ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN reports Fuentes to VT and Foster to stay

Fuentes makes the most of what kids he has. Look at his recruiting classes in 2013, 14 and 15, they are 90% 2 star players. And they put up a lot of points and often beat bigger programs last year and this year. Like Urban Myer when he was at Utah.

Reactions: salemfan32
On the surface, Fuente's overall record doesn't look like much, but when you look a little deeper into things, he took a program left for dead with not much talent and posted some very impressive wins in a short amount of time with it.

If he can do the same here, we're in business.

IMO, this was the best case scenerio to happen.
That's yet to be determined. More times than not, retaining coaches from prior regimes has failed a lot more often than it was worked. You can't have divided loyalties in the locker room, and if Foster and Fuentes are both standing there in front of the team, then who exactly does the team belong to? If the answer to that question is Bud, then we are going to have major problems.

Personally, I don't see this arrangement working, but we'll see. Up front, though, I think Whit blew this one.

On the surface, Fuente's overall record doesn't look like much, but when you look a little deeper into things, he took a program left for dead with not much talent and posted some very impressive wins in a short amount of time with it.

If he can do the same here, we're in business.
Of all the people, we know that it takes a new coach a couple a seasons to build a program that has been left of dead. It took Frank 5-6 years to do that. Memphis was like that too and it took their coach 4 years to build it up.I am sure his record will get better if he stays there. It is the same situation for SMU this year. It will take Chad Morris a couple of years to build that up if he decides to stay there, but I have a feeling that folks know how good he is so he will likely be gone before that.

That's yet to be determined. More times than not, retaining coaches from prior regimes has failed a lot more often than it was worked. You can't have divided loyalties in the locker room, and if Foster and Fuentes are both standing there in front of the team, then who exactly does the team belong to? If the answer to that question is Bud, then we are going to have major problems.

Personally, I don't see this arrangement working, but we'll see. Up front, though, I think Whit blew this one.

Of course it's yet to be determined. He qualified that by stating it was his opinion. And "blew this one?" Jesus, you are known for catastrophic hyperbole, but really? This is a slam dunk hire and if Bud had issues of ego I don't think he'd be staying in the first place. If it doesn't work out, he moves on and we pay top dollar for a new DC. Big whoop. This team's success will hinge more on Fuente's offense than Bud's defense anyway.

You must be joking right? I think the only way he blows this is by keeping too many of the current staff. I think the whole offensive staff should be gone. Keeping Shane is a bunch of crap. He hasn't proven to be capable of coaching anything since he's been here, and couldn't even see TMac was our best back until (per Bitter) the masses were complaining about it.

I don't think Foster will interfere with the HC duties. That's pretty clear, since Stiney is still breathing.

I don't think Foster will interfere with the HC duties. That's pretty clear, since Stiney is still breathing.[/QUOTE]
God I hope Lefty and Stiney are the first ones to walk. If either one stays then I am going to be really depressed.

I think the only way he blows this is by keeping too many of the current staff.
That's exactly what I said, and it sounds like that's exactly what is getting ready to happen.

Like I also said, we'll see how it goes. Things might click and everyone gels just fine and none of this means anything. I was just pointing out that it usually doesn't work itself out like that. I'll be happy if this turns out to be an exception to the rule, though.

This is a slam dunk hire and if Bud had issues of ego I don't think he'd be staying in the first place.
Do you really think Bud would be calling other schools and asking to interview with them if he was happy about what's getting ready to happen? What has happened exactly that has led you to believe that Bud wants to hang around for the next HC at all?

C'mon, Heaks...open your eyes and look around, dude. The signs are already there...and they're not anything I'm just making up.

From what I've heard from Memphis fans...their current DC has been there for a while and they think there is a very good chance that he takes over HC duties...if that's the case then it makes perfect sense for VT to retain Coach Foster. Let's hold off on the doom and gloom and enjoy today's win, our 12th in a row over UVA, extending our bowl streak to 23 and being excited on hiring one of the premier up and coming coaches.

First of all, until Whit says it's so it ain't so. He did say that it was not a done deal right after the game. Secondly Bud Foster is one of the best team players that ever lived . Anyone who could put up with the OC's we've had and reamain loyal is O K in my book. Also if Bud wanted to leave he could leave at any damn time he wants to. I do believe that Fuentes is our new coach and that Bud will stay and any speculation as to whether or not this will work is a crock of Ka Ka.

Bud Foster will be fine if he can run his own D and he will. As it is, his depth chart looks real good with what's coming back next year and adding Tim Settle into the mix.

With all our RB coming back next year I hope Foster takes Edmunds back to play LB intead of riding the pine on O.

Also, Fuentes has got plenty to work with on O, he ain't rebuilding, he's building. Just calling the right plays to keep the other D off balance is all we needed this year but Lefty didn't have a clue.

With all of the espn confirmation rumors, if Fuentes will be the next HC, Whit should go ahead and announce the Hire officially rather than playing, 'simon says!' We need to strengthen our recruiting class now, not games Whit!

Oh, with the Christmas season upon us, 'Twelve in a row' sounds pretty appropriate and darn good.

With all of the espn confirmation rumors, if Fuentes will be the next HC, Whit should go ahead and announce the Hire officially rather than playing, 'simon says!' We need to strengthen our recruiting class now, not games Whit!

Give it a day or two...as Coach Foster said...today is CFB's day...let's not turn into any more of a media circus as it already was. No reason to announce it today....announce it Monday.

But, since it has been announced by ESPN and likely every HS kid remotely interested in VT heard it, seems like it's jerking them around like a yo-yo...

But, since it has been announced by ESPN and likely every HS kid remotely interested in VT heard it, seems like it's jerking them around like a yo-yo...
I suspect Memphis was really embarrassed that it got out during their game and not after. That's why everyone back pedaled, I'm sure it's done but the timing was horrible for Memphis.

Reactions: VTHokie1001K

I understand what you're saying....but I think this is something that was leaked prematurely and they want the HC's to get the chance to talk to their players about it...especially the Memphis kids....lets wait a few days.

I think VT is gettng an excellent coach.

Congrats.

Hey Heel...not gonna lie...I'm not a fan of your program...at all...in fact I think you guys are pretty shady...but that's not your fault as a fan, you're just a fan. And for the most part you've been a pretty cool guy on our board. One thing that's nice about our board is that we allow some friendly smack talk from our opposing fans. Wish I could say the same for yours, but your mods are total douchebages....but I digress and that's besides the point.

Thanks for coming over here with well wishes, for YOUR sake I hope you do well....but I'll find it hard to cheer for UNC in general, I'm just a random internet poster so I'm sure you won't mind me hoping you get your butts wiped. But thanks for posting, you've been a good dude.

Do you really think Bud would be calling other schools and asking to interview with them if he was happy about what's getting ready to happen? What has happened exactly that has led you to believe that Bud wants to hang around for the next HC at all?

C'mon, Heaks...open your eyes and look around, dude. The signs are already there...and they're not anything I'm just making up.

If you're asking me would Bud Foster prefer a high profile HC position at a power 5 school to being a subordinate coach at VT, then the answer is a resounding yes. That's why he's sending out feelers -- not simply because he's unhappy. He's turned down some very nice offers from both TAMU and UGa to be defensive coordinator (even rumored to have spurned Spurrier at both UofF and USC-e), and it would not be hard for him to find a more profitable job as a defensive coordinator elsewhere as recent history supports.

If Bud wants to go, he'll go. If he wants to stay, he'll stay. Either way, I'm not wringing my hands over it like it's some catastrophe.

That ESPN reporter was just looking out for himself leaking out the news and it's an embarrassment for all involved. I would expect no official confirmation from either school for a while until Fuentes can talk to his team.

We will all see if Memphis will allow him to remain and coach his team for their bowl game.

Deal has to be signed b4 you start announcing. That should be done today . The original leak on this thing is living proof that not all people have common decency.

It's ironic that Fuentes last game before going to the Hokies, was coaching the University of Memphis, and his first (real) game coaching the Hokies will be against the University of Tennessee.

Hope Fuente keeps Zohn Burden on staff but he probably wont, he brought a pretty good WR coach with him to Memphis so Im guessing he brings him to VT as well. Burden has only been here a short time and has done pretty good recruiting WRs despite a lame assBeamer/Loeffler system. Recruitng for a better offense, I think this guy could hit homeruns on the recruiting trail especially in the tidewater area. I would hate to see him land at MD, UVA or UNC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT