ADVERTISEMENT

football recruiting

hokieinc-ville

New Recruit
Jul 17, 2009
I see where Tech is currently ranked #10 in the country recruiting. I know its early in the game but I can't recall Tech ever being ranked that high before. Seems that Fuentes has build some inroads into North Carolina that are paying off. Hopefully he can be somewhat selective from here on in and get some more 4* kids and perhaps even a 5* or two to complete Tech's best recruiting class ever.

Perhaps a Big Ugly or 2 on both sides of the ball... maybe even flip one or two of those VA players who haven't yet seen that burgundy and orange light shining in NC these days...

I see where Tech is currently ranked #10 in the country recruiting. I know its early in the game but I can't recall Tech ever being ranked that high before. Seems that Fuentes has build some inroads into North Carolina that are paying off. Hopefully he can be somewhat selective from here on in and get some more 4* kids and perhaps even a 5* or two to complete Tech's best recruiting class ever.

Volume and Numbers are the reason we are 10th. Our class will finish 20thish when all done. No question, we are trending in the right direction with Coach Fu, but remember, our ranking at present is largely elevated due to the amount of total recruits we already have committed which is the real outlier statistically. Meaning.........at no point in VT football history have we had this large amount of verbal commitments in early July. This is the statistical meaningful portion that give the current ranking of 10th. We will not finish that way. Our current average recruiting ranking per player is 22nd.

Volume and Numbers are the reason we are 10th. Our class will finish 20thish when all done. No question, we are trending in the right direction with Coach Fu, but remember, our ranking at present is largely elevated due to the amount of total recruits we already have committed which is the real outlier statistically. Meaning.........at no point in VT football history have we had this large amount of verbal commitments in early July. This is the statistical meaningful portion that give the current ranking of 10th. We will not finish that way. Our current average recruiting ranking per player is 22nd.

I agree that current ranking is based on volume. But..we already have 4-4* recruits which has never happened this early . Add to that another 4-5 4*star kids and perhaps a 5* which seems quite possible and Tech will be knocking on the top 10. It will be fun to watch.

Reactions: Jackcrow

Yep. Might as well plan on these teams finishing ahead of us.
(48) Bama (6 commits)
(55) Florida (7 commits)
(58) Auburn (7 commits)
(61) UGA (7 commits)
(28) Michigan (10 commits)
(18) Texas (11 commits)
(13) USC (11 commits)
(12) ND (12 commits)

Maybe some of these as well.
(36) Michigan st (12 commits)
(33) Washington (9 commits)
(22) Nebraska (10 commits)
(15) TAM (13 commits)
(42) Ol Miss (10 commits)

While I think we are doing great by our own standards, there are still over a dozen 5stars uncommitted and close to a 100 4stars, of which we are only in on a handful.

[

Bingo. The 8 teams in your first column will finish ahead of us. Take 2 of the 5 you listed that "might" finish ahead of us, and that equals 10 spots. We are 10th now and as I eluded to earlier, we will finish around 20thish. But, that's very impressive in an of itself because....

1. In Coach Fu's first true recruiting class, he's landed a top 20 class at a program which was mediocre for the previous 4 years prior to him taking over and we are suffering and trending down and down in recruiting with the mediocre records, lack of trust with VT's offensive system across Virginia, Coach Beamer's likely retirement-pending retirement, etc. Bottom line, we should NOT have a top 20 class in Coach Fu's first recruiting year at VT with the variables that were in place above. That's incredible.

2. The real kicker that many need to be positive about, yet looking at it on the surface, it seems negative right now, BUT IT'S NOT. It's to our advantage in the future. I am talking about in-state Virginia recruiting. Folks, he is landing a top 20ish recruiting class that is the most non-state of Virginia filled recruiting class in the history of the school's football program. This means.....he can recruit. His offensive system is not turning off recruits like the past offensive system and Beamer. In state kids always come back home when you are winning, and when TRUST is gained by Virginia High School Coaches with our offensive system. That was severely hindered with our past system as I wrote about many times on this board. It was so severely hindered that the current generation of players in high school in Virginia (sophomores, juniors, seniors) that are offensive players had likely already looked elsewhere. It will take 3 on the field coaching seasons at VT to regain the trust in Virginia among many coaches for kids on the offensive side of the ball.

3. What the above means is.....we have a top 20ish class with mostly out of state talent, but top 20 recruiting largely equals 9 and 10 win seasons. Add to that a modern day offensive system, and you have the kids in Virginia stay home and we land top 10-15 classes regularly. Next year's recruiting class will be a top 15 class with a little more Virginia kids in the mix compared to this year, and the year after that (if Coach Fu is still the Head Coach) we are competing for our first top 10 class ever as the offensive firepower from the Tidewater area comes back home like it was in the year of 2000. If you can land three top 10ish recruiting classes, you are realistically considering a possible national championship. The future is bright for VT in football if we can hold on to this coach

Reactions: hokieinc-ville
Although ratings by the national recruiting services are a good general evaluation of a kid's potential, it is not the end-all final criteria that makes a kid and a team great.

Remember Urban Myer from Utah beat Bama in a bowl game with his 2 star players.

Remember Larry what's-his-name that took Miami to their last NC his 1st year after taking over from OC the previous years? He said his team's decline was probably because they were offering kids based on recruiting services, and not evaluating the talent themselves.

Who's to say our coaches don't go out and evaluate the players themselves and then offer the kids they want, and not care a bit about what the magazines say?

Last edited:
Reactions: LakeErieHokie
Although ratings by the national recruiting services are a good general evaluation of a kid's potential, it is not the end-all final criteria that makes a kid and a team great.

Remember Urban Myer from Utah beat Bama in a bowl game with his 2 star players.

Remember Larry what's-his-name that took Miami to their last NC his 1st year after taking over from OC the previous years? He said his team's decline was probably because they were offering kids based on recruiting services, and not evaluating the talent themselves.

Who's to say our coaches don't go out and evaluate the players themselves and then offer the kids they want, and not care a bit about what the magazines say?

What I would really like to see us recruit is a Bruce Smith type def.end who can come in and take over a game the way he used to. I know that that they are few and far between but its scary to think what Bud could do if he had a beast like that.

What I would really like to see us recruit is a Bruce Smith type def.end who can come in and take over a game the way he used to. I know that that they are few and far between but its scary to think what Bud could do if he had a beast like that.
There aren't very many Bruce Smith types out there, or Bama OSU, FSU and others would snatch them in a heartbeat.

I think that recruiting fast and early is a good strategy by Fuentes. Think of it - we are getting press for having Top 10 class right now. We all know it won't end that way and we are now limited in schollies left but still that helps make some kids who were on the fence commit that might otherwise wait. Besides - maybe we end up in the mid 20's we are not left picking the leftovers at the end of the recruiting season. To me this is a very positive sign.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT