ADVERTISEMENT

Former Wake Coach Provided Game Plan To Opponents

PACKed House

Hokie Hall of Fame
Oct 17, 2001
An investigation by the Wake Forest Athletic Department following the Wake Forest-Louisville football game on November 12th, found that former Wake Forest coach Tommy Elrod has provided or attempted to provide confidential game plan information to opposing teams, starting in 2014.

On Nov. 12, the Wake Forest football team lost at Louisville, 44-12. The Demon Deacons had a second-half lead, but things fell apart down the stretch, and the Cardinals blew them out. After the game, Wake coach Dave Clawson said he was worried that Louisville, perhaps, had
gotten its hands on some of Deacs’ game plan documents. Athletic director Ron Wellman said a member of Wake’s travel party had come across such documents while in Louisville for the game.

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2016/1...ame-plan-information-to-opponents-tommy-elrod

That guy should be banned from sports for life. and maybe even arrested.

If this had happened at some schools, I think justice would have already been served.

That guy should be banned from sports for life. and maybe even arrested.

If this had happened at some schools, I think justice would have already been served.
Not sure what you are implying when you say 'if this had happened at some schools justice would have been served'. Why do you think some schools would take actions and Wake is not? I think you have to investigate this completely and once all the facts come out, every school would take appropriate actions and Wake would too.

If I had a kid who is a D1 prospect, would I want to send him to Louisville:

Sex parties for recruits
Players getting shot at Heisman Party
Football using game plans unethically obtained
Low academic standings

If I had a kid who is a D1 prospect, would I want to send him to Louisville:

Sex parties for recruits
Players getting shot at Heisman Party
Football using game plans unethically obtained
Low academic standings
Louisville has nothing to do with this....the freakin announcer was supplying this info to any school willing to take it including VT and UVA.....how is this a Louisville issue.

Have to agree with HR on this one Hoos. Louisville should never had taken the plays. Further they should have reported the guy. I understand that college football is big money but ethics has to be a part of that.

Louisville has always been a scumbag school. I was listening to a radio show yesterday. That was some guy on there talking worse about Louisville than I do. This guy was telling how their AD covers up all the unethical stuff there. Louisville is a "win at any cost" school.
The NCAA and/or ACC should slam Louisville and issue a 3 year Post Season Ban in every sport.
The ACC looks more stupid every day for inviting those sleezebags into conference. They should have known better.

Reactions: PACKed House
Louisville has nothing to do with this....the freakin announcer was supplying this info to any school willing to take it including VT and UVA.....how is this a Louisville issue.

Totally disagree. The Louisville assistant and the Wake radio guy served together as co-coordinators on Wake's staff. When Louisville got the information...Petrino should have called Clawson and let him know what transpired so that he could take care of the situation. But that takes integrity and class...something Petrino obviously lacks. So instead they kept the information and are now saying that none of the special plays were run during the game so it is no big deal. Pure BS to cover his azz!

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Going to be interesting as to how ACC handles this. Based on history ACC will probably drag it out for years.

So all of you guys really believe the only team in 3 years to take the info was Louisville?.....LMAO

So I just flip over to ESPN and read that VT is the 2nd team to admit they got WF's game plan in 2014...guess I don't look so wrong now.

Reactions: genghis_card
Apparently, Louisville was only one that used it. ACC needs to call in Louey AD and ban every sport for 3 years from post season. Louey will always be an embrassment to ACC and NCAA. Dirty school.

Apparently, Louisville was only one that used it. ACC needs to call in Louey AD and ban every sport for 3 years from post season. Louey will always be an embrassment to ACC and NCAA. Dirty school.
You need to read ESPN......VT received game plan in 2014.

Ya gotta watch pointing fingers at others. That comes back to haunt you.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Well whoever received them should have been fired. Doesn't matter if we used them or not. It was wrong. I am assuming that it was an ex-coach at this point. I think Babcock is doing the right thing by coming forward publicly before it was found out. Hopefully that is the end of it for VT and that Beamer and Foster did not know anything about it. I want to believe they are stand-up guys and would not tolerate this. If so it would explain why it was never used because the assistant would be afraid to share or acknowledge he had it. If I were VT I would be interviewing this guy to find out if he shared it with anyone else.

Mike & Mike show had WF coach Dave Clawson on the show this morning at 8:15.

Details of Clawsons comments:
  • He thought highly of Elrod & included him in all team meetings, traveled with team, etc.
  • WF equipment guy found packets on the sideline the day before team arrived in Louisville.
  • Packets found showed new plays never used by WF before, new personnel groupings, new wrinkles in existing plays, and other info about offensive plays.
  • Investigation looked into all possibilities including hacking, WF staff giving info, etc.
  • He didnt intend for any other schools to get in trouble for this...wanted to make sure it stopped and didnt happen again.

Well whoever received them should have been fired. Doesn't matter if we used them or not. It was wrong. I am assuming that it was an ex-coach at this point. I think Babcock is doing the right thing by coming forward publicly before it was found out. Hopefully that is the end of it for VT and that Beamer and Foster did not know anything about it. I want to believe they are stand-up guys and would not tolerate this. If so it would explain why it was never used because the assistant would be afraid to share or acknowledge he had it. If I were VT I would be interviewing this guy to find out if he shared it with anyone else.
Obviously I don't know what happened, but one shouldn't be fired for receiving unsolicited info and that is all it probably was as I cannot image anyone asking for it. However, if he received the info and didn't notify the headcoach, then he has some explaining to do.

I cannot wait until I heard what that guy's motives were. Initial observations say he was getting back at new HC for not retaining him on staff.

We lost 6-3 dbl overtime. The way we looked we could have been in the huddle with them and I don't think it would have mattered. To win by cheating isn't winning at all. Hope it wasn't used by us.

Any coach that received info like this should have taken it to HC immediately. The right thing for HC and AD to do would have been to contact Wake Forest and let them know what had happened. I still believe more schools will be found out before it's over. What the guy did is awful and he deserves to be out of sports. But ethically any coach that received these game plans should have come forward as well. Feel bad for Wake, they are in a bowl and had a nice year but no one is talking about that.

Supposedly not but 4 schools involved...(L'ville, VT, Army, and maybe Indiana/Tulane can't remember). Supposedly Elrod was friends with someone on each staff and sent them the information. Army assistant might have a huge problem due to honor code. Does seem as though the underlying reason for this is that he was not retained as a coach by Clawson. Wake folks bent over backwards to get Elrod a gig that he was not really qualified for because he was one of them. Can't believe he stabbed them in the back.

It was Indiana. And I suspect there will be more as well, but it may be that the 4 mentioned were the "takers" and it is alleged Elrod attempted to give info to others that didn't take it.

In any case- I can't think of a punishment good enough for this guy. Can you get kicked out of North Carolina? Persona non grata in the state? I'm joking....mostly.

Any coach that received info like this should have taken it to HC immediately. The right thing for HC and AD to do would have been to contact Wake Forest and let them know what had happened. I still believe more schools will be found out before it's over. What the guy did is awful and he deserves to be out of sports. But ethically any coach that received these game plans should have come forward as well. Feel bad for Wake, they are in a bowl and had a nice year but no one is talking about that.
Couldn't agree with you more. This guy has serious integrity problem. I think he would have problems finding a job at every level. I would not hire him for any type of work.

WF should have a warrant taken out for his arrest. There has to be something on Code Books in NC that he can be charged with. The way offense played vs WF, the Deacons must have had our play book. Worst offensive performance in VT history.

WF should have a warrant taken out for his arrest. There has to be something on Code Books in NC that he can be charged with. The way offense played vs WF, the Deacons must have had our play book. Worst offensive performance in VT history.
But your Defense played really well....just sayin.

I see Louisville has suspended their OC for the bowl game.

On top of that, both VT and UofL have been fined by the ACC to the tune of a cool 25 THOUSAND dollars.

So not only does coach Petrino have to face the vaunted LSU defense by himself, we're also out Gatorade money for the trip. But look, in the interest of integrity of the game, these statements must be made. I support the verdicts that have been handed down, and trust we have all learned our lessons.

Let's play football.

VT was fined to help ACC save face and protect Louisville. VT did not use info provided while Louisville did. I guess ACC will punish VT for Louisville sex parties for recruits also. ACC needs to eject Louisville and their rogue athletic programs out of conference.

Reactions: genghis_card
VT was fined to help ACC save face and protect Louisville. VT did not use info provided while Louisville did. I guess ACC will punish VT for Louisville sex parties for recruits also. ACC needs to eject Louisville and their rogue athletic programs out of conference.

Pshaw! We just got here and we'really digging it.

<Puts feet up on coffee table>

Hey grab me a beer while you're up.

What makes you think VT didn't use the info....don't be blinded by your VT colored glasses.

You guys have lost your minds.. for 1.. if you were a coach at a major institution when your job is ALWAYS on the line and info was provided to you, you will take it and you will use it.. I personally think no team should be penalized because wake couldn't keep their own house straight.. As long as money was not used to buy the game plan and as long as the Wake guy gave the offer and not taken the offer than I see no problem. Game plans leak more than you think.. but its never intentionally leaked multiple times for no real reason.

You guys have lost your minds.. for 1.. if you were a coach at a major institution when your job is ALWAYS on the line and info was provided to you, you will take it and you will use it.. I personally think no team should be penalized because wake couldn't keep their own house straight.. As long as money was not used to buy the game plan and as long as the Wake guy gave the offer and not taken the offer than I see no problem. Game plans leak more than you think.. but its never intentionally leaked multiple times for no real reason.
I'll stick with the fact it is unethical to take this info knowing it is wrong....

Ethical thing to do is call head coach. But all in all I think Louisville was only team to use information leaked.

I'll stick with the fact it is unethical to take this info knowing it is wrong....

Ok guys.. keep thinking College Football is Disney.. it's HBO..Give me a break with the "ethical" stuff. This info was offered and you are crazy if you think it was not used.. lol Unethical to me would be a Lvil or VT coach calling the Wake guy and saying Ill give you $$$ for a game plan.. But if the Wake guy called the other coaches and says Wake is running so and so first 15 plays. You will use it.. and I would not blame you for using it. I am also a guy that thinks Tom Brady did not deserve to be suspended because the Refs did not do their job and check the ball before the game. The UNC scandal is unethical.. and still nothing has been done about it..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT