT has an "A" game so we are not an embarrassment on the national stage. If we are within 3 scores I will be happy. 2 or less scores and I am overjoyed.

ESPN ran an article today saying that the ACC needed for VT to step up and help Clemson carry the league banner since Louisville and FSU have been such disappointments, but as much as a hate to say it, I think a VT win here looks bad on the league from a national perspective.

I'll take it, mind you (VT has it's own street cred that we're trying to build up under Fuente), but what's best for the league right now is for VT to lose a really close, well-played game, and for both teams look really good in the process, and for Clemson to then NOT stub their toe for the rest of the year. That tells the nation that the ACC is not a one-trick pony this season...but also keeps the ACC's top national title hopeful with the most street cred in play for defending their title.

BUT...if we manage to blow all that up, then that's fine, too :) We can start a new narrative if that ends up being the case (the ACC has yet another powerhouse coming onto the scene).

Reactions: hopefultiger13
I am very hopeful that we will win this game. I have been to every game gameday has been to at VT and one thing I know lane will absolutely be rocking. It will be an electric atmosphere!!!

I did mention I was biased. I do think there is a significant talent gap in Clemson's favor, so win/loss is not the total story for me. To be competitive with lesser talent is usually, but certainly not always, a result of better coaching. Which is not to say I don't think Dabo is a good coach, I do, and I mentioned that in my post. I just think the Fuente/Foster tandem is a bit better on game day. Dabo's still a helluva game day coach in my opinion, and I think he's one of, if not the best recruiting head coach out there. You have every right to feel you have one of the best in the biz, which I think is apparent with the new piece of hardware you just addded to your trophy case.

And just to be clear, like jolly, I wouldn't be shocked if we won, but i certainly won't be expecting it. In due time though, if F squared stay together, I think we'll show up in Charlotte more years than not, and maybe start making the final four. Could have a great ACC rivalry brewing between two very similar schools.

You mention the Fuente/Foster tandem is better on GAMEDAY than Dabo? What about Dabo/Venables? In my opinion, Brent Venables is the best DC in college football. He is a HUGE reason Clemson is ranked #3 in total defense this year. I don't know who sets VT's schedule but you can't play 3 cup cakes in a row then expect to play at the same level against Clemson. I predict a Clemson victory of course (of course, I wear orange-shaded glasses). However, I don't see a blowout. Is VT's offense better than Louisville's? I don't think Josh Jackson isn't quite on par with Lamar Jackson just yet. Is VT's defense on par with Auburn? Not yet. My point is, we have played a MUCH tougher schedule and are probably more prepared for VT than VT is for Clemson. I could be proven wrong Saturday night. See y'all in Blacksburg!!!!

Reactions: willtiger1234
You mention the Fuente/Foster tandem is better on GAMEDAY than Dabo? What about Dabo/Venables? In my opinion, Brent Venables is the best DC in college football. He is a HUGE reason Clemson is ranked #3 in total defense this year. I don't know who sets VT's schedule but you can't play 3 cup cakes in a row then expect to play at the same level against Clemson. I predict a Clemson victory of course (of course, I wear orange-shaded glasses). However, I don't see a blowout. Is VT's offense better than Louisville's? I don't think Josh Jackson isn't quite on par with Lamar Jackson just yet. Is VT's defense on par with Auburn? Not yet. My point is, we have played a MUCH tougher schedule and are probably more prepared for VT than VT is for Clemson. I could be proven wrong Saturday night. See y'all in Blacksburg!!!!
Josh Jackson isn't Lamar, but he will play better than Lamar did. Lamar freelanced too much and Petrino called a terrible game.

Dabo and Venables are great, I don't think that's debatable, but so are Fuente and foster. And we both wear a particular shade of glasses, so I believe foster is the best in the business and has been proving it with lesser talent for years. Jackson is no where near as good as Lamar, but I think Fuente is a much better offensive mind than Petrino. He better be if we plan to keep it close. Clemson is a much better overall team than VT at this point, and I expect them to win, but you never know what will happen when two well coached teams play.

As for schedule, this year's schedule was set up perfectly for VT. They have a young team, so those cupcakes are exactly what they needed to get some seasoning without taking any losses and dents to their confidence. And with the WV game, they also got a chance for a big stage game.

This season started perfectly for Tech, Clemson, and the ACC. We will all have the attention of the college football world on Saturday, so no matter who wins, the benefits will be huge. If Clemson wins, I will be pulling for them the rest of the season to repeat. If we win, well, not sure what I'll do. I'll be so damn beside myself, it may take months before I come off a high like that!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT