ADVERTISEMENT

For those adamant about Bud being named HC

Yeah, I generally don't agree with the "hiring from within" method, especially when you consider the program is foundering. Bud's a good defensive coordinator (maybe even elite, though I think he's benefited greatly from Beamer's tutelage as well as our general style of play and level of competition), but he is entirely unproven as a head coach, a horrible recruiter, and has a stiff, abrasive personality that doesn't seem to be balanced by any kind of social know-how. Not really a good recipe for a head coach.

The only example of a successful assistant I can think of off the top of my head is Dabo Swinney. David Shaw is another, but Stanford had a strong infrastructure in place and was on the upswing when he took over. I don't really count Jimbo Fisher because he was basically hired to be the next head coach anyway rather than just an ordinary assistant.

Phil Phulmer replaced Johnny Majors at UT. John Robinson replaced John McKay at USC back in the 70's.

Give specific examples of where the longtime assistant who takes is really successful???? How about rarely to never.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I imagine that the list of longtime assistants who were or are as accomplished as Bud Foster is quite short.

There is nobody inside the program displaying the ability to keep a fair percentage our top in state players from going out of state to elite programs. At one time Beamer was doing a pretty good job of that but it trailed off and that's when our program's momentum trailed off. Of course that really starts with the head coach so that has to be Whit's number one priority in who he hires - the ability to keep our best in state players at home - and a track record that shows it. We need someone who's got the ability to go up against FSU, Florida, Ohio State, Penn State, ND, USC-E, Michigan, UNC (even though not elite, UNC has been a pain in Beamer's butt taking players out of our backyard), etc., and re-establish a decent share of recruiting wins again against all these poachers.

Give specific examples of where the longtime assistant who takes is really successful???? How about rarely to never.
Dabo was an assistant at Clemson for 5 years before he took over. Since their currently ranked #1 in the country, then I think that qualifies as really successful, although it's still too early to know if it will be long term success or not.

What I like about hiring from within with Foster is that he knows who is coaching and who is loafing and he'll separate the goats from the sheep on that final day.

Bud is no HC, excellent DC, lacks key skill sets for HC and a disaster would await any team that hire him as the HC.

For vt sake and for the accs sake dont go with bud. The conference needs a strong vt and it wont work. Look at what happened to us when mack brown left. We promoted torbush who has the same type personality as bud and the same public speaking skills. Worst hire we could have made. Loyalty only takes u so far. I think you can do a whole lot better than rr as well. Good luckbin your search.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT