ADVERTISEMENT

Gus Malzhan

Dec 11, 2020
Auburn is wanting to get rid of him, maybe they will reduce the buyout and he will come cheap. I think he would be the best man for the job, that is if we fire Fuente. What does everyone else think.

He would be an upgrade over Fuente, but I am not sure by how much. Also, can he recruit? The next coach has to be a great recruiter or he would not be successful. That's one thing I think Shane had going for him. Evidently we told him to look in a different direction.

Last edited:
He would be an upgrade over Fuente, but I am not sure by how much. Also, can he recruit? The next coach has to be a great recruiter or he would not be successful. That's one thing I think Shane had going for him. Evidently we told him to look in a different direction.
I think you are right. Shane definitely seems to be a very good recruiter. The question for me, as a Carolina fan is, whether he can hire good Offensive and Defensive Coordinators. If he can identify good Coordinators to go along with his recruiting ability, then we would have struck gold. If not, then we will be hiring again several years from now.

If you let Fuente go, you guys ought to look at Billy Napier or Jamey Chadwell. Good luck.

Auburn is wanting to get rid of him, maybe they will reduce the buyout and he will come cheap. I think he would be the best man for the job, that is if we fire Fuente. What does everyone else think.
First. In my opinion, firing Fuente after this year is a mistake. I am probably in the minority, but Fuente should have at least through the 2021 season. I do agree with the assessment that it is a circle we're in where the losses are symptomatic of the recruiting which is symptomatic of the coaching which is then back around to the losses. However, I believe Fuente has earned at least one more full year. I think more positive results need to occur in those three areas of Coaching, recruiting (I like to think retention here as well) and wins. I feel seven wins is Fuente's worst case scenario for next year to "earn his keep" so to speak.

Reactions: raninab
I would not choose Malzaln. IF we made a change (which we shouldn't) I think choosing a better in-state recruiter is paramount.

First. In my opinion, firing Fuente after this year is a mistake. I am probably in the minority, but Fuente should have at least through the 2021 season. I do agree with the assessment that it is a circle we're in where the losses are symptomatic of the recruiting which is symptomatic of the coaching which is then back around to the losses. However, I believe Fuente has earned at least one more full year. I think more positive results need to occur in those three areas of Coaching, recruiting (I like to think retention here as well) and wins. I feel seven wins is Fuente's worst case scenario for next year to "earn his keep" so to speak.
Fuente is a terrible coach and even worse a recruiter. You will be with me this time next year and wished he had been fired after the 2020 season. Every year that we wait to fire him, the program becomes more and more irrelevant. When he is finally fired after 2021 season, our program will be a total mess that will take years to rebuild.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT