ADVERTISEMENT

Deberry

blue bomber

Starter
May 23, 2014
Linebacker from Richmond going to Oklahoma. We can't seem to keep any of the best players from our own state at home anymore. Oklahoma, FSU, Penn State, one even to UVa, Clemson, South Carolina, Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame, even Nebraska had the freshman of the year in the Big 10 from Potomac, Arizona State, and Tennessee. We're getting our butts kicked right in our backyard. We can talk about 757 all we want, but we ain't getting them anymore.

Originally posted by blue bomber:
Linebacker from Richmond going to Oklahoma. We can't seem to keep any of the best players from our own state at home anymore. Oklahoma, FSU, Penn State, one even to UVa, Clemson, South Carolina, Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame, even Nebraska had the freshman of the year in the Big 10 from Potomac, Arizona State, and Tennessee. We're getting our butts kicked right in our backyard. We can talk about 757 all we want, but we ain't getting them anymore.
Very true. I've heard for at least a year we had no shot at DeBerry. Well, maybe we'll get Lawson soon.

but vt is getting a large number of out of state kids so i guess kind of evens out plus the whole country knows about 757.

Originally posted by hokiecat168:
but vt is getting a large number of out of state kids so i guess kind of evens out plus the whole country knows about 757.
That's true. We lose out on a lot in the 757 that I wish we wouldn't lose, but quite a few never give us a shot at all.

Makes me wonder what's going on . Why would any player from Virginia go to Okalhoma ? Hope he is never heard from again and rides the bench 4 years.

I'm not just talking how many players. The players we're losing at home are five and four star players, all of which rank in the top 100 players in the country. You can talk about getting players from out of state all you want, but when we get somebody from Florida it's usually after FSU, Florida, or Miami decided they don't want them. We're getting whipped.

Florida recruiting has pretty much always been that way, nothing new there.

DeBerry was never coming to VT. But its still turning into a pretty good year for 4 star players. We already have six Rivals 4 star commits and probably aren't finished. That's about as good or better than we've ever done on 4 star recruits, in state or out.

I'm not just talking how many players. The players we're losing at home are five and four star players, all of which rank in the top 100 players in the country. You can talk about getting players from out of state all you want, but when we get somebody from Florida it's usually after FSU, Florida, or Miami decided they don't want them. We're getting whipped.
How many defensive linemen and linebackers do we put in the NFL. IMO that's a huge factor.

Originally posted by 1bburgfan:
How many defensive linemen and linebackers do we put in the NFL. IMO that's a huge factor.
I bet our ability to coach a player up to the nfl, or (initial recruit rating to eventual nfl potential) ratio is just as high or higher than FSU. They get many more times 5* than we do, yet they have about 5 times the number of nfl players on rosters currently. I think 5 times is low because it seems like they get more than 5 times the number of blue chips we do. I haven't actually kanked the numbers out, just throwing that out there. But perception is everything to recruits who feel that they have more chance to get to the nfl through a major elite power. I disagree with that for two reasons. Competition is higher and they would stand out more at VT, and two, I think a player of any given potential is coached up just as well at VT, some areas even better and others maybe not. Also, type of defense Foster runs probably does play a major factor.

Originally posted by SunnyBeachWave:

I bet our ability to coach a player up to the nfl, or (initial recruit rating to eventual nfl potential) ratio is just as high or higher than FSU. They get many more times 5* than we do, yet they have about 5 times the number of nfl players on rosters currently. I think 5 times is low because it seems like they get more than 5 times the number of blue chips we do. I haven't actually kanked the numbers out, just throwing that out there. But perception is everything to recruits who feel that they have more chance to get to the nfl through a major elite power. I disagree with that for two reasons. Competition is higher and they would stand out more at VT, and two, I think a player of any given potential is coached up just as well at VT, some areas even better and others maybe not. Also, type of defense Foster runs probably does play a major factor.
I agree Sunny, I wager we also get 5 times as many 5* engineering and business recruits. Bud is a great coach, but his defensive scheme does hinder the recruitment of major elite linemen and linebackers. His scheme is why we are known as DBU. I just didn't include that in my post, I didn't want to become an unnamed poster
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 12/20 7:06 PM by 1bburgfan

Originally posted by VTSmitty:
Very true. I've heard for at least a year we had no shot at DeBerry. Well, maybe we'll get Lawson soon.
Lawson will be a VT qb.

Originally posted by SunnyBeachWave:

I agree Sunny, I wager we also get 5 times as many 5* engineering and business recruits. Bud is a great coach, but his defensive scheme does hinder the recruitment of major elite linemen and linebackers. His scheme is why we are known as DBU. I just didn't include that in my post, I didn't want to become an unnamed poster
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 12/20 7:06 PM by 1bburgfan
I think I may have misquoted or the person who wrote the original numbers I read elsewhere was wrong. I just read someone else's post that said we currently have 24 players in the nfl,and FSU has 38. Not sure if that's accurate, but if it is that's pretty damn incredible considering the disparity in incoming high school talent between the two programs. In fact, I'd say that old VT cliche coaching up "diamonds in the rough" is more true today than it's ever been. Now, if we can just figure out why our star players have become so injury prone. Something definitely ain't right there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT