ADVERTISEMENT

Detroit Bowl

Hampton Roads 6

Hokie Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2003
I do not know Bowl Pecking Order for ACC, but why is Detroit Bowl most often mentioned as our destination ? Granted when you are 6-6, you're happy for any bowl you can get, but I think other bowls would like to have VT. i.e. Tire/Muffler Bowl or Music City Bowl.

Military Bowl is the One I think VT will get.....a lot of pull from folks that want VT there..Cincy could be the other team.

For the Military Bowl considering how the AAC is seeding teams and possible three teams will share co-championship (Cincinnati, Memphis, and UCF)(there is no pecking order in the AAC this year so all assume the closest team will be selected for the bowl) it would be either Cincinnati or East Carolina with either UCF or Temple with an outside chance.

On factor will be who the ACC allows to play Miami, as an UCF-Miami matchup is detrimental to South Florida recruiting and Miami Alums will fight against this match up.

Music City out of our reach, just didn't do well enough to get that bowl. Detroit might be the best we can get, but that is sad. Just hope we don't end up in the Duck Commander in Shreveport against UAB, a team that will disband their program the next morning. That would be awful, but espn predicts that.

I would almost rather end up in Shreveport than Detroit. At least going to Shreveport I would get to drive thru Alabama on the way. That would be best part of trip.

Here's how it's shaking out at this point ...

Bowl selection order for the ACC is:

#1 CFP (if ranked #1 to #4)
#2 Orange Bowl
#3 Russell Athletic Bowl
#4 Citrus Bowl (conditional, if Big Ten is selected to play in Orange Bowl)
#5-#8 Music City or Gator (Big Ten to one, ACC to other), Pinstripe, Belk, and Sun
#9-#11 Military, Independence, Detroit
#12 St. Pete (formerly Beef O'Brady's)
#13 Birmingham (conditional)

And here's how the ACC teams plus Notre Dame match up to those "seed numbers":

#1 FSU 12-0 (CFP Rank #4)
#2 Georgia Tech 10-2 (CFP Rank #11)
#3 - #5: Clemson (CFP #19), Louisville (CFP #21), Duke, all 9-3
#6 - #8: Notre Dame, Boston College, NC State, all 7-5
#9 - #12: VT, UNC, Pitt, and Miami, all 6-6

So what this shows is that VT is very clearly on the tier for the Military, Independence or Detroit Bowl.

Originally posted by Jackcrow:

Military Bowl is the One I think VT will get.....a lot of pull from folks that want VT there..Cincy could be the other team.
Best for us as a team and best for our fans and recruiting.

Better destinations, definitely. Im not really fond of the St. Pete game being played in the Tampa Bay Rays baseball stadium. And at least in the Detroit and Shreveport games you get a P5 opponent.

No, those other bowls are not interested. Aren't you packing for Detroit yet. Remember, don't go out at night without at least seven people with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT