ADVERTISEMENT

Early ACC predictions for next season?

one man

All-Conference
Dec 8, 2002
With FSU having lost three underclassmen and could likely lose two more, that team will likely lose it's strangle hold on the conference next year. They had Jameis to save them multiple times, with him gone they'll have to find a new identity on offense. Taking an early look at what teams bring back, though most teams still don't know as underclass declarations will keep coming over the next few weeks, I would not be surprised if the Coastal comes down to the Techs as it always seems to. Duke will have something to say about it but I've got my money on VT or GT with all both teams return. The Atlantic will be very interesting. Spring practice in Tallahassee will be as intriguing as I can remember. They've got loads of 4 and 5 stars on the roster but they are all unproven at this level, 4 new OL, new QB, at least 5 new starters on defense, likely more. Clemson loses a lot on defense but they might have the best returning QB in the conference with Watson and that counts for a lot. They've had good defensive recruiting recently, will be interesting to see how their new faces on defense come together. I still can't see NCSU, Wake, or Cuse being able to challenge FSU, 'Ville or Clem but BC may be able to pull an upset over one of the top 3 in that division. It's really really early but I like VT's chances next year to get back to 10 wins and possibly the ACC title game. After FSU domination the past two years, looks like the ACC wheel of destiny will be back in effect this fall. Anyone else have early thoughts about next season?

This post was edited on 1/7 11:48 AM by one man

Originally posted by one man:
With FSU having lost three underclassmen and could likely lose two more, that team will likely lose it's strangle hold on the conference next year. They had Jameis to save them multiple times, with him gone they'll have to find a new identity on offense. Taking an early look at what teams bring back, though most teams still don't know as underclass declarations will keep coming over the next few weeks, I would not be surprised if the Coastal comes down to the Techs as it always seems to. Duke will have something to say about it but I've got my money on VT or GT with all both teams return. The Atlantic will be very interesting. Spring practice in Tallahassee will be as intriguing as I can remember. They've got loads of 4 and 5 stars on the roster but they are all unproven at this level, 4 new OL, new QB, at least 5 new starters on defense, likely more. Clemson loses a lot on defense but they might have the best returning QB in the conference with Watson and that counts for a lot. They've had good defensive recruiting recently, will be interesting to see how their new faces on defense come together. I still can't see NCSU, Wake, or Cuse being able to challenge FSU, 'Ville or Clem but BC may be able to pull an upset over one of the top 3 in that division. It's really really early but I like VT's chances next year to get back to 10 wins and possibly the ACC title game. After FSU domination the past two years, looks like the ACC wheel of destiny will be back in effect this fall. Anyone else have early thoughts about next season?

This post was edited on 1/7 11:48 AM by one man
I think Duke's losing more than you imply and will probably be a different team next year.

Watson is that good and they should challenge FSU next year.

VT "should" be better next year, but I'll wait until I see it to believe it.

Clemson will be my favorite in their division but I never count FSU out . I also believe that NCS is a comer but they may not be quite there.
GT should be the sole favorite in our division. Barring the emergence of a few ace Olinemen ,we will be better but I doubt that we could challenge for the divisional title. We hae a long ways to go.

This post was edited on 1/7 1:08 PM by leeanderthal

Clemson, FSU, and Louisville are the favorites in the Atlantic and GT is the favorite in the Coastal.

VT will win 8 games next year. Look at the VT QB situation - it is not good enough for 10 wins.

Originally posted by vtpmt81:

Clemson, FSU, and Louisville are the favorites in the Atlantic and GT is the favorite in the Coastal.

VT will win 8 games next year. Look at the VT QB situation - it is not good enough for 10 wins.
Agree on 8 wins but disagree on it being on the QB situation. Brewer is good enough to win 10 games, especially with Hodges, Ford, Phillips, and Malleck. - I think it comes down to the OLine playing better.

Aside from Brewer's interception spree in mid-season and the lack of a running game during that stretch, even Jameis Winston probably would have been a 7 win QB with our line and RB injuries.

I think GT and Clemson......Brewer is just not consistent enough to lead VT to a big season. If VT can establish a consistent running game maybe, but if it falls on Brewer again VT wins 7-8 games. Looking at the schedule I see 3 guaranteed wins....Furman, Purdue, UVA.....2 guaranteed loses.....GT, OSU.....and 7 that can go either way.....ECU, Duke, Miami, UNC, NC St., BC, Pitt......

You guys have no faith

VT lost 6 games, outside of the Miami game they had opportunities to win every other game they lost. It's not like they were getting blown out in most of those losses. Returning more starters than any team in the conference, what 8 on defense, 9 on offense. Your QB got valuable experience this year, both he and the OL will be in their 2nd year with their position coaches, how can VT possibly only get 1 more win than this past year with all those factors in their favor. It's not like the conference is going to be waayyy better. The top team, FSU loses it's game changing QB, Clemson loses half of their starting defense that was the best in the league. I guess you guys know something that I don't. I can't see how all these factors add up to VT going from 7-6 to what 7-5 or 8-4? If guys stay healthy this offseason and the OL makes some progress, the Hokies should be labeled a contender to win the league. Foster gives Paul Johnson fits like PJ gives everyone else. If anybody can beat GT, it's the Hokies. You don't have FSU, Clemson or Lville on schedule. If Brewer was good enough to beat Ohio State, who I remind you is playing for the NC next week, then he is good enough to win 10 games. Say what you want about OSU QB situation but the VT offense scored 28 points that night, how much did Alabama just score on that defense....oh alright then. I get it, the lack of consistency from players to coaches in the past few years has the fanbase looking at the team in a different light but you guys have to be crazy to think the potential in what VT should put on the field next year isn't capable of winning at least the division and possibly the league.

Re: You guys have no faith

Until VT gets a QB that can throw the long ball and SEE down the field, their Offense will not be a threat to any Defense. Brewer doesn't have the arm, this year , next year or the year after....And our OC doesn't show signs of using anyone else. Called Hard Headed...And Head Coach that has been lost in the Times .
Change makes Change ...

I agree with one man's post above. With our returning players, key will be staying healthy. If we stay healthy, I see no reason why we can't win 11 or 12 games. As for QB, key will be play calling and pass routes. Brewer can throw down field I'd right plays are called.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:
I agree with one man's post above. With our returning players, key will be staying healthy. If we stay healthy, I see no reason why we can't win 11 or 12 games. As for QB, key will be play calling and pass routes. Brewer can throw down field I'd right plays are called.
Like I said in another post 9 wins would be cause for a parade, 8 wins would create a lot of chest bumping and is doable but not likely,7 wins is more likely and not good enough.
Bare in mind,our schedule this year is a lot tougher than it was last year.
Samo samo. QB OLine and RB. Of the three the RB shpuld be ok but we still have the QB and OLine problems.

Even if our QB can throw long we don't have a WR to throw to.

Originally posted by leeanderthal:

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:
Like I said in another post 9 wins would be cause for a parade, 8 wins would create a lot of chest bumping and is doable but not likely,7 wins is more likely and not good enough.
Bare in mind,our schedule this year is a lot tougher than it was last year.
Samo samo. QB OLine and RB. Of the three the RB shpuld be ok but we still have the QB and OLine problems.

Even if our QB can throw long we don't have a WR to throw to.
I could be wrong but it looks to me like many of the top 15 offenses in the country lack a single receiver as good as several we have, Hodges/Ford/Phillips. It appears that coaching and preparation, including pass play design and execution, are more important, unless we're talking about a Sammy Watkins type kid. Some of these offenses don't even have a 4 star kid on the roster. Even Baylor and ASU don't have more talent than we do overall.

There has to be a qb on our roster at this point who can jack things up. Brewer is a tough kid, but average football player imo.

Im concerned with the rb position which I'm sure you saw on the other forum.

I'll believe the oline is 'fixed' when we start a season and stay consistent throughout. Until then, I'm going to worry about it almost as if it has become a curse.

If we can keep half of our running backs healthy, that should be worth a few wins,

Georgia Tech likely or VT vs Clemson likely or FSU in my opinion

GT and Clemson are loaded and EVEN with the losses FSU sustained with underclassmen, their talent is completely off the charts and they have talent and depth at every position due to top 5 recruiting classes occurring regularly. I think the media will pick......along with the preseason magazines as Georgia Tech vs Clemson with Virginia Tech challenging close in the Coastal and FSU challenging close in the Atlantic. Surprise teams will be Boston College and Pittsburgh (Both will be good) and Duke will also surprise many in the ACC because even though they lose half of their starters, you will see the quality of Coach Cutcliffe is by having a very competitive team and a program that is no longer recruiting outside of the top 100 or top 80 like the Duke of old. They have actually become a top 50ish recruiting program the last 3-4 years. For me...it's Georgia Tech in the Coastal (tons of starters back and talent and the QB is special) and Clemson and FSU a toss up.

Re: Georgia Tech likely or VT vs Clemson likely or FSU in my opinion

If BC and Pitt challenge for anything, the ACC is hurting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT