ADVERTISEMENT

I think the cat has everybody's tongue.

I said something negative about our team and the thread got deleted. Anyways, this year is "Pay Back Year" by all the teams we usually beat so just look forward to next year now.

I said something negative about our team and the thread got deleted. Anyways, this year is "Pay Back Year" by all the teams we usually beat so just look forward to next year now.
Maybe that's why the board is on life support. It would be hard to discuss this football team without saying something negative and you would just be being honest. At any rate next year may not be great either if we don't find some ACC level defensive line players in the off season. Guess Fu will have to hit the JUCO recruiting trail hard.

Maybe that's why the board is on life support. It would be hard to discuss this football team without saying something negative and you would just be being honest. At any rate next year may not be great either if we don't find some ACC level defensive line players in the off season. Guess Fu will have to hit the JUCO recruiting trail hard.
He better hit the JUCO trail fast a lot of the good ones are already being recruited hard and I’m sure a lot have made there choices. I’m not convinced JF is a Power 5 offensive guru that people made him out to be. You know Bud will be fine with his young players but what makes anyone believe the offense is better next year....

JF is hitting the JC ranks hard. With a better D and some 4 star OLinemen that can play early, me thinks we'll be OK next year.

JF is hitting the JC ranks hard. With a better D and some 4 star OLinemen that can play early, me thinks we'll be OK next year.
Me also thinks we'll be ok next year, not because of JuFu, but because of Bud's D will be back to the normal great. But, do you recall JuFu telling Bud that his defense does not have to play perfect games anymore because the team will now have an offense? Well, he lied. We have all now seen that when Bud D isn't perfect, we lose all the games.

Last edited:
I don't think we are going to "be okay" by next year. Better maybe, but frankly speaking, this defense can't get any worse. Hopefully we can make enough improvement so the opposition isn't scoring on nearly every possession like its doing now.

We got pushed around by ODU before the injuries started to multiply. Then our lack of any depth was severly exposed by GT, BC and Pitt.

To me this looks like a minimum 2-3 year project before we get anywhere near having the defense we are used to having. Its hard to say how long exactly. I guess it depends on if our problems are more related to youth and injuries as opposed to a decline in talent. By next year we'll have a better idea about that. I don't think its Fuente or Cornelson. They took Frank's recruits and set offensive records and nearly beat Clemson in the ACC championship game. They didn't just suddenly forget how to do that. I would not be surprised to see some off-season changes to some position coaches though.

I totally agree with HR6. Our starting RB is a former walk-on. A small/slow running back that I think even I can chase down at my age. THAT is a big part of the problem..... we don't have Power 5 caliber running backs. Nearly all of our RB are small/slow backs who came here because we were the best offer they had, or are not built to play RB position at this level, like Fox and Beck. Until we start recruiting high 4-star and 5-star running backs, we are not going to win 9 to 10 games a year like we did during Beamer's heydays. This staff is among the worst recruiters in all of ACC. The sooner we ditch them the better.

I don't think we are going to "be okay" by next year. Better maybe, but frankly speaking, this defense can't get any worse. Hopefully we can make enough improvement so the opposition isn't scoring on nearly every possession like its doing now.

We got pushed around by ODU before the injuries started to multiply. Then our lack of any depth was severly exposed by GT, BC and Pitt.

To me this looks like a minimum 2-3 year project before we get anywhere near having the defense we are used to having. Its hard to say how long exactly. I guess it depends on if our problems are more related to youth and injuries as opposed to a decline in talent. By next year we'll have a better idea about that. I don't think its Fuente or Cornelson. They took Frank's recruits and set offensive records and nearly beat Clemson in the ACC championship game. They didn't just suddenly forget how to do that. I would not be surprised to see some off-season changes to some position coaches though.
You just said they took Franks recruits and set offensive records...so you see the recruiting is a big problem with the new staff. Until they get a coach that can recruit it might get worse...especially on offense.

You just said they took Franks recruits and set offensive records...so you see the recruiting is a big problem with the new staff. Until they get a coach that can recruit it might get worse...especially on offense.
No, they've only had two full seasons to recruit. That's not nearly long enough to evaluate recruiting classes. In about two more years we can start looking at that but right now is way too early.

Remember that Frank was having 6 win seasons in his last few years, and Fuente took Frank's players and his own QB and produced a first season that won him COY in his first year.

This staff is among the worst recruiters in all of ACC. The sooner we ditch them the better.

See my reply to Hoo19. We are still in the middle of a coaching change. If you really want to see recruiting and the program flame out for the foreseeable future, try making another head coaching change now while we are in the middle of the first coaching change.

See my reply to Hoo19. We are still in the middle of a coaching change. If you really want to see recruiting and the program flame out for the foreseeable future, try making another head coaching change now while we are in the middle of the first coaching change.
That is exactly the purpose of these boards....to have these passionate discussions. You make a really good point, but I am not basing my comments on just W's and L's. I knew these coaches can't coach when I saw the 4th and 2 call against GT last year when, with over a minute left in the game, JuFu went for a long pass in the end zone that costed us the game instead of a sure 2 yard pass to to RB or a TE, or a QB run. That play was described by my friend Hoos as a 'head-scratchier'. No halfway decent coach would call that play. I could give you many more examples of why I don't think this staff has what it takes it to win at Power 5 conference school. But I guess they get a couple of more years to more me wrong.

In the first QTR so far against Miami, first drive, mostly passing and we score a TD. The next two drives, we run, run, incomplete pass, and punt. If the passing game in the early downs was moving the chains, why did we go away from it?

That is exactly the purpose of these boards....to have these passionate discussions. You make a really good point, but I am not basing my comments on just W's and L's. I knew these coaches can't coach when I saw the 4th and 2 call against GT last year when, with over a minute left in the game, JuFu went for a long pass in the end zone that costed us the game instead of a sure 2 yard pass to to RB or a TE, or a QB run. That play was described by my friend Hoos as a 'head-scratchier'. No halfway decent coach would call that play. I could give you many more examples of why I don't think this staff has what it takes it to win at Power 5 conference school. But I guess they get a couple of more years to more me wrong.
I'm not thinking about Ws and Ls either, I'm more thinking about our dreadful uncompetitive defense this season more than anything else, and nobody's blaming that on Bud being a bad coach. We all know he's a great coach. I agree that play you mentioned was a head scratcher, and I know there are more, particularly thinking about some situations where he brought in QP. But what would be said if those plays had worked? Every coach calls plays the fans disagree with, but if the coach wins the fans still think he's a good coach. I can't dismiss a coach with a great body of work as not a good coach. I know Fu has a great body of work. So I might disagree with some of his play calls but don't think that makes him a bad coach. (LOL as I say this Willis throws a pick on our own goal line). But as you say Fu is going to get at least 2 more years anyway, as he should.

I am not seeing what you are seeing. I see Miami is out coaching this offensive coaching staff every way possible. After the first drive, not much why? Because once Miami made defensive adjustments, this staff became clueless as to how to counter that.

On top of that, after Willis takes a beating and comes back to the sideline, JuFu is screaming at him. Poor kid is getting killed all game long and the the coach is giving him an earful. This is really shameful.

I am not seeing what you are seeing. I see Miami is out coaching this offensive coaching staff every way possible. After the first drive, not much why? Because once Miami made defensive adjustments, this staff became clueless as to how to counter that.
Okay. So what would you have done to counter Miami's defensive adjustments that our staff didn't try to do?

About the D.

As ususal we lost players to graduation, but this time around we also had to starters kicked off the team, and had 2 go pro early. We only have 2 seniors this year and 1 of those is playing a new position. Half the D is what would be 2nd team on a normal year.

Another year in the weight room and a infusion of junior college bodies will help a lot.

Reactions: mrjolly01
Okay. So what would you have done to counter Miami's defensive adjustments that our staff didn't try to do?
Did you watch Oklahoma State/West Virginia game? Okla State was down 31-14 at the half, they made the adjustment at the half, came back and won 45-41? Asked after the game what they did at half time to turn things around, the Okla State coach said "we went to a formation we have not used all season long, we went to 4-wideouts, and changed some of the blocking schemes that took them (WV) by surprise and they could not counter that very well.". I expect JuFu to do something like that. Okla State was not a great team either, in fact, they were 5-5 for the season and needed to win this game to become bowl-eligible. They figured out a way to beat No. 9 team at home. They also beat a then top 10 Texas team earlier in the season! How? By changing their offensive schemes. That is what good coaches do.

Last edited:
About the D.

As ususal we lost players to graduation, but this time around we also had to starters kicked off the team, and had 2 go pro early. We only have 2 seniors this year and 1 of those is playing a new position. Half the D is what would be 2nd team on a normal year.

Another year in the weight room and a infusion of junior college bodies will help a lot.
I don't disagree one bit. You are absolutely right about the defense, but the offense has no reason to be so bad, no reason other than the coaching staff.

Did you watch Oklahoma State/West Virginia game? Okla State was down 31-14 at the half, they made the adjustment at the half, came back and won 45-41? Asked after the game what they did at half time to turn things around, the Okla State coach said "we went to a formation we have not used all season long, we went to 4-wideouts, and changed some of the blocking schemes that took them (WV) by surprise and they could not counter that very well.". I expect JuFu to do something like that. Okla State was not a great team either, in fact, they were 5-5 for the season and needed to win this game to become bowl-eligible. They figured out a way to beat No. 9 team at home. They also beat a then top 10 Texas team earlier in the season! How? By changing their offensive schemes. That is what good coaches do.
I did not watch it, but by this reasoning then West Virginia and Texas coaches are not good coaches?

No, their offense scored 41 points, they gotta be good, just not as good as Okla State's. :)
Well then, Fuente set offensive records his first year at VT, so he has gotta be good too.

You see, no matter how you present this argument, it has a circular error. ;)

No, they've only had two full seasons to recruit. That's not nearly long enough to evaluate recruiting classes. In about two more years we can start looking at that but right now is way too early.

Remember that Frank was having 6 win seasons in his last few years, and Fuente took Frank's players and his own QB and produced a first season that won him COY in his first year.
I just don’t see anything that makes me think JF is the right coach....without Bud I’m not sure he would have kept the streak going as long as he has. The best decision he has made was keeping Bud....they should have Bud sitting on the Bench where FB is standing, he carried his butt for many years as well.

I just don’t see anything that makes me think JF is the right coach....without Bud I’m not sure he would have kept the streak going as long as he has. The best decision he has made was keeping Bud....they should have Bud sitting on the Bench where FB is standing, he carried his butt for many years as well.
The thing that gets me is that Miami hasn't been good this year, but they beat us with ease. I agree that we're going to have to go "Big 12" with the O. Willy's strong point is accurate longer passes, but we must use the pass to set up the run, if we run at all. Watch UVA's O Friday,they throw the ball quickly and are efficient. If we can play two good halves, we can be close with most teams. We have good young receivers, but no solid Power 5 running backs. I wonder if we could have used Trevon this year at back?

We start every game good on offense, then get bogged down.

We need a RB who can gain 1200-1500 yards a season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT