ADVERTISEMENT

Farrell Nails it

Hokie2Hoya

All-American
Mar 25, 2008
New Hampshire
"The Hokies don't currently have any of the state of Virginia's top 10 committed for 2016 and landed only two in 2015 and 2014 respectively. And when local stars such as Jonathan Allen, Josh Sweat, Derrick Green, Da'Shawn Hand, Jalyn Holmes, Derrick Nnadi and Levonta Taylor keep getting away, it's a perception problem that carries over. Heck, UVa has had more big-time in-state commits over the last few years than the Hokies and it is 11-26 in its last 37 games. Something needs to change, either the approach or perhaps new blood. Now prove to me I'm wrong."​

Since 2008 when we lost out on all of the top QB's in the state of VA I've stated that VT recruiting simply isn't good. I try to be circumspect about it because I don't know all of the reasons why recruiting has taken a nose dive, but it has... big time. We find ourselves in the company of Houston, Wake Forest, and Miss St. We also find ourselves in the company of Nebraska which is probably something Beamer never could have imagined he would see in his life-time.

VT doesn't have a scheme problem. VT simply does not have the athletic and physical talent that play callers can take advantage, which in turn makes the play calling look good. A lot of the success on the field is about putting the best players in a position to make things happen.

The last two years were a step in the right direction, but we probably have 4 solid contributors in this class. That's to my chagrin because really only 2 would have seen the field between 1995 and 2008.

That fact that for almost a decade we have missed on the big time recruits in our state is absolutely infuriating. The fact that we might pick up only 1 top 10 recruit in the state of VA over two years is mind-boggling.

The facilities are fabulous. The school support is in the top tier. The schedule is great. The position coaching is very good (NFL scouts like our coaches!!). Is what's missing perception? Buzz? People say Beamer's age is used against him, but recruiting has been down for almost 10 years. Why can't we convince any of best recruits to stay and play for their home state? What were we able to do with Tyrod?

Reactions: Travishicks225
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.