ADVERTISEMENT

Fewer overrated SEC teams in next week's top 5...

I stayed up late jumping back/forth between BYU/UCLA and Ole Miss/Bama game. Perhaps I was drowsy by that point, but when Ole Miss had ball on Bama 29/30 w 6 pt lead and 1+ min left in game, Ole Miss went for.didn't make 4th & 1 play. While Ole Miss was debating FG try or going for the 1 yard, ESPN commentator said that FG wouldn't really wouldn't help Ole Miss if the made it, that they should try to put punt inside 10 yd line....

Did anyone else watch that game? Was I dozing or did commentator really say that increasing Ole Miss' lead from 6 -> 9 points would not benefit them? Does the SEC have a 3-4 pt after TD conversion?

SEC teams are going to beat up each other in conference play. Where as the Little 10 will probably only have 2 teams with a winning record at end of season.

Reactions: Salemite
If you're a deserving #2 team, then you shouldn't be getting beat up by anyone that's not ranked #1.

If Big 10 PAC 10 and Big 12 played the teams SEC schools play, then they would all have at least 3 losses by season's end. There are probably 4 SEC schools better than anything Big 10 has to offer.

When a SEC team loses to another SEC team it shouldn't even count as a loss. Therefore, any SEC team that is undefeated out of conference should automatically qualify for the playoffs. In fact, thr SEC should separate from college football and be a division in the NFL. An SEC team would probably win the Super Bowl at least every three years if not every other year. Isn't that right HR6?

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
Again I ask, why the hell do you care what the SEC does? Worry about the ACC. Don't let the trees block out the forest.

Again I ask...
When was the first time you asked? And what do we talk about if we're only talking about the ACC? Clemson and Florida State both looking like crap on national TV? GT, Pitt, Louisville, BC and Duke all losing? Wake, Cuse and UVa losing in every way except on the scoreboard against bad opponents? Miami blowing a monstrous lead in the last 9 minutes?

UNC looked good (for a change) against a mediocre opponent, so maybe we can just talk about them this week.

...good news! Although they should not have been in there to begin with.

Curious. I read many SEC centered posts on message boards across the country. This includes the Pac 12, Big 10, Big 12, and of course the ACC. Why is that? Is it that the SEC is truly overrated? Maybe so. If we think they are overrated as a conference, THEN WHAT CONCLUSION IS REACHED? Meaning.....if one conference is ranked to high, then another conference or conferences must come up, correct? If the SEC is overranked or ranked to high, then what is the conclusion.

1. Is the SEC NOT the best conference? Is that your conclusion. From top to bottom, the SEC is not the best conference which means.......there has to be at least one other conference that is BETTER than the SEC from top to bottom.

2. Is the SEC EQUAL with at least one other conference? For example, from top to bottom, is the Pac 12 and SEC the same. Or is the Big 12 and Big 10 and SEC the same. Or......all they all the same in quality?

3. Is the SEC still the best conference from top to bottom, but maybe not by as much as the media or ESPN or polls hype it to be?

I read much about the SEC being this, Bama overhyped and beat by Ole Miss, or Auburn is way overrated and Florida can not be to good with the close call with ECU, etc......That's fine, but what is the conclusion? Who comes up if the SEC comes down? Few to little people EVER talk about this side of the equation. Want to know why? They have no answer for this side of the equation, or they are unhappy with what they know the answer is, so they choose to not discuss it.

Again I ask, why the hell do you care what the SEC does? Worry about the ACC. Don't let the trees block out the forest.
IS this the same thing as why the hell do you care what we worry about ? Just sayin............... Come Nov. there won't be any leaves to block out the forest.

SEC teams are going to beat up each other in conference play. Where as the Little 10 will probably only have 2 teams with a winning record at end of season.
SEC is not as strong as it once was.......thank goodness, I for one am sick of hearing about them. Nice to see Nicky and his merry men get beat.

From top to bottom the SEC is best conference. As for who is #2, it's probably between ACC and Big 12. If FSU, Clemson and VT can win the games they're supposed to win, then ACC will be #2.

FSU, Clemson and VT all have a chance to all finish high in polls, Just win and not lose to any inferior teams on schedule.

Remember last year, the loser of VT-Ohio State game won National Championship. It could happen again, if we can run table and get love from selection committee like Ohio did.

FSU, Clemson and VT all have a chance to all finish high in polls, Just win and not lose to any inferior teams on schedule.

Remember last year, the loser of VT-Ohio State game won National Championship. It could happen again, if we can run table and get love from selection committee like Ohio did.

LOL....I need to be smoking that wacky weed you are on HR!

That's not correct. In fact, they're deeper than ever.
I disagree, there was a day you had Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Georgia and Tennessee all capable of winning it all.....now you have 2-3 each year that have a legitimate chance....the likes of Tennessee, Florida and even Georgia until this season have all been way down. Now it appears Auburn has fallen off big as well. So I don't see how the conference is as good as it once was.

College football is only sport where one or two defeats can ruin entire season.

SEC is still best conference in the nation. Most other conferences have only 2 good teams. SEC has many good teams. Let Big 10, 12 or Pacify 10 teams play 6 SEC schools a season. They would not have anyone ranked in Top 25 at end of year.

When 2 SEC teams play each other, one will lose.

Well HR I think that is part of the problem. The SEC has maintained a certain mystique about it by playing cupcakes and then pounding on their collective chests when losing to one another that no one could play their schedule. While I will not argue that they are still the best conference but I will say the lead they have on other conferences right now is narrow and the margin is getting tighter. I think that the major power conferences should schedule each other for at least two OOC games each year. This will give a more balanced comparison between the leagues and give everyone a clearer picture of how a team is doing. Playing 3 cupcakes does not do this. By doing this, each team can play a cupcake or long-standing rival each year.

Well HR I think that is part of the problem. The SEC has maintained a certain mystique about it by playing cupcakes and then pounding on their collective chests when losing to one another that no one could play their schedule. While I will not argue that they are still the best conference but I will say the lead they have on other conferences right now is narrow and the margin is getting tighter. I think that the major power conferences should schedule each other for at least two OOC games each year. This will give a more balanced comparison between the leagues and give everyone a clearer picture of how a team is doing. Playing 3 cupcakes does not do this. By doing this, each team can play a cupcake or long-standing rival each year.
Well said swmrappell!!!

Teams should be limited to only one cupcake a season. As for OOC games, I would like to see to see ACC teams play Big 12 and SEC schools more.

The ACC looked nearly as good as the SEC and fared pretty well in bowls 8 months ago but now we look pretty sorry across the board. You're right in that their margin of dominance has decrease significantly from a few years ago when the two best teams were SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT