ADVERTISEMENT

Does Buzz have Tony's Number?

Sounds good to me. I think the Hoos are over rated to begin with.
You pulled off a big upset, just enjoy it. Come March you can buy a ticket to the Dance or watch from home. Either way UVA will be in and VT will not. I'll take Bennet over Buzz every time....when Buzz has a winning record over Tony then we can discuss who has who's number.

Last edited:
I think both coaches have been doing great, but I believe the author of this article did bring up some valid observations. He certainly did a better job of breaking down some relevant factors in the hoo's loss better than the standard "they played down to their competition" nonsense, which is no assessment at all, by people who don't have a clue of why teams win or lose. I like objective observations.

Its still a little early to to talk about hoo's going to be in the dance. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Maybe Buzz provided the rest of he coaches in the league with a strategy for beating Bennett. Only time will tell.

I think both coaches have been doing great, but I believe the author of this article did bring up some valid observations. He certainly did a better job of breaking down some relevant factors in the hoo's loss better than the standard "they played down to their competition" nonsense, which is no assessment at all, by people who don't have a clue of why teams win or lose. I like objective observations.

Its still a little early to to talk about hoo's going to be in the dance. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Maybe Buzz provided the rest of he coaches in the league with a strategy for beating Bennett. Only time will tell.
Go ahead a mark it down....UVA will be in the dance. The real question is what does Curly's team do after this big upset? Will they build on this win or fall back and finish in the bottom group of the ACC again.

Go ahead a mark it down....UVA will be in the dance. The real question is what does Curly's team do after this big upset? Will they build on this win or fall back and finish in the bottom group of the ACC again.
I think its a bit premature to mark anything down about what either team will do with so much basketball still left to be played. That's why they have the selection committee wait until all the games have been played.

Only time will tell.

That said, Curly says hoo fans should either hope he has a decent ACC showing or hope their hoos don't fall to the bubble with that VT loss on their resume. Yuck yuck...

Reactions: Hoos19NC

Just an observation, and I like UVa basketball and Bennett. The team this year is missing Anderson and Atkins big time. The others may step up and get better and compensate for their loss, but without them the Wahoos look slower than last year. Atkins could slide into center and the team became much quicker and, of course Anderson was a complete game changer. Brogdon and Gill need to take over this team now. Brogdon is one of the most underrated players in the country and he's always been one to look to pass 1st the majority of the time. He can't take enough good shots for them, forget looking for the pass 1st. They'll make the Tourney.

That being said, I like Buzz an awful lot. We may not win many more games, but we're getting better with a patched up lineup. It's all about staying healthy. The ACC is as good top to bottom than I've ever seen it.

Just an observation, and I like UVa basketball and Bennett. The team this year is missing Anderson and Atkins big time. The others may step up and get better and compensate for their loss, but without them the Wahoos look slower than last year. Atkins could slide into center and the team became much quicker and, of course Anderson was a complete game changer. Brogdon and Gill need to take over this team now. Brogdon is one of the most underrated players in the country and he's always been one to look to pass 1st the majority of the time. He can't take enough good shots for them, forget looking for the pass 1st. They'll make the Tourney.

That being said, I like Buzz an awful lot. We may not win many more games, but we're getting better with a patched up lineup. It's all about staying healthy. The ACC is as good top to bottom than I've ever seen it.
This UVA team IMO is not as good as last year but they are deeper. I really believe they finish around 4th in ACC. The exciting thing for UVA is they have a couple of nice recruits red shirting and a top 10 class coming in, the future is bright. This is what VT fans have to look forward to with Curly....

This UVA team IMO is not as good as last year but they are deeper. I really believe they finish around 4th in ACC. The exciting thing for UVA is they have a couple of nice recruits red shirting and a top 10 class coming in, the future is bright. This is what VT fans have to look forward to with Curly....
I didn't notice any depth on the floor for UVA against VT. Eight points off the bench in the box score. VT was easily the deeper team in that game. With respect to the future, Buzz's depth depleted team already beat UVA with his 3 top players sidelined. That says more about what VT fans have to look forward to than speculation about UVA's recruiting class. Your recruiting class may be ranked, but only time will tell when and if they have success. In the meantime Buzz's young group is already making progress. They are only going to get better with their top players returning next year.

I didn't notice any depth on the floor for UVA against VT. Eight points off the bench in the box score. VT was easily the deeper team in that game. With respect to the future, Buzz's depth depleted team already beat UVA with his 3 top players sidelined. That says more about what VT fans have to look forward to than speculation about UVA's recruiting class. Your recruiting class may be ranked, but only time will tell when and if they have success. In the meantime Buzz's young group is already making progress. They are only going to get better with their top players returning next year.
With all do respect Jolly, UVA has more talent on the bench than VT. You guys pulled a major upset but don't start believing VT is the better team. I guess we can look back when March gets here and see which team is better. I have no doubt Buzz will make VT better once the players buy in to Buzz's way. The game Monday was huge for VT but how they respond over the next 4-5 games will tell you a lot about what you have. They could easily go back to losing or they may gain some confidence and win 3-4 of these games. At the same time it is a wake up call for UVA it will be interesting to see how they respond as well.

The season is long and we have some troops that can't play due to health ,etc. This will not bode well down the line for us. UVA has the depth that will be required to stay in the hunt. If Buzz can take this team to the NCAA then I will still believe in miracles but frankly I will be satisfied if we can finish in the middle of the pack. That would be a great improvement.
I will never say anything against the UVA coach from a coaching standpoint or a personal one.. He has done a great job there and appears to be a good person.
Guys we are on our way. We just have to have patience.

The season is long and we have some troops that can't play due to health ,etc. This will not bode well down the line for us. UVA has the depth that will be required to stay in the hunt. If Buzz can take this team to the NCAA then I will still believe in miracles but frankly I will be satisfied if we can finish in the middle of the pack. That would be a great improvement.
I will never say anything against the UVA coach from a coaching standpoint or a personal one.. He has done a great job there and appears to be a good person.
Guys we are on our way. We just have to have patience.
I agree if VT finishes in the middle of the pack and goes to the NIT that would be nice improvement. Don't see them making it to the Dance, but you never know.

With all do respect Jolly, UVA has more talent on the bench than VT. .
Is this a case of the emperor wearing no clothes? On Monday night VT's bench provided 72 minutes, 17 points, 8 rebounds, 9 assists, 5 steals, and 1 block. UVA's bench provided 39 minutes, 8 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, no steals, and 1 block. Plus, VT's bench had only one turnover to UVA's bench's 4 turnovers. VT's bench thrashed UVA's bench in just about every phase of the game. If UVA has all this more depth/talent than VT, wouldn't we be able to see it?

You pulled off a big upset, just enjoy it. Come March you can buy a ticket to the Dance or watch from home. Either way UVA will be in and VT will not. I'll take Bennet over Buzz every time....when Buzz has a winning record over Tony then we can discuss who has who's number.
No, we are the best team and we have the best coach. Also, we have the better looking fans. Facts.

Is this a case of the emperor wearing no clothes? On Monday night VT's bench provided 72 minutes, 17 points, 8 rebounds, 9 assists, 5 steals, and 1 block. UVA's bench provided 39 minutes, 8 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, no steals, and 1 block. Plus, VT's bench had only one turnover to UVA's bench's 4 turnovers. VT's bench thrashed UVA's bench in just about every phase of the game. If UVA has all this more depth/talent than VT, wouldn't we be able to see it?
You are talking about one game......maybe VT has guys on the bench that should be starting? All I can tell you is both teams go about 10 deep and I feel real confident UVA's 10 will win a lot more games than Curlys 10 will win.

th
I will have to admit Marge Perrantes sure can shoot the 3

You are talking about one game......maybe VT has guys on the bench that should be starting?
I'm just saying you haven't backed up your claim that UVA's bench is more talented. It was your claim. And of course, the results of the head to head match up paint a much different picture about that.

At any rate, all our players that came off the bench Monday night were some pretty talented players coming out of HS, and it showed it against UVA's bench. So I think your statement about the bench talent comparison has some problems. And just based on what I saw Monday, it looks to me that UVA could have a depth problem. Good starters, good coach, but not much help from the bench.

That said, we've drifted off topic, it was never about the two benches. UVA has plenty of gas in its tank with its starters. I think VT pulled the upset, because, as the original article I linked pointed out, Buzz is making Tony play Buzz's game. And...that's been pretty much the case each time they've played. This was just the first time Buzz had enough talent to actually close out the deal. I think that coaching aspect is pretty significant - and is why I posted the article. Its the best post game analysis I've seen anyone make about this game.

No....this VT's first time beating UVA in how many years? I mean London played Beamer pretty damn close almost every year....if he had beaten Beamer once would we have said that London had Beamer's number? No, of course not. It's a rivalry game, they are supposed to be competitive.

TB is running a Top 10 program at the moment, we'll be very lucky to make the NIT...lets not get ahead of ourselves fellas. We have a decent coach who hasn't had much to work with of late. Lets see what he can.

Of course at the end of the day I'd like to see VT have a decent program but I hate basketball, pro or college so I don't watch it either way.

Reactions: B1dee and Hoos19NC
I didn't realize our bench did so well against theirs. Man I wish our team was full strength.
You and me both. {Sigh}...maybe next year we will finally slip the curse of the patellas, metatarsals, and "undisclosed medical issues", and perhaps just have to weather a two game appendectomy or two.

We seem to win one game like this every 2-3 years....I mean we've beaten a few (better) Duke and UNC teams over the years and it's never lead to anything. Pardon me if I don't hold off on getting my hopes up. We are still a very mediocre bball team.

You are talking about one game......maybe VT has guys on the bench that should be starting? All I can tell you is both teams go about 10 deep and I feel real confident UVA's 10 will win a lot more games than Curlys 10 will win.
I think this is making too much of a thing about the bench(how deep does Duke or UNC go?), but I still think the difference in this years UVA team and last years team is Anderson and Atkins. If you had that team this year, we may not have won. The deeper a team gets into the season and especially into the playoffs, the less bench they use, unless because of injury. No question the Cavs will get into the Dance unless Brogdon or Gill get injured. We will get better and if we can get some people back, it'll make us more competitive. Really looking forward to watching the team. I think we learned a lot from the WVa game. We learned that you had to work hard all the time. And then UVa basically took WVa apart, so it's weird how some match ups change things.

And the best haircuts,
I'm not going to argue this one....
I think this is making too much of a thing about the bench(how deep does Duke or UNC go?), but I still think the difference in this years UVA team and last years team is Anderson and Atkins. If you had that team this year, we may not have won. The deeper a team gets into the season and especially into the playoffs, the less bench they use, unless because of injury. No question the Cavs will get into the Dance unless Brogdon or Gill get injured. We will get better and if we can get some people back, it'll make us more competitive. Really looking forward to watching the team. I think we learned a lot from the WVa game. We learned that you had to work hard all the time. And then UVa basically took WVa apart, so it's weird how some match ups change things.
I agree match ups have a lot to do with how a team will perform. As for WVU, we slowed them down and took away the fast break points. This frustrated them into taking bad shots and resulted in a UVA win. Our pace of play didn't bother VT and Curly had a real nice game plan to slow down Gill with the double team. VT also shot well from 3 point land which is poison for the pack line defense. The biggest issue for UVA was they didn't shoot well except for London's run and the the turnovers were out of character for us. All in all UVA played poorly and VT played great, my hates off to Curly and the boys.

Reactions: Salemite
That a 1-4 record can lead to a thread like this is telling. If buzz has tony's number, he should call him up and get some recruiting advice. Better get some for Bud, too.

The point of the article is not about the record (actually 1-2 since Buzz has been at VT), or recruits though. Its about how Buzz controls the game, and its a pretty good breakdown of how he coached to pull the upset. Its a coaching article, for people interested in basketball and the in-game coaching aspect. It has nothing to do with the superiority of the hoos or the futility of the Hokies, or how the season is going to play out for either team. Just about Buzz v Tony at game time.

But as far as recruiting Buzz is doing great, very much holding his own. He's bringing in exactly the kind of players he wants.

Reactions: B1dee
The point of the article is not about the record (actually 1-2 since Buzz has been at VT), or recruits though. Its about how Buzz controls the game, and its a pretty good breakdown of how he coached to pull the upset. Its a coaching article, for people interested in basketball and the in-game coaching aspect. It has nothing to do with the superiority of the hoos or the futility of the Hokies, or how the season is going to play out for either team. Just about Buzz v Tony at game time.

But as far as recruiting Buzz is doing great, very much holding his own. He's bringing in exactly the kind of players he wants.
I agree that Curly has played Tony close and won the last outing but as you stated Curly is 1-4 against Tony so I believe it will take more than one upset to say he has Tony's number. If Tony continues to go 4-1 every 5 times he plays Curly......I can live with that. If that's having Tony's number then so be it....

I agree that Curly has played Tony close and won the last outing but as you stated Curly is 1-4 against Tony so I believe it will take more than one upset to say he has Tony's number. If Tony continues to go 4-1 every 5 times he plays Curly......I can live with that. If that's having Tony's number then so be it....
Or...it could be that Buzz is improving the program enough now to where he's starting to change the trend. Only time will tell, but I'm happy with the improvement so far.

BTW I didn't say Buzz is 1-4 against Bennett, the article only references the 3 games Buzz has coached against UVA as VT's coach. I don't know where the other 2 games are coming from.

Last edited:

Look...all that matters at the end of the day is W/L. We here at Hokiehaven love to bash our UVA faithful on the fact that we have beaten them for a very long time, we don't discuss the in's and out's of what they are doing well. I don't freakin care if we lose to UVA by 6 points, we lost, end of story....and it's not like we are putting out a competitive team for the other 30 something games we play. We aren't a good basketball team, last year or this year. We have a coach who has a history of winning, cool, but I'll be excited when we actually start winning! It's extremely hypocritical to even put ourselves in the same conversation with UVA/TB basketball when we spend the entire football season ragging on UVA for comparing themselves to us. They are 10 times the BB program that we are....we've never had a BB team remotely close to what they are putting out.

I want VT to get a decent BB team, but at this point our BB team is less relevant than UVA FB....that's fact. Win some games and we can talk. We sound desperate.

Look...all that matters at the end of the day is W/L. We here at Hokiehaven love to bash our UVA faithful on the fact that we have beaten them for a very long time, we don't discuss the in's and out's of what they are doing well. I don't freakin care if we lose to UVA by 6 points, we lost, end of story....and it's not like we are putting out a competitive team for the other 30 something games we play. We aren't a good basketball team, last year or this year. We have a coach who has a history of winning, cool, but I'll be excited when we actually start winning! It's extremely hypocritical to even put ourselves in the same conversation with UVA/TB basketball when we spend the entire football season ragging on UVA for comparing themselves to us. They are 10 times the BB program that we are....we've never had a BB team remotely close to what they are putting out.

I want VT to get a decent BB team, but at this point our BB team is less relevant than UVA FB....that's fact. Win some games and we can talk. We sound desperate.
Well said VTHokie1001K.....

Reactions: VTHokie1001K
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT