ADVERTISEMENT

Critical Decision Saturday. Play Lawson Now! Do not wait

Perhaps, but at least on couple of throws past 2 games, he stared his target down as soon as he began dropping back. Loved the Superman Sam Rogers option - as Frank eventually says in every interview, 'I like what that kid is all about'.

Stroman has jets/electricity returning punts, but has to stop running backwards so much.

VT has lots of offensive weapons, just gotta use them in right places.

No, you're right, Motley is doing exactly that right now...but if the route isn't there, then he at least is looking elsewhere and not (usually) forcing anything. I think Motley will learn later on that looking somewhere else initially will help his primary read get open a lot easier.

Currently, we have one QB that can play. We do need to get Lawson ready but we also need to get Motley better than he is now. Lawson is not far enough along to let him go in and throw passes. They are trying to get him ready as fast as they can but he has a long ways to go. We'll see how it goes from here on out.
That's where we were with Motley before the Ohio State game this year. He was never far enough along to throw a pass in a game.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
Motley does tend to stare down his no 1 but he is showing improvement . Just needs more snaps. I thought he did a very good job yesterday of managing the game. He does add the option of running which Brewer doesn't offer and he has a good arm.
For years now we have had a team that could never get enough of a lead on anyone to play a no. 2 QB. With ECU up and then the ACC schedule I'm not sure how this will work out as to playing Lawson for a meaningful number os snaps.

yeah Lawson's meaningful snaps are likely done unless we blow out one of the next few opponents which I doubt. I dont know why they would bring him in to do a read option when motley can do the same thing. I noticed Motley be cool in the pocket for the first time, even with pressure. he rolled out and hit open receivers. I hope he keeps improving because if he does and he stays protected, and VT plays well we can win our side of the ACC.

yeah Lawson's meaningful snaps are likely done unless we blow out one of the next few opponents which I doubt. I dont know why they would bring him in to do a read option when motley can do the same thing. I noticed Motley be cool in the pocket for the first time, even with pressure. he rolled out and hit open receivers. I hope he keeps improving because if he does and he stays protected, and VT plays well we can win our side of the ACC.
Agree, don't really expect to see much of Lawson at this point, or Durkin. It appears that all our eggs are in Motley's basket and now must just hope he doesn't get hurt. I'm not convinced yet we can win the Coastal until I see how we move the ball against better defenses than we've played the last two weeks. Furman is Furman, and I expect Purdue to get walloped a few more times this season. A lot of ways this season could play out for us.

I think we need to play Lawson more if he is to be Motley's backup. I understand we will get Brewer back but I am afraid he will be too rusty by that time to replace Motley. Would he be better served to take a medical redshirt? Can he?

I think that we didn't give the 2nd QB enough snaps. Motley simply wasn't prepared to enter the game with Ohio State and it showed. Should he go down, I would certainly want to have Lawson prepared. More playing time even if only in garbage time is critical. If we had a Heisman contender then I could see padding his stats. We don't so there is no need for that. Get the replacement significant playing time when the game is out of reach.

Again I think this is a fallacy of Beamer's game theory. You play it close and let defense hold means you have to keep your top guys in the game. You get a commanding lead (only possible through offense) and you get to give critical playing time to your 2nd/3rd string guys. You can't underestimate the value of actual playing time.

With Brewer coming back soon looks like a waste burning Lawson's red shirt......did London make that call.

I think we need to play Lawson more if he is to be Motley's backup. I understand we will get Brewer back but I am afraid he will be too rusty by that time to replace Motley. Would he be better served to take a medical redshirt? Can he?

I think that we didn't give the 2nd QB enough snaps. Motley simply wasn't prepared to enter the game with Ohio State and it showed. Should he go down, I would certainly want to have Lawson prepared. More playing time even if only in garbage time is critical. If we had a Heisman contender then I could see padding his stats. We don't so there is no need for that. Get the replacement significant playing time when the game is out of reach.

Again I think this is a fallacy of Beamer's game theory. You play it close and let defense hold means you have to keep your top guys in the game. You get a commanding lead (only possible through offense) and you get to give critical playing time to your 2nd/3rd string guys. You can't underestimate the value of actual playing time.

Agree, and with as much work as he appears to need, I would like to see him get an offensive series with the first team every time we go up by 3 TD, with the goal being at least 2 series a game, not including mop up.

We all know with Brewer's injury, the shirt is coming off of Lawson. We know that at some point, he us going to take over for our current QB Motley. Let him takeover now! This weekend to get more ready. God forbid we do not play him until we are on the ropes at ECU! Put the kid in the game this weekend for first team reps with the first team. This is critical in my opinion.

Please explain the urgency. I understand giving him meaningful snaps this year, but why start him? Why this week?

Before Motley's play the last two weeks the argument made some sense. Now, I don't see an upside to starting him. Not yet. Not with Motley playing well and trending upward. And especially not with Brewer seemingly mending at a miraculous pace.

With Brewer coming back soon looks like a waste burning Lawson's red shirt......did London make that call.
Not sure I buy it, but the decision to play Lawson this week was purportedly made before the season began.

Please explain the urgency. I understand giving him meaningful snaps this year, but why start him? Why this week?

Before Motley's play the last two weeks the argument made some sense. Now, I don't see an upside to starting him. Not yet. Not with Motley playing well and trending upward. And especially not with Brewer seemingly mending at a miraculous pace.
His post was made before the last two weeks, the day after the tOSU game.

Lawson's shirt was burned because he has an excellent upside. They want to get him ready to play asap but definitely want him ready to play next year.

Bring Lawson in tomorrow for a series and let him roll out and pass or run if some good yards are available. Other teams need to have to prepare for him too - which they won't have to do if he just comes in to run up the middle or hand the ball off!

Lawson's shirt was burned because he has an excellent upside. They want to get him ready to play asap but definitely want him ready to play next year.
I understand he has an excellent upside but bringing him in to hand off is not getting him ready. And with Brewer coming back he will only see mop up time. Just seems like a waste...

I understand he has an excellent upside but bringing him in to hand off is not getting him ready. And with Brewer coming back he will only see mop up time. Just seems like a waste...
Pfffft...blasphemy. Our genius coaches would NEVER screw up a personnel decision and waste a redshirt for no reason. Those handoffs are tactical brilliance designed to fool the other team into thinking...well, something, I'm sure.

Well, if Lawson turns out to be as great as his potential, he won't stay around for his senior season anyway, but he is too good an athlete to just let him hand off/run the middle. Use him for some razzle dazzle w Superman Rogers.

Lawson will be exponentially better after going thru Spring practice & learns VT's system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT