ADVERTISEMENT

Does Buzz have Tony's Number?

Well said VTHokie1001K.....

Thanks Hoo....but from the silence of my Hokie brethren I feel like I must be in the minority. I love our board, mostly because we allow posters from other schools to come on and contribute. I'm encouraged by the support for our BB team, I think it's pretty obvious we are ina better place under Buzz than we ever were under JJ, but lets not get too crazy. We are a bad BB team, that's a fact. We beat a good team once every 3 years....that's like once every 90 games. DO NOT try to compare us to UVA BB, they are so much better than use it's crazy. Cool your jets people.

Look...all that matters at the end of the day is W/L. We here at Hokiehaven love to bash our UVA faithful on the fact that we have beaten them for a very long time, we don't discuss the in's and out's of what they are doing well. I don't freakin care if we lose to UVA by 6 points, we lost, end of story....and it's not like we are putting out a competitive team for the other 30 something games we play. We aren't a good basketball team, last year or this year. We have a coach who has a history of winning, cool, but I'll be excited when we actually start winning! It's extremely hypocritical to even put ourselves in the same conversation with UVA/TB basketball when we spend the entire football season ragging on UVA for comparing themselves to us. They are 10 times the BB program that we are....we've never had a BB team remotely close to what they are putting out.

I want VT to get a decent BB team, but at this point our BB team is less relevant than UVA FB....that's fact. Win some games and we can talk. We sound desperate.
I'll agree to disagree with you. Its fine that nothing but W-L matters to you. You said that you don't watch the games or like basketball, and I get that. But do you mind if those of us who do care and understand basketball discuss an insightful article? Its about coaching - not UVA vs VT. You are making it into something not intended. The people who have taken the time to read this article and do like basketball may appreciate what the writer is pointing out. I did, so I shared it with the board, and for my part, I've stayed pretty objective to the comments. Nothing remotely "desperate".

I'll agree to disagree with you. Its fine that nothing but W-L matters to you. You said that you don't watch the games or like basketball, and I get that. But do you mind if those of us who do care and understand basketball discuss an insightful article? Its about coaching - not UVA vs VT. You are making it into something not intended. The people who have taken the time to read this article and do like basketball may appreciate what the writer is pointing out. I did, so I shared it with the board, and for my part, I've stayed pretty objective to the comments. Nothing remotely "desperate".
I am glad you posted the link to the article. It was a good read wether I agree with the author or not. I do believe having Curly is a great move for VT, I just have to see VT compete for the ACC title before I buy into him being all that some believe he is. Maybe Curly can get VT to that level, time will tell.

I am glad you posted the link to the article. It was a good read wether I agree with the author or not. I do believe having Curly is a great move for VT, I just have to see VT compete for the ACC title before I buy into him being all that some believe he is. Maybe Curly can get VT to that level, time will tell.
I think the thing with Buzz isn't about winning an ACC title at all. Its about establishing a winning culture at VT. He's taking over a program with a fan base that became apathetic from losing because the administration had stopped doing the things it takes to achieve excellence in the basketball program, and it all sank to rock bottom. Building a new culture for winning is the way I'm going to judge his performance when he leaves, not on ACC titles, but on whether or not he makes our fans excited for basketball once again. And he'll do that by putting a competitive product on the floor that people want to come see again. One that competes regularly the way they competed Monday night, and goes to the NCAA more than once a decade. Something that hasn't been at VT since Charlie Moir, when the last true winning basketball culture was at VT.

I think the thing with Buzz isn't about winning an ACC title at all. Its about establishing a winning culture at VT. He's taking over a program with a fan base that became apathetic from losing because the administration had stopped doing the things it takes to achieve excellence in the basketball program, and it all sank to rock bottom. Building a new culture for winning is the way I'm going to judge his performance when he leaves, not on ACC titles, but on whether or not he makes our fans excited for basketball once again. And he'll do that by putting a competitive product on the floor that people want to come see again. One that competes regularly the way they competed Monday night, and goes to the NCAA more than once a decade. Something that hasn't been at VT since Charlie Moir, when the last true winning basketball culture was at VT.
Well said Jolly, I believe Curly can and will get VT to the level you are saying and maybe he sets VT up to be a place top coaches would like to come. Being in the ACC always makes any coaching job look good and I believe Curly took the VT job because he wanted to coach in a top basketball conference.

Reactions: mrjolly01

Of course I want to see people like yourself who follow basketball discuss these articles, I want to learn something from people like yourself. I appreciate you sharing an article and when I say we sound desperate I don't mean ALL of use. But I've read the article and I've read your posts on this thread and I still feel the same away about the state of our program. I feel like my point still stands, we bust UVA fan's chops on giving our football program a run for their money and give their coaches zero credit for losing a couple of close ones. I made a point of mentioning that this was Buzz's first win over UVA. That is where I drew the comparison to London, he was just fired and always played us close. Is that a good comparison of where the UVA program was? Playing us close? No it wasn't. Just like VT playing UVA close isn't a good draw point of where our program is. As I stated previously we beat a top 25 team every 3 years or so, and our program hasn't progressed.

My whole point is, we come across as hypocritical for cheering our coach for keepin a series (close) when UVA owns us....they do. They are a vastly superior program than ours, and for anyone trying to argue that, well I'm sorry that's wrong. I think we are headed in the right direction but we are very far away from competing with UVA in basketball. I guess all I want to say is we can't have it both ways if we want to be an objective message board, which I think we are. Please though, I mean this genuinely, keep contributing things like this. Great contribution and (hopefully) leads to good discussions.

Last edited:
In most current history, we own UVA in football, baseball and basketball.

And they own a few NC in those regards. Lets stop with this bullcrap. You may be happy with beating them in the regular season but when they win a NC in a sport I feel like we lose all credit in talking crap about beating them in the regular season.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Of course I want to see people like yourself who follow basketball discuss these articles, I want to learn something from people like yourself. I appreciate you sharing an article and when I say we sound desperate I don't mean ALL of use. But I've read the article and I've read your posts on this thread and I still feel the same away about the state of our program. I feel like my point still stands, we bust UVA fan's chops on giving our football program a run for their money and give their coaches zero credit for losing a couple of close ones. I made a point of mentioning that this was Buzz's first win over UVA. That is where I drew the comparison to London, he was just fired and always played us close. Is that a good comparison of where the UVA program was? Playing us close? No it wasn't. Just like VT playing UVA close isn't a good draw point of where our program is. As I stated previously we beat a top 25 team every 3 years or so, and our program hasn't progressed.

My whole point is, we come across as hypocritical for cheering our coach for keepin a series (close) when UVA owns us....they do. They are a vastly superior program than ours, and for anyone trying to argue that, well I'm sorry that's wrong. I think we are headed in the right direction but we are very far away from competing with UVA in basketball. I guess all I want to say is we can't have it both ways if we want to be an objective message board, which I think we are. Please though, I mean this genuinely, keep contributing things like this. Great contribution and (hopefully) leads to good discussions.
We're all good 1001K. I respect your opinions like of all the regular posters on this board and am fine when we disagree occasionally like on this one. The interpretation of what I was trying to zero in on did kind of go in some directions I didn't intend and that's why I tried to pull it back on topic. So I can understand your concern too, and you can be assured I'm pretty well grounded in where their program is compared to ours. Thanks.

Reactions: VTHokie1001K
We're all good 1001K. I respect your opinions like of all the regular posters on this board and am fine when we disagree occasionally like on this one. The interpretation of what I was trying to zero in on did kind of go in some directions I didn't intend and that's why I tried to pull it back on topic. So I can understand your concern too, and you can be assured I'm pretty well grounded in where their program is compared to ours. Thanks.
I apologize, I didn't mean to make an argument (which you haven't done). I guess I'm just in the wait and see mode...............BW def is putting us in a better position though. Thanks for posting this though!

Reactions: mrjolly01

Anyone here remember seeing the "Henson Heave"

He was one of my favorite Hokie basketball players.

Reactions: Salemite
Anyone here remember seeing the "Henson Heave"

He was one of my favorite Hokie basketball players.
yes I remember it well, those was some good days of basketball in the old Metro. As for UVA owning us in basketball its 14-9 since we joined the ACC, not exactly owning . VA4VT were you a member of the B-burg 89's championship team?

Thanks Hoo....but from the silence of my Hokie brethren I feel like I must be in the minority. I love our board, mostly because we allow posters from other schools to come on and contribute. I'm encouraged by the support for our BB team, I think it's pretty obvious we are ina better place under Buzz than we ever were under JJ, but lets not get too crazy. We are a bad BB team, that's a fact. We beat a good team once every 3 years....that's like once every 90 games. DO NOT try to compare us to UVA BB, they are so much better than use it's crazy. Cool your jets people.
I don't think the original article said we were a better team, just that Buzz has outcoached Bennett the last 3 times they have met.

We all know that we don't have the horses yet to be a top 25 program, but we do already have top 25 coaching in place, which is what the article was highlighting.

When those players come - and they will...we're going to be pretty good. Heck, on certain nights, we're already pretty good, and that's while playing with a MASH unit roster of overlooked players.

I don't think the original article said we were a better team, just that Buzz has outcoached Bennett the last 3 times they have met.

We all know that we don't have the horses yet to be a top 25 program, but we do already have top 25 coaching in place, which is what the article was highlighting.

When those players come - and they will...we're going to be pretty good. Heck, on certain nights, we're already pretty good, and that's while playing with a MASH unit roster of overlooked players.
That's a real good post. That MASH unit does have some talent on it particularly with some players we just added this year. Robinson and Blackshear were top 100 recruits and 4 star rated on some of the major scouting services, Robinson a Maryland HS POY, one service had Blackshear the 2nd rated PF in Florida. Allen we all knew could play coming from UMD, and pretty much everybody had undervalued LeDay. But all 4 players are making major contributions and came up big in the UVA upset. LeDay about willed us to that win. I'm becoming a big fan of that kid. I have to agree when we think of Hill, Clarke and maybe Outlaw coming back and playing with them you really can't help but like what Buzz is putting together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT