ADVERTISEMENT

Coastal Division Race

backstreetheel

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2001
So we have ourselves a mess!

Virginia Tech is in the driver's seat and if you guys win out you go to the ACCCG. Beating us at home has you well positioned but with little margin for error after the loss @ Syracuse. But anything can happen and no one really has any margin for error. Every team losing at least one more would not be surprising.

Pitt seems to have the toughest road with both Miami & Virginia Tech in the division and having to play Clemson.

Miami still has you guys on a short week and Pitt along with a trip to rollywood to play the wusspack.

Virginia Tech has Miami & Pitt but should be favored in the other three.

Carolina has played the most divisional games and has the tie breaker over both Miami & Pitt but Virginia Tech has the tie breaker over us. Still we should be favored over our last five games and we have The Citadel the week before we end the season with the peckerheads @ home.

Remaining ACC Games for each team:

Virginia Tech - Miami (short week), @ Pitt, @ dook, Georgia Tech, Virginia

Miami - @ Virginia Tech (short week), Pitt, @ UVA, @ n.c. state, dook

Pitt - Virginia Tech (after bye), @ Miami, @ Clemson, dook, Syracuse

Carolina - @ UVA, Georgia Tech, @ dook, n.c. state

Standings Today:

North Carolina 3-1
Virginia Tech 2-1
Pitt 2-1
Virginia 1-1
Miami 1-2
Georgia Tech 1-3
dook 0-3

So how do you see it?

I think with our loss to Syracuse, UNC will win the coastal. If we are lucky, we might win D U since they really are not good, but it is very possible that we will lose to Pitt in the following week, and there goes the coastal title.

That being said, I'm OK with it. I just hope no matter win or lose, Tech should play with its identity, which is a solid defense plus a non-predictable offense, better with no turnover. Play to win, but accept the result.

I will enjoy the game and cheer for the team for the rest of the season. Let's forget the coastal title and others.

So we have ourselves a mess!

Virginia Tech is in the driver's seat and if you guys win out you go to the ACCCG. Beating us at home has you well positioned but with little margin for error after the loss @ Syracuse. But anything can happen and no one really has any margin for error. Every team losing at least one more would not be surprising.

Pitt seems to have the toughest road with both Miami & Virginia Tech in the division and having to play Clemson.

Miami still has you guys on a short week and Pitt along with a trip to rollywood to play the wusspack.

Virginia Tech has Miami & Pitt but should be favored in the other three.

Carolina has played the most divisional games and has the tie breaker over both Miami & Pitt but Virginia Tech has the tie breaker over us. Still we should be favored over our last five games and we have The Citadel the week before we end the season with the peckerheads @ home.

Remaining ACC Games for each team:

Virginia Tech - Miami (short week), @ Pitt, @ dook, Georgia Tech, Virginia

Miami - @ Virginia Tech (short week), Pitt, @ UVA, @ n.c. state, dook

Pitt - Virginia Tech (after bye), @ Miami, @ Clemson, dook, Syracuse

Carolina - @ UVA, Georgia Tech, @ dook, n.c. state

Standings Today:

North Carolina 3-1
Virginia Tech 2-1
Pitt 2-1
Virginia 1-1
Miami 1-2
Georgia Tech 1-3
dook 0-3

So how do you see it?

I have a hunch that it's going to get a lot messier before it's all said and done, because I don't think any team in the Division is done losing yet.

On paper, UNC has its toughest games behind them compared to everyone else and has the best chance to win out, but after seeing UNC play three times this season already, I don't think they're good enough to do it. But that might not even matter if everyone else drops another game or two as well.

I guess my prediction is that the Coastal winner heads to the ACCCG with 2 losses. Who that 2 loss team is anyone's guess at this point, and how many teams are tied with 2 losses will probably be more than 2, which would bring weird tiebreakers into play. I think this is going to be a very entertaining race.

we really sh... the bed with the syracuse loss. we could have really separated ourselves with a win there..

I hate to say it, but that loss was VERY Beamer-esque. What an embarrasing effort all the way around.

Reactions: RB4
Hey . . .I know this was a huge disappointment. Especially losing that way to Syracuse. But it may be just the ammunition Justin needs to keep this team motivated the rest of the year. I would make every player read the key stats and score every practice. I would make them know that every second, every yard, every play, every game is critical. 150% effort all the time. Nothing else will do. We do not have the talent level that Miami, Clemson, or even Florida State has. Probably never will. So we need full effort from the talent we have.

I think we will come out on fire next game. The next game will be the deciding factor of our season. Put Cuse behind and play ball.

Just don't pucker up and play for the "safe" game winning FG option when the time comes.

UNC has the easiest road to winning the Coastal. The U is no slouch and for that matter neither is Pitt. If we were to beat them then I would say eh,maybe VaTech.

I bet the UNC team will not refer to us as the "wusspack" after this year's game.

Yeah, we'll see on the field and then one of us can talk trash.

But after the butt kicking you guys took in the first quarter last year at home I'd keep my mouth shut till you do something on the field.

Let's see how you do against FSU & Miami before you start predicting anything about what will happen with Carolina. Beat both those teams then we'll talk. I'd be worried about the trip to Syracuse before I focused too much on UNC.

As this is a Virginia Tech board I won't insult our hosts by commenting further on a subject that is only concerns them if it affects the Coastal race at the end. If it does then I'd expect them to pull for the result that benefits Virginia Tech.

HR6,

You are correct in that you guys control your own fate.

You win out there is nothing we can do since you pummeled us.

I am hoping you stumble, but if not you guys will deserve the title.

HR6,

You are correct in that you guys control your own fate.

You win out there is nothing we can do since you pummeled us.

I am hoping you stumble, but if not you guys will deserve the title.
"Just win out."

Man, that sounds so simple on paper. I think Syracuse just scored again.

I still trying to decode what went wrong at Syracuse.

I hope UNC beats UVA Saturday. I am tired of hearing about the boo hoos. The way media acts about them, they should be right up there with Alabama.

I still trying to decode what went wrong at Syracuse.

I hope UNC beats UVA Saturday. I am tired of hearing about the boo hoos. The way media acts about them, they should be right up there with Alabama.
What went wrong at Cuse is they scored more points than you did.....really not that hard to figure out.

What went wrong at Cuse is they scored more points than you did.....really not that hard to figure out.
There's more to it than that. Syracuse whipped us. On both sides of the ball. Why? How did that happen?

There's more to it than that. Syracuse whipped us. On both sides of the ball. Why? How did that happen?
Our Plan sucked. Particularly on D. Our O playcalling was absolutly terrible.Special teams were operating without a punter and FG kicker. Our team was not ready to play. This was strictly coaching.

Congrats on the Miami win. You guys stepped up and played really well. Its yours to lose. I just hope we win out and keep the pressure on.

Enjoy the win, your guys earned it.

Congrats on the Miami win. You guys stepped up and played really well. Its yours to lose. I just hope we win out and keep the pressure on.

Enjoy the win, your guys earned it.
It might technically be ours to win, but we don't actually control anything until we get past the Heinz curse on Thurs.

It's REALLY hard to explain how bad we've sucked at that place over the past 20 years, going all the way back to our Big East days. That's a big, big hurdle for us to get past if we're going to win the division.

I don't think this is a typical Pitt defense. Penn St hung 39 on them at Heinz and GT had 34, and VT has a much better offense than either one of those teams have.

I'd say we don't usually play well there so it's not likely, but I'm guessing there are plenty of teams out there who could break Pitt's scoreboard this year if Pitt were playing them.

No, it probably won't be against us, but I think that'll have more to do with our offensive execution in an environment that traditionally gives us fits more so than their defensive prowess.

Pitt is like Syracuse. We should beat them handily. Granted we looked terrible vs Syracuse. I think we learned our lesson and will go to Pittsburg ready to play.

Pitt beat Penn State. Penn State beat Ohio State. Therefore, ...................

Its funny to see who has beat whom but there is no transitive effect in college football.

Still I expect a very tight game and of course am pulling for Pitt just like you guys were pulling for UVA last weekend. Whatever helps your team you do, even if it means pulling for a hated rival.

Pitt can still win the Coastal, although it would require them to beat Virginia Tech, for Carolina to lose again, and for Pitt to beat Clemson. So they still have the divisional championship as a goal.

Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Pitt is like Syracuse. We should beat them handily. Granted we looked terrible vs Syracuse. I think we learned our lesson and will go to Pittsburg ready to play.
This game is different in that VT may show up ready to play and still lose... Pitt is a much better football team than Syracuse and I think Pitt is 6-2 in the last eight against VT. ( read that somewhere). Will be a good game but your post is a bit arrogant considering recent history.

Will be a good game but your post is a bit arrogant considering recent history.
Welcome to the board. HR6 is our resident homer...he likes Bama and VT and everyone else can fall off a cliff for all he cares.

lol... every fan base has them.... should be a good game in Pittsburgh. weather may be brutal though..(rain and wind)..

Without looking it up and verifying, I think I heard that VT's last win in Heinz was in 2002 or something like that? We're 0-4 there since then?

Something like that.. I am not sure how relevant it is.. diff teams and diff coaching staffs. I see this coming down to how well VT will throw against a porous pitt pass D.. I dont think Vt will move the ball much on the ground... Pitt will need to move the ball on the ground offensively to win.. good match up of two of the better coastal teams...

I'm also hearing the rumblings of wind and rain in the forecast. We fared OK the last time we played a game in conditions like that, so let's see if we can duplicate it.

VT is now firmly in control of division. We should win remaining 4 games. I think we can beat Clemson in ACC title game. I just hope Louisville doesn't sneak into playoffs if Clemson doesn't win ACC. Louise probably will not win their division in ACC. They are probably nation's most over rated team behind Michigan.

OK my prediction of VT 45 and PITT 37 overestimated the VT score. However, I did not think they would have to kick field goals 6 times when in the red zone. VT should have easily got 45 last night as the current PITT defense is not that good. Maybe they will be in a couple of years, but not this year's version.

OK my prediction of VT 45 and PITT 37 overestimated the VT score. However, I did not think they would have to kick field goals 6 times when in the red zone. VT should have easily got 45 last night as the current PITT defense is not that good. Maybe they will be in a couple of years, but not this year's version.
good win and you are right VT had opportunities to score more. Their coach needed a valum too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT