ADVERTISEMENT

Go to hell Dook!!!

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

Originally posted by pckank1:

My statement is not absurd at all. UNC has not made a final four the past 5 seasons, and hasn't even made the Elite 8 the past 2, and the ACC has survived just fine. You can disagree with me, but it is not absurd of me to think that UNC will finish behind the 4 teams I listed this year when each of the past 2 years they have lost 10 or more games.
Whoa...we haven't made the Elite Eight in 2 whole years? I guess we're on the way out. Newsflash - making the elite eight is kind of hard. I think we should get a pass from not making it in the past 2 years. Did you really mean to type that ridiculous statement?

But for argument's sake let's say that not making the elite eight in 2 consecutive years is evidence of a program going downhill...what then do you make of duke's first game exits from the NCAA tournament 2 of the last 3 years and how come that doesn't appear to factor into your thinking when ranking them above the Heels for this coming season?

And what evidence are you using to suggest UVa will be good again? They lost their team leader in Harris who was also at worst their second best player. They also lost their best defender, second best leader and low post stalwart in Mitchell. They also don't have the benefit of the unbalanced schedule this year like they did last year. So tell me again what you're using to rank them above UNC.

Louisville will be pretty good - they always are. But they lost their leader in Russ Smith and frankly the only guy that other teams feared. Harrel is a good player, but he's a garbage man. He doesn't create his own offense. Teams don't need to gameplan for him. But Pitino is a good coach so they'll be ok.

Syracuse, one of the most overrated teams in the history of college basketball. Year in and year out they play an embarrassingly weak schedule, pile up a bunch of early season wins, jump in the rankings only to come back to earth when they start playing real teams. Excuse me if I'm not the least bit worried about them

Then there's the Heels, who bring back everyone on the team except a slightly underachieving James McAdoo. We have the best guard in the country, and better depth than pretty much any team in the nation minus UK. We did lose 10 games each of the last 2 seasons. The first was on the heels of a mass exodus when we lost 4 All American caliber players in Zeller, Henson, Barnes and Marshall. The second of the 10 loss seasons was the product of not having our best player at all throughout the season. We lost some early games we shouldn't have but it was because we were relying on players that weren't orginally going to play, let alone be integral parts of the rotation. We also had guys playing out of position. And if you remember correctly, we went on a 14 game win streak after getting things nailed down.

The media and coaches have UNC at #6 in the country and yet you are making a case that we are behind the other teams you mention. I guess it could happen. But I have a feeling you're just being a "hater" instead of basing your comments on something real.

You earlier said, "If UNC decided to leave the ACC, it would absolutely cripple the league." My point is the ACC would survive without UNC. No way would it cripple the league. No one program is bigger than its conference. Alabama could leave the SEC right now, and take their tradition and national titles with them, and guess what? The SEC would survive.
Ok, I'll give a little here. I'll take back my comment that it would cripple the league. But the financial ramifications of UNC leaving the ACC would be more far more impactful than if any other team left the league. The ACC would probably survive. But make no mistake, UNC is the most powerful school in the league. That's really not debatable. Our brand, our location, our history, our funding, our academic reputation (yes, even in the face of the "scandal"), etc make UNC the big dog. I'm not trying to measure dicks here. I'm just talking reality.
Your reign as "the big dog" is about to come crashing down!

royslam9ouqh9_zpsakjkhhtd.gif

As for UNC football, I have some questions:

Number of ACC Championships ?
Number of big bowls ? (Orange, Sugar, Rose, Fiesta)
Number of 10 win seasons ?
Highest ever ranking at end of season ?

granted UNC has a great basketball tradition, but in football, they have been just another team 99% of the time.

Originally posted by fathersonhokie:
Bragging on anything UNC related from the last 20 years is to advocate for cheating and dishonesty. Everything UNC has accomplished is an ill-gotten gain, achieved not by merit, but by artifice and immorality.
Yet, they still continue to brag about the two fake nc in the past 10 yrs.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:

granted UNC has a great basketball tradition, but in football, they have been just another team 99% of the time.
ACC titles? 5 (4 outright, 1 shared). Last one was in 1980.

Big Bowls? Sugar Bowls in 1946 and 1948. Cotton Bowl in 1949. Since VT joined the ACC, UNC has been to the Continental Tire Bowl, 2 Meineke Car Care Bowls, the Music City Bowl, the Independence Bowl, and the Belk Bowl.

10 win seasons? 7, with the last one being in 1997.

Highest ranking? #3 in 1948. UNC has not finished top 25 since 1997.

Durn, judging by some UNC folks, one would think they've been right up there with Alabama over the years.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:

ACC titles? 5 (4 outright, 1 shared). Last one was in 1980.

Big Bowls? Sugar Bowls in 1946 and 1948. Cotton Bowl in 1949. Since VT joined the ACC, UNC has been to the Continental Tire Bowl, 2 Meineke Car Care Bowls, the Music City Bowl, the Independence Bowl, and the Belk Bowl.

10 win seasons? 7, with the last one being in 1997.

Highest ranking? #3 in 1948. UNC has not finished top 25 since 1997.,;
Or, since before the next recruiting class's recruits were born. LMAO.
roll.r191677.gif

As for your last paragraph, I will simply stick with my opinion that the ACC would survive without UNC.
Most people can be fine without both kidneys, but I'd rather have a backup just in case.

Who first had the dream that UNC was a football power ? Was it Butch Davis, John Blake, Marvin Austin, Greg Little ?

Originally posted by PACKed House:

No it isn't. The only way that happens is if the school goes out of business - I mean completely ceases to exist. That's not going to happen. Even if the AD was given the death penalty - which won't happen - UNC will still have a ton of power. It may have to wait until the sanctions are over. But as soon as they were, UNC would move directly back to the front of the line. There's just too much money and power behind the school for them to stay down. I know you want very badly for things to be different. And in your next life, maybe they will be. But in this life wolfpecker, you'll always be second fiddle. It might not be fair. But life ain't fair.

In regards to our lack of football success, I never claimed that we were anything other than mediocre.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
Originally posted by PACKed House:

No it isn't. The only way that happens is if the school goes out of business - I mean completely ceases to exist. That's not going to happen. Even if the AD was given the death penalty - which won't happen - UNC will still have a ton of power. It may have to wait until the sanctions are over. But as soon as they were, UNC would move directly back to the front of the line. There's just too much money and power behind the school for them to stay down. I know you want very badly for things to be different. And in your next life, maybe they will be. But in this life wolfpecker, you'll always be second fiddle. It might not be fair. But life ain't fair.

In regards to our lack of football success, I never claimed that we were anything other than mediocre.
Who cares that UNC has power other than the corruption it has caused in investigations? What is your point bragging about that on a VT board where everyone despises UNC for cheating?

I disagree that UNC would still have a ton of power with the AD getting the death penalty. The "power" is mostly from bball prominence and millions of bandwagon UNC bball fans would switch allegiance to a school who is allowed to play. I know they won't receive the death penalty but I won't be satisfied unless the penalties include nullification of the two nc.

The NCAA will never give UNC the death penalty. By the time the UNC thing is totally over the NCAA might even forget there was a problem.
UNC is a very important member of our conference. We need them with us and we need them healthy.
VaTech is avery good FB program that currently sucks. FSU,Miami, & Clemson,are very well known in FB .
ACC is a great BB conference with a lot of very good teams period.
Short version is we're a good conference with a lot of work to do.

Originally posted by leeanderthal:
The NCAA will never give UNC the death penalty. By the time the UNC thing is totally over the NCAA might even forget there was a problem.
UNC is a very important member of our conference. We need them with us and we need them healthy.
VaTech is avery good FB program that currently sucks. FSU,Miami, & Clemson,are very well known in FB .
I understand the sentiment, but disagree.
We don't "need" UNC to do anything other than to follow the same rules everyone else does.
If UNC is down, there are plenty of schools to step up and take their place in the middle of the pack.

They've earned some very very serious sanction. I doubt the death penalty, too.

UNCheat will not get death penalty but they deserve more than a smack on the wrist. As far as the ACC, we would be just fine without the Tarholes "brand". We are a Basketball Conference and we have 4 other teams ranked in the top 25 not counting the cheaters. The ACC is one of, if not, the best Basketball conference with or without the Holes.....

Originally posted by fathersonhokie:
Originally posted by leeanderthal:
I understand the sentiment, but disagree.
We don't "need" UNC to do anything other than to follow the same rules everyone else does.
If UNC is down, there are plenty of schools to step up and take their place in the middle of the pack.

They've earned some very very serious sanction. I doubt the death penalty, too.
Agree on them following the rules and needing a hard kick in the rear. I have lost so much faith in the NCAa over the last 10 or 15 years. Still I feel they are an integral part of our conference. There are other schools that would have less effect if they left us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT