ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo Swinney

SacrydDreamz

Freshman
Aug 2, 2007
I have never understood the animosity towards him by some on this board... I don't get it.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12095454

He seems like a great motivator, recruiter, and let's face it, all around coach. He's gotten results. They are the clear #2 program in the ACC.

I've always been impressed by him. I'd take him as the head coach at VT any day of the week over what we have now.

Originally posted by Hokiepoke:
He is not a coach, never has been, but is a helluva recruiter like the Bowdens. As long as he has great assistants who can coach, he will do well.
He may not be a great coach but he understands what is needed to manage an organization the size of Clemson football .
He surrounds himself with the best talent money can but and let's them do their job. A head coach has to be able to manage in order to succeed.

Reactions: tigerpaw1944
I don't like his sorry a$$ because the last time we played them they were up by a lot and the game wasn't close and they ran a trick play against us to run the score up some more. Beamer's teams will run the ball all the way down the field and take knees to run out the clock.

Originally posted by BigDaddyHokie:
I don't like his sorry a$$ because the last time we played them they were up by a lot and the game wasn't close and they ran a trick play against us to run the score up some more. Beamer's teams will run the ball all the way down the field and take knees to run out the clock.
The way to prevent your opponent from running up the score is to stop them on defense and score on offense. Your anger is misplaced. Besides, Beamer is known for being too conservative and allowing inferior opponents to hang around much longer than they should, sometimes resulting in losses.

And regarding the comment about Dabo's coordinators... it's the Head Coach that runs the show and puts the pieces together. He is ultimately responsible for every aspect of the program... in a similar vein, Beamer is responsible for Virginia Tech's offensive woes over much of the past decade.

Reactions: flyfisher29640
He is not a coach, never has been, but is a helluva recruiter like the Bowdens. As long as he has great assistants who can coach, he will do well.
And as long as Beamer has Stiney on the payroll, our offense will be what? Knowing is half the battle in everything you do in life. Like I said, I'd take Dabo over what we currently have in a heartbeat.

Originally posted by hokiemtc:
And as long as Beamer has Stiney on the payroll, our offense will be what? Knowing is half the battle in everything you do in life. Like I said, I'd take Dabo over what we currently have in a heartbeat.
Trust me, you don't want Dumbo (he is known in the area as Dumbo) over Beamer or anybody else for that matter. The guy was hired by Tommy B only because of his recruiting credentials, and later promoted to HC so he can keep the recruiting going. He cannot coach the '85 Bears to a win over the 2014 Jaguars. The moment his assistants leave, he is finished. This is according to people who know him pretty well. There are better, much better options out there.

Better him than Baby Shane to replace Daddy Frank although I'm sure lucusdoofus will heartily disagree.

HokiePoke, you obviously don 't know anybody ....

associated with the Clemson program but if it makes you feel better to spew BS just keep on making a moron of yourself.

Reactions: flyfisher29640

Originally posted by hokiemtc:
Trust me, you don't want Dumbo (he is known in the area as Dumbo) over Beamer or anybody else for that matter. The guy was hired by Tommy B only because of his recruiting credentials, and later promoted to HC so he can keep the recruiting going. He cannot coach the '85 Bears to a win over the 2014 Jaguars. The moment his assistants leave, he is finished. This is according to people who know him pretty well. There are better, much better options out there.
Why would I trust you? You're a random guy (presumably) on an internet message board. This notion that he isn't responsible for running his program is, well, ludicrous. The guy can not only recruit talent to play for him, but he has also surrounded himself with great assistants. Isn't that a big part of running team?

Reactions: 6thDanTKD
The "trick play", as you call it, was a direct snap to the tailback. Isn't EVERY play supposed to trick the opponent?

This post was edited on 1/1 8:53 PM by VATIGER84

Warch film of our losses this past season you might retract that statement .

I have always thought a HC actually does very little coaching on game day. it's the OC and DC who do most of the coaching .

Thanks for the info.

Sometimes it's fun to see how things shake out, lol.

You can't fix stupid.

Reactions: Jokes On You
I'll admit, I was extremely critical of him at the beginning of his career and don't have a problem admitting I was dead wrong. I've also grown to respect him a lot. At first it was a grudging respect, but now it's just plain old admiration. The dude gets it, has done a ton for Clemson in a very short span and, by extension, the ACC brand.

I'll admit, I was extremely critical of him at the beginning of his career and don't have a problem admitting I was dead wrong. I've also grown to respect him a lot. At first it was a grudging respect, but now it's just plain old admiration. The dude gets it, has done a ton for Clemson in a very short span and, by extension, the ACC brand.
Well said Heaks, the man is getting it done in all areas right now. I'll pull for him and Clemson everyday as long as he's beating cheating Nicky Satans butt.

Reactions: 2Paws

You are ignorant. We have one of the very best up and coming coaches paired with one of the best d coordinators in the country. We r 4 and 0 and don't play ball control offense anymore. We actually have a coach that wants to score points and not entirely rely on the defense. Your comments are ignorant. Our head coach is a better coach than swinney. In my opinion but the only way we will know is time.

The post you quoted was from THREE YEARS AGO.

Speaking of ignorant, please feel free to join us here in the real world, dumbass. It's really not such a bad place to be.

Can we all just agree that we are very happy with our current coaching staff. No disrespect to Clemson, they have an excellent staff and team. Their on field results the past 5-6 years prove that.
Hoping for a very competitive game Saturday.

I'm THRILLED with the current staff. For years, this board suffered tremendously under a few apologists (QueenEdRock...yep, I'm talking about you) that assured us in every way possible that if we got rid of our pathetic coaching staff, that the next coaches would be much, much worse and VT would permanently disappear from football relevance forever.

Hmmm...guess what? It didn't work that way at all (to no one's suprise, honestly). I still say that QER WAS Stiney, and no one on this board will ever convince me otherwise. Either that, or QER was sleeping with Stiney. There had to be some reason there that we didn't know about for the nonsense that spewed forth from that hole in his face.

He won the NATTY, and probably should have one two! He may not be the best X's and O's coach but he knows how to run and organize Clemson as a business, and not just on the football field, but in other supporting areas of the Clemson program. He hired Thad Turnipseed (director of recruiting & external affairs) away from Alabama (Saban actually called him begging him not to leave Alabama!) which was a HUGE hire. There is more to a football program than what you see on game day and Dabo gets that. He sees things and potential in people that everyone can do. Sabin is a great X's and O's coach, but Sabin is also a great administrator and looks a a major football program much the way that Dabo does, except Sabin does not have near the personality of Dabo. More schools are looking at this 'business' model approach to a football program and are scrambling to follow suit. Sabin and Dabo just have a head start. I would not be surprised to see VT using this approach too and hiring (and surrounding) its program with these administrators.

I'm THRILLED with the current staff. For years, this board suffered tremendously under a few apologists (QueenEdRock...yep, I'm talking about you) that assured us in every way possible that if we got rid of our pathetic coaching staff, that the next coaches would be much, much worse and VT would permanently disappear from football relevance forever.

Hmmm...guess what? It didn't work that way at all (to no one's suprise, honestly). I still say that QER WAS Stiney, and no one on this board will ever convince me otherwise. Either that, or QER was sleeping with Stiney. There had to be some reason there that we didn't know about for the nonsense that spewed forth from that hole in his face.
Not to excuse Ed, who was a tool most of the time, but I think one of the big reasons some Hokie fans were worried at that time that we could end up with a worse coach is because they were afraid we would make a cheap hire. That worry went away once Whit Babcock came aboard.

He won the NATTY, and probably should have one two! He may not be the best X's and O's coach but he knows how to run and organize Clemson as a business, and not just on the football field, but in other supporting areas of the Clemson program.
This thread was started in 2014 - before Clemson's back-to-back title game appearances.

Dabo's rep at the time was that of a great recruiter who fielded massively talented teams that didn't win important games (like Fedora at UNC). Even so, many of the original responses back then were pretty positive towards his coaching ability.

Of course, fast forward three years...and now the entire thread becomes mostly moot. Winning a national title tends to put an end to such arguments. I think this thread was brought back from the dead because things have changed quite significantly in the last 2 years concerning Dabo's place in the national coaching hierarchy.

Can we all just agree that we are very happy with our current coaching staff. No disrespect to Clemson, they have an excellent staff and team. Their on field results the past 5-6 years prove that.
Hoping for a very competitive game Saturday.

I agree here. If I were you, I wouldn't trade my current staff for Dabo and company either. Is your coach currently better than Dabo? No. Come back after 3 conference championships, a couple of playoff berths, and a NC and we can talk...

But I'd say the same about Dabo vs Saban at Bama. I would not trade Dabo for Saban either. Is Dabo better than Saban. Not even CLOSE. But Dabo is a fit at Clemson just like your coach is a fit for VT. You don't mess with that, b/c success doesn't always transfer.

Coaches aside: I just hope we are competitive in the game. No blowout. That way we stay in the top 20-25. Clemson has nothing to gain from this game. They are as high as they are going to get unless Alabama brain farts a game. So again, hopefully we are competitive so we don't fall too far. I think the game will be interesting and especially how Clemson's strengths line up against our weaknesses and vice versa. If and I mean a big if - we can get into the backfield quick enough and often enough to offset timing then we could make a game of this. Not saying we could win but at least make it close.

Unless Florida state completely fixed their offense with Manute Nole at QB, VT is the toughest game left on Clemson's schedule. FSU is still right there, with NC State a distant third. Clemson's QB has done wonderful things so far, and Clemson's running game has been extremely powerful, but the Tigers are still being bit by the turnover bug. When a team turns the ball over, anything can happen.

I always expect this program to be competitive. The question in my mind is can we win?

Absolutely! And it doesn't have to be the "any given Saturday" argument either. As I said above (or maybe in another thread on this site), Clemson substantially out talents VT across the board with a few exceptions (ESPECIALLY depth wise). All things being equal, I think Clemson wins by 2 scores (9-16 points)

But VT has an Excellent coaching staff and is playing at home on gameday. If Clemson doesn't play well (they bring their B or B- game). VT could easily pull the upset. VT is a GOOD team and is only going to get better in the next couple of years... In other words, not the team you decide to sleep on.

Hmmm, boy were you wrong. Clearly you didn't have a single clue as to what you were talking about. Get ready for "Dumbo" to beat you Saturday...again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT