ADVERTISEMENT

How do we finish the season?

swmrappell

All-Conference
Apr 25, 2008
I think that at best case we win 6 games and make it to a bowl game. We could very well not go bowling if we don't change things right away.

I see us losing to Duke and Miami. Duke is playing really well right now and have played us tight before.

I see the only win as Virginia.

The rest are toss-ups in my mind. If we win 3 of those 5 tossups then we go bowling. That will be a tall order. I can easily see us losing to Pitt and UNC. Boston College, NC State, and GT could all three beat us. If that is the case then we possibly only win 2 out of the 5 tossups and don't go bowling.

What does everyone else think?

We should not lose again this season, if we come to coach and play, and the refs call games correctly.

We should be better than anyone left on schedule. I see no Alabama, Georgia, Baylor, nor Ole Miss on there.

We should be better than anyone left on schedule. I see no Alabama, Georgia, Baylor, nor Ole Miss on there.
Hate to be your wake up call HR but teams don't have to be in the top 5 to beat VT right now. You are no where near as good as you would like to believe. Good news for you is the Coastal isn't great as a whole and your schedule isn't that tough, no FSU or Clemson coming....

I say we'll finish 7-5, play in a bowl game, and go 7-6 for the season. There will be more pressure on the AD to do something. Of course Frank will come back next season saying he feels great. Here, it is worth mentioning that that is also what Joe Pa said just before he was kicked out, and died shortly thereafter. Now I am not saying Frank is about to kick the bucket in the very near future, but he certainly has lost it. I see the same traits in him that I see in my 83 years old dad in that both are in their own world now and neither one sees things that are obvious to everybody else. I can put up with Frank's fantasy land talk for one more season, but I really hope he is pushed out after.

The thing that puzzles me is, I recall when if VT was ahead or tied at halftime, one could just about chalk up a win. We would make necessary adjustments at halftime, and win the game. We no longer do that. I also recall when the Special teams were good for a TD most games. We had best STs in the nation. We have lost that advantage. And I recall when we always had one running back that could get 100 yards most games. Now we rarely have anyone get over 5-7 carries.

I am realistic. I think we should win them all and GT, MIA, and Duke are coin flips. If they play well and lose im fine with that. I think the majority of the fan base is just tired of losing to teams we have no business losing too. OSU was not really a shock but ECU should never beat us, let alone 2 in a row. I know we all think our recruiting is ok. but its not, it is catching up with us.. We are battling teams like ECU, Duke, Uva for mid level recruits while FSU, BAMA are easily plucking our ELITE state players. Got to keep these elite recruits home.

Paterno was fired by his employer for his inactions regarding the Sandusky scandal.

I say we'll finish 7-5, play in a bowl game, and go 7-6 for the season. There will be more pressure on the AD to do something. Of course Frank will come back next season saying he feels great. Here, it is worth mentioning that that is also what Joe Pa said just before he was kicked out, and died shortly thereafter. Now I am not saying Frank is about to kick the bucket in the very near future, but he certainly has lost it. I see the same traits in him that I see in my 83 years old dad in that both are in their own world now and neither one sees things that are obvious to everybody else. I can put up with Frank's fantasy land talk for one more season, but I really hope he is pushed out after.

VT L's are to Miami, GT, PITT
I'm not seeing GT as being a loss. We are a bad matchup for them for whatever reason, and last year's win basically required an epic, all-time meltdown from our QB to gift-wrap it to them.

Pitt traditionally has our number much like we traditionally have GT's number. They like to play smash mouth with our small defense and our coaches seem like they are shocked by this every time it happens.

Miami looks pretty decent this year, and so does Duke (we sometimes have problems beating teams who won't help us do it). Of late, we've also lost at least one game a year to one of the worst teams in the league. You can pick which bottom feeder will be this year's WTF game for us, but there's almost guaranteed to be one in there somewhere.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
We need to make some changes which should have already been made but right now with the loss of Fuller for the season I would say 6 wins would be great. Hope we can do it.
I believe that UVA is playing better right now then we are. Yeah they got trucked last game but look at their schedule. I think we can beat them but they are not a terrible team.
Transition periods are pure hell.

Paterno was fired by his employer for his inactions regarding the Sandusky scandal.
Agreed. My reference of Joe Pa was that he was so old that he was no longer aware of what is going on around him or in the program, and couldn't grasp the ramifications of his in-actions. A younger more alert coach would have been much more likely to do what was needed at that time.

Wow, that is bold.....just don't see it with your schedule.

On the real I think this is a 7-win team, but we have at least one more "wtf" loss due us at home, and I don't look at any of these games and think of them as 'gimmes,' TBH. Don't forget we're missing our All-American CB now for the rest of the year on a defense that is already bad, and our starting QB is also out. We could lose to Duke at home or to UNC. I don't see us winning at BC. Their style of play frustrates the hell out of us, and even against lackluster BC teams we've never really done too well in Chestnut Hill. @Miami's always a toss-up. Golden's offenses usually do very well against us, but they're usually soft defensively. Soft enough for us to win down there again? Dunno. London will find a way to lose. That's about the only game I'm confident about winning. @GT is a loss. Our personnel on defense is not something we will be able to overcome, IMO, and GT will stick it to us. We are that bad and that thin. Don't think they'll steam-roll us, but they'll grind out a slow, tough and methodical win.

That's three games I feel confident we'll lose, with everything else being a toss-up to me. I think a losing season is more realistic than you realize, though I do admit the schedule is weak. The only problem is, our style of play (or general incompetence) keeps games close, so victory and defeat both seem to be balanced on a razor's edge. We'll see if our OL can hold strong and we can gut out some close ones, because I think we're going to have to with our lack of talent and depth on defense.

We should not lose again this season, if we come to coach and play, and the refs call games correctly.

jennifer_lawrence_ok.gif

The refs cannot help the problems at Va.Tech football right now. One one win the rest of the season and that is UVA. O got tickets to the Duke game. Just hope they play better then.

It just depends on what happens with team and personnel management. There are some teams on our schedule we have the talent to beat but as it stands right now I would not be very enthusiastic with our beating any of them.

OK so we lost to Pitt. How about Friday with Wolfpack? I like the Wolfpack in this one the way they are playing. We have had their number but I don't feel good about this one.

We have got to get out of the conservative mode, and ignore Field Goals and Punts, and start scoring touchdowns.

And if we need 7 yards for a first down throw the ball 7 yards not 6.

OK so we lost to Pitt. How about Friday with Wolfpack? I like the Wolfpack in this one the way they are playing. We have had their number but I don't feel good about this one.

I have no idea what to expect from our team. Ramos fumbled that ball at the five on the long pass play and it went downhill from there. Im not going to the game. Our high school is undefeated and playing our biggest rival Friday night so it's a huge game for us. I'm s high school ball freak and that comes before college on Friday night. Hope we have a good close injury free game. Good luck.

We should win the Turd Bowl against the Boo Hoos. Other than that it will be a struggle. It's the 70's all over for both programs.

Our crappy OOC schedule (which I bitched about being absolutely embarrassing) had us ill prepared for Louisville. Plus our play calling was baffling and too conservative. Maybe the OC scaled it back due to the crappy conditions. Whatever it was better get straightened out quick or will leave Lane with an ass whooping. For our stud player Samuels to get zero carries was ridiculous. Especially considering that our #1 rusher the past 3 seasons (who was our power back) got booted off the team 3 days before the game. Samuels is the leading receiver on our team and caught 5 passes for 75 yards w/1 TD last week. He outruns the DBs which is astounding for a kid that is 5'11 and 240, but he is productive as hell running the ball. Averaged 9 yds/carry last year, and this year has rushed 12 times for 103 yds and 5 TDs. Running north/south in the mud last week should have been a given. :confused:

I'm not seeing GT as being a loss. We are a bad matchup for them for whatever reason, and last year's win basically required an epic, all-time meltdown from our QB to gift-wrap it to them.

Pitt traditionally has our number much like we traditionally have GT's number. They like to play smash mouth with our small defense and our coaches seem like they are shocked by this every time it happens.

Miami looks pretty decent this year, and so does Duke (we sometimes have problems beating teams who won't help us do it). Of late, we've also lost at least one game a year to one of the worst teams in the league. You can pick which bottom feeder will be this year's WTF game for us, but there's almost guaranteed to be one in there somewhere.

You guys are the bottom feeder now ...

Well I think we do lose to ourselves sometimes. Self-inflicted wounds that beat ourselves. We are not that great so we don't need to help opposing teams that way.

At home for Christmas with No Bowl game is likely. It is possible that we squeek out a couple of more wins, two max.

We should win all our remaining games. It's not like we still have to play Alabama, LSU and Baylor.
Didn't you say this before the Miami game as well?? You are delusional, on paper Duke is obviously better than VT, as is most of the ACC and country. I use to love coming over here and flaming you guys when you were good, now its just sad.

We should win all our remaining games. It's not like we still have to play Alabama, LSU and Baylor.
I believed early on that VT was the team to beat in the coastal.....but after watching, fact is this team isn't that good on either side of the ball. I do think the offense will continue to get better now that you have settled on the freshman RB. I don't see you winning the rest of your games but you will get your share....and beating UVA will be the easiest game you have left. Man will I be glad when they fire London.....

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
The defense puzzles me. It was supposed to be really good. Granted Fuller got hurt, but we still play 11 men on defense.

Maybe we're so conservative on offense, that the defense allows first downs to keep offense off the field

The defense puzzles me. It was supposed to be really good. Granted Fuller got hurt, but we still play 11 men on defense.

Maybe we're so conservative on offense, that the defense allows first downs to keep offense off the field
Good one, HR6. I think we will have a hard time winning three more and I hope like crazy I'm wrong. This team is just too undisciplined. We've been out own worst enemy the last several years, we just seem never ready to play, like we haven't watched a bit of film on the other team. Duke, UNC,GT, and BC are going to be tough. I think UVA has a real chance unless Brewer settles back in and McMillian doesn't get hurt. And our DBs are lost, we always have one on the field that the other team picks on the whole game. I saw the Sports Illistrated football college preview a couple days ago and they had us and GT fighting it out for the Coastal. And Clemson something like the 23rd pick in the country. Boy, we're they wrong.

This team certainly hasn't lived up to expectations. Who knows what would have happened if Brewer had not got hurt in the Ohio game. Heck we might even be 7-0 now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT