ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Clemson...

hokiemtc

Hokie Hall of Fame
Mar 29, 2002
You guys have a terrific football team in all 3 phases of the game, and are very deserving of your ranking.

As for the game, our D did a little better than I was expecting, save for a few tackling issues in the 3rd qtr. If you would've told me Clemson would have 24 points on offense before the kickoff, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat.

Offensively, however, I was pretty horrified by the play calling in general. I thought before the game that VT could move the ball some, but I think this might've been the worst coached game on offense since this new staff has been in Blacksburg. In addition to numerous head scratching plays that killed drives (a QB draw into a blitz on 3rd and long, end arounds, screens when Clemson was laying back, etc.), the untimely fumble at midfield to start the 3rd qtr completely changed the complexion of the game, and the pick 6 that went right thru the receivers' hands was the nail in the coffin. When Jackson was allowed to sit in the pocket and run traditional pass plays, he had some really nice throws. But ALL of the other garbage that was called in this game did not work, period. I think our offensive coaches might have out-thought themselves in this one and tried to get cute, instead of just running the stuff that we're pretty good at running. I credit Clemson's D for intimidating the play calling, and hopefully this is a lesson learned for the future.

SO...my one 1 promise before the game was that Clemson would not still be ranked #3 in total D on Sunday...turns out I still might be right...maybe you'll be ranked #2, LOL.

Looking ahead, if VT doesn't figure out these really slow starts on offense and if the defense doesn't fix the poor tackling, Clemson might not see VT again this year. We have some work to do if we're going to earn a rematch. I felt pretty confident about VT sitting on top of the division before today. However, Miami looked very, very good in dismantling Duke, and we didn't look nearly as good as I thought we would tonight. Right now, I'm not sure how VT stacks up compared to Miami. I guess we'll find out here shortly.

Other than the afforementioned missed tackles and one badly busted coverage play I was pretty satisfied with our defense against Clemson. I figured we could hold their offense under 30 and I was right. Giving up 24 points is not a bad showing against Clemson. But I was surprised how we kept shooting ourselves in the foot on offense, right out the gate on with an uncharacteristic shanked punt, immediately surrendering a short field to them. Then the play of the game imo, immediately after we held them 3 and out on their first series of the second half only to fumble the ball right back to them. Then late when we are still trying to get back in it and our receiver gift wraps a bobbled pass which should have been caught for a pick six for Clemson.

These are three plays that a game turns on. When we don't do this to ourselves its a better outcome. Congrats to Clemson who doesn't commit self inflicted game killing mistakes like that. And takes advantage of ours.

Yeah, this game is about what I expected. Clemson is an elite program (reigning national champs, no less), and our youth at key positions made winning much less realistic. I still think our ceiling is extremely high and I love what Fuente is doing with this program, but we're still a good two or three steps behind Clemson in talent level and identity. My hat is off to them, though and I hope they repeat as national champs. A superb defense and an extremely well-coached offense.

Yeah, this game is about what I expected. Clemson is an elite program (reigning national champs, no less), and our youth at key positions made winning much less realistic. I still think our ceiling is extremely high and I love what Fuente is doing with this program, but we're still a good two or three steps behind Clemson in talent level and identity. My hat is off to them, though and I hope they repeat as national champs. A superb defense and an extremely well-coached offense.

I think your schedule hurt you guys in this game. You played three cupcakes that didn't challenge you. I know you have no control over who you play, I just think that played a part in it. Our play calling in the 2nd half was simply "don't make mistakes". VT is a very good team and you will have your hands full with Miami and GT. I don't know if I WANT to see you guys in the Championship Game, assuming we don't stumble along the way somewhere.

Reactions: 6thDanTKD
Our play calling in the 2nd half was simply "don't make mistakes". VT is a very good team and you will have your hands full with Miami and GT. I don't know if I WANT to see you guys in the Championship Game, assuming we don't stumble along the way somewhere.
Thanks, and I agree. Clemson played smart, mistake free football, and a very good team with especially such a good defense is hard to beat when doing that. I don't see any teams remaining that can stop your run. I hope we can make it back for a re-match, certainly not a given for us at this point.

There is no question Alabama is the best team in the nation right now. Very similar to the last two years. Clemson/Bama part III would be a slobberknocker, but we aren't halfway through the season yet. We will still face a tough NCState team and a wounded FSU team, and either you guys again or Miami if we get that far. Still a long season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT