ADVERTISEMENT

Hokies Basketball 2022

pahokie77

Signee
Jan 7, 2008
Would anyone like to discuss Hokies basketball? The women are ranked 9th and are undefeated. The men are not ranked and are 7-1. Play 18th ranked UNC on Sunday. Both solid teams. Not sure why no one posts anything.

First, kudos to Georgia Amoore, with her triple-double. It probably was the best basketball game I ever saw a college player have.

Both teams are exceptionally well-coached. All the players have bought into the system of being unselfish, playing hard-nosed D, and doing what it takes to get a good shot off. Both also have become the destination of choice from the transfer portal of players that like how we play and fit in well but we don't seem to take so many transfers that our scholarship players become disgruntled.

I used to hate the transfer portal but I have liked the way our basketball coaches have brought in talent to complement the teams. I hope Coach Pry can utilize the portal in the same way because in the past we lost more than we gained.

Nice wins yesterday. Beat two blue blood teams in Tenn (women) and UNC (men). I think the women are good enough to make the elite 8 this year. The men, I am not sure how good they are. It is a down year overall in NCAAM. I have not seen any team that looks like they are final 4 quality. Maryland looks surprisingly good (my other school after VT). Texas looks good also. Hokies need to beat Dayton (a team that is not as good as I thought they would be). Then for the most part it is ACC. The only team in the ACC that scares me is UVA (They are looking really good this year). Maybe this is Bennett's best team yet.

The men fought off an athletic, hustling Oklahoma State team today and did not fade in the end under full court pressure like in the past. Coach Young uses the bench well in keeping our men fresh and our subs play their roles exceptionally well. Each game a different player steps up to make the difference. Padula is the best young point guard I have seen since Bobby Hurley. He can step it up when he needs to.

Yes another good win for the men. VT men now ranked #23. Speaking of point guards, does anyone know the status of Rodney Rice? Will he be available this year?

Don't know the status, but he's getting over an injury. If he can't contribute this year maybe he can redshirt and keep his full eligibility.

Bad loss last night. Not sure how we lost since we had fewer turnovers, more rebounds and a better shooting %. However, I understand we never had a good flow on offense. Did not see the game.

BC played physical D and banged our boys all game. They did take our 3 point shots away from us most of the game. Early on we drew offensive charging calls but the refs got caught up with supporting the more aggressive team and the whistles fell silent. For example, Poteat was tripped by a BC player trying for an inbounds pass and nothing was called. I thought coach should have drawn technicals several times to make a point for the one-sided officiating.

Ok, after losing 3 games in a row, I am not sure this team is as good as I thought before Christmas. We have to win the close ACC games and we are not. We should be 4-0 (or at worst 3-1). A record of 1-3 in the ACC is not acceptable. Not sure what the problem is but, VT has to win the close games to win the ACC. We have a lot of work to do to make the tournament.

Maybe we'lll turn things around in the 2nd half of the season again. Catoor will get back, and maybe Rice can show us his stuff soon. We can play better D when our boys are rested more and good D and more movement on O comes from fresh players.

Maybe. Good game between Clemson and Pittsburgh this afternoon. Clemson 5-0. Who would have predicted that. ACC is wide open this year. Who is going to rise to the top?

2-7. Wins over Duke and UNC. Lost to everyone else. Still I like beating Duke. Need to continue this win streak.

We need to basically win out to make the dance (or just win the ACC tourney - like last year). A lot of work to do.

The ACC tourney is our only chance. 11-9 in the ACC will not get us to "The Dance". Too bad. We looked good before starting the ACC.

NIT and season over for Hokies. Not one to remember. We have a lot of work to do to get ready for next season. Still have the women to pull for. I hope they do well as a number 1 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT