ADVERTISEMENT

Fuente getting outcoached again

Sometimes you have to open up the running game with passing.

Like another poster so well put it....you have to give him time to overcome 3-4 years of so-so recruiting.

Sometimes you have to open up the running game with passing.

Like another poster so well put it....you have to give him time to overcome 3-4 years of so-so recruiting.
Beamer's problem was negative recruiting against him when it was obvious he was going to retire soon. Fuente has no such problem. He is in his early 40's. If he can't recruit now, when will he?

Beamer's problem was negative recruiting against him when it was obvious he was going to retire soon. Fuente has no such problem. He is in his early 40's. If he can't recruit now, when will he?

Beamers problem was negative recruiting on the offensive side of the football since 2005. Tyrod was an anomaly at where our recruiting was on the offense. That trend downward started in about 2006 when it was clear we had an OC that didn't know what he was doing, wasn't well like by VA coaches in High School because of his arrogance, and Frank Beamer keeping him around. If you look at our recruiting back then, a class ranked 20th was actually a top 7 defensive class and a 34th or so ranked offensive class. From 2006, it was set in motion of what was to come and it caught up. It showed about 6 years ago when it was abundantly clear our talent was nowhere close to what it had been ten years before that.

Beamers problem was negative recruiting on the offensive side of the football since 2005. Tyrod was an anomaly at where our recruiting was on the offense. That trend downward started in about 2006 when it was clear we had an OC that didn't know what he was doing, wasn't well like by VA coaches in High School because of his arrogance, and Frank Beamer keeping him around. If you look at our recruiting back then, a class ranked 20th was actually a top 7 defensive class and a 34th or so ranked offensive class. From 2006, it was set in motion of what was to come and it caught up. It showed about 6 years ago when it was abundantly clear our talent was nowhere close to what it had been ten years before that.
I agree with you for the most part, but why can't we recruit DL's like we used to if we are able to recruit pretty well on the offensive side? It looks like the situation has completely reversed between recruiting offense and defense now.

I agree with you for the most part, but why can't we recruit DL's like we used to if we are able to recruit pretty well on the offensive side? It looks like the situation has completely reversed between recruiting offense and defense now.
Foster and Wiles are subpar recruiters - and this was tolerated by Beamer because of their excellent coaching abilities. As the previous poster stated, this state of affairs didn't occur overnight.

The one positive to Foster's retirement is that our new D Coordinator will be an automatic upgrade in recruiting ability. When Wiles retires, a major recruiting upgrade will occur.

Can't recruit on the defensive side anymore because after so many years of 7-5 seasons and medicrity, all sides of the ball, overall recruiting goes down. That's what has happened.

Can't recruit on the defensive side anymore because after so many years of 7-5 seasons and medicrity, all sides of the ball, overall recruiting goes down. That's what has happened.
It changed instantly for Clemson after all those years of 7-5 seasons. If this staff cannot change it for VT, we change the coaching staff. That is all I am saying.

It changed instantly for Clemson after all those years of 7-5 seasons. If this staff cannot change it for VT, we change the coaching staff. That is all I am saying.

Remember, NATI. Having a NATI in the trophy case, even if 30 years prior matters. It allows you to turn it around quickly in recruiting with the right people. Clemson had a NATI from around 1981-82ish. VT doesn't. Those 2005-2008 season where we were good enough on D to win it, but horrible with the O system started the downfall. We left a NATI on the field, or on the sidelines as OC, then in the pressbox. It matters now.

I think Coach Kill's main job is to determine why we can't run the ball. I also think Fuente has mis-managed the running backs, since day 1. Granted , injuries have been a factor, but we need to get away from "running back by committee". Name a #1, and feed him the ball.

I think Coach Kill's main job is to determine why we can't run the ball. I also think Fuente has mis-managed the running backs, since day 1. Granted , injuries have been a factor, but we need to get away from "running back by committee". Name a #1, and feed him the ball.
Agreed. But I think it is also because we really haven't had a back who was capable of 20+ carries and had the breakaway speed. McMillan certainly was that, but Fuente ran him off. I am hoping King is that back. He certainly has the speed. Hopefully he is durable as well.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Clemson changed because Dabo brought in Morris to run the offense and Venables to run the defense. Two young hungry football minds. All he has to do is be a charismatic motivator, say the right things and show up on Saturday.
VT currently has none of that. Fuentes doesnt have the assistants to develope the talent and let's be honest, what exactly has Kill ever done that justifies him being brought in?
Bitch about recruiting and youth all you want but we are a botched offside kick from being 1-3 against teams we recruit better than, have more depth than and should have destroyed by double digits.
And spare me the Cutcliffe accolades. Hes a respectable coach but nothing more. If he was he would be at a bigger football program than Duke.

Clemson changed because Dabo brought in Morris to run the offense and Venables to run the defense. Two young hungry football minds. All he has to do is be a charismatic motivator, say the right things and show up on Saturday.
VT currently has none of that. Fuentes doesnt have the assistants to develope the talent and let's be honest, what exactly has Kill ever done that justifies him being brought in?
Bitch about recruiting and youth all you want but we are a botched offside kick from being 1-3 against teams we recruit better than, have more depth than and should have destroyed by double digits.
And spare me the Cutcliffe accolades. Hes a respectable coach but nothing more. If he was he would be at a bigger football program than Duke.
Agree with you all counts Rondo except that botched offside kick was not botched. The penalty should not have been called and the ball should have been given to Furman. I frankly think Furman was hosed on that call. They deserved the ball and a likely win.

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
I'm I missing something on that last VT possession? Down 35 with only a few minutes left and Hooker still doesnt throw the ball? At that point is a pick6 really going to hurt?

I'm I missing something on that last VT possession? Down 35 with only a few minutes left and Hooker still doesnt throw the ball? At that point is a pick6 really going to hurt?
Agreed. I have seen some really strange decisions by the staff, like throwing a pass in the end zone against GT 2 years ago on a 4 and 2 with more than a minute left in the game at GT 25 yardline. All this when our QB was constantly gaining 3-5 yards against GT defense rushing the ball. We could have rushed, gained the 1st down, and then decide what to do from there. That was a head-scratcher for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT