ADVERTISEMENT

I think VT should start the 2015 season ranked at #25!

kent76

Signee
Dec 28, 2009
I know, I know, but hear me out first!

UNC started the 2014 season ranked after finishing with barely above .500 the year before.

Our injuries probably cost us 2-3 wins this past season as we lost many of our games by less than a touchdown.

The best teams in our conference has major losses at key positions and we return almost all our key players from the past season. Add to this, we have some dynamic players joining a nucleus of very good players which will add the type depth we have not seen in Blacksburg in years.

Georgia Tech finished the season strong and should be the favorites in our divisioin next season; however, we all know that Virginia Tech was the better team on the field when we played. We blew that win as we did in so many games last season.

Ohio State is coming to Blacksburg and will face a confident, talented, and much deeper team than the team that beat them at the Horseshoe last year. This game is much bigger than both teams realize right now! The hokies has nothing to lose and everything in the world to gain. This may be the second biggest game in our history behind the title game with FSU. A win by the hokies will erase our reputation in big games forever as we would have our two biggest wins ever in back to back seasons.

The hokies ended an incredible win streak by the buckeyes at the Horseshoe in 2014 and will have the chance to add to that with a win over the defending national champions in 2015. Also, a win by the hokies will put them nicely into the national championship playoff picture. I would imagine a win over OSU would help us leapfrog GT prior to us playing them. I think we will be favorites in all our games the rest of the season.

Finally, I think VT will make Lane Stadium an intimidating place for our opponents once again. Our 2016 matchup with Tennessee at Bristol could be much bigger if we take care of business and VT may be mentioned as a potential national title candidate. The recruiting impact may take us into the next decade if we win both games!

A part of me actually hopes that VT is unranked, as long as OSU is ranked # 1. An upset win at home against a # 1 team would be extremely sweet, especially since we have never beaten a number one before.

Kent I really admire your optimism. Can't really say I agree with everything though. Next year we will start off with very serious concerns at O-Line and QB. Just like last year.

Ohio State has a great coach who is going to do everything in his power to prove that our victory was a fluke. You saw that he took his third string QB and won the big 10,CFB Semis and Finals decidedly. GT should be better next year with their no of starters returning.
We may or may noy be better but until we finally solve our recruiting coma we will never be in a position like we were not too many years ago.

The key for VT is staying healthy. If we stay healthy we should be able to beat Ohio and GT, no matter what the anti-VT crowd thinks.

Originally posted by kent76:
I know, I know, but hear me out first!

UNC started the 2014 season ranked after finishing with barely above .500 the year before.

Our injuries probably cost us 2-3 wins this past season as we lost many of our games by less than a touchdown.

The best teams in our conference has major losses at key positions and we return almost all our key players from the past season. Add to this, we have some dynamic players joining a nucleus of very good players which will add the type depth we have not seen in Blacksburg in years.

Georgia Tech finished the season strong and should be the favorites in our divisioin next season; however, we all know that Virginia Tech was the better team on the field when we played. We blew that win as we did in so many games last season.

Ohio State is coming to Blacksburg and will face a confident, talented, and much deeper team than the team that beat them at the Horseshoe last year. This game is much bigger than both teams realize right now! The hokies has nothing to lose and everything in the world to gain. This may be the second biggest game in our history behind the title game with FSU. A win by the hokies will erase our reputation in big games forever as we would have our two biggest wins ever in back to back seasons.

The hokies ended an incredible win streak by the buckeyes at the Horseshoe in 2014 and will have the chance to add to that with a win over the defending national champions in 2015. Also, a win by the hokies will put them nicely into the national championship playoff picture. I would imagine a win over OSU would help us leapfrog GT prior to us playing them. I think we will be favorites in all our games the rest of the season.

Finally, I think VT will make Lane Stadium an intimidating place for our opponents once again. Our 2016 matchup with Tennessee at Bristol could be much bigger if we take care of business and VT may be mentioned as a potential national title candidate. The recruiting impact may take us into the next decade if we win both games!
All we need is for the oline to start the year like they ended it, and better qb play. Give us an oline AND a surprise super talent at qb, and we are way better than #25. We've got a lot of depth at qb to pick from this year so you just never know.

Originally posted by SunnyBeachWave:

All we need is for the oline to start the year like they ended it, and better qb play. Give us an oline AND a surprise super talent at qb, and we are way better than #25. We've got a lot of depth at qb to pick from this year so you just never know.
Sunny, I agree with you.

True but it's asking a lot. We have to replace two O-line starters and our O line at the end of the year was still not good at pass protection. I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just saying this is going to be tough to do.

I felt for Brewer last season. The guy took one heck of a beating. You cannot have a good passing game without protection.
We just have to gel early.

You mentioned returning starters. We also return the HC, OC, TE's Coach

You mentioned our returning starters and we have much back. It's key to also point out we return the same offensive state led by Head Coach Frank Beamer, the OC, and the former OC and current TE's Coach, B. Stinespring. I am not making a comment one way (for or against) the staff above, but.......just sayin.........they return.

My conclusion....Virginia Tech will flirt around 25th in the country all year. Because of the lack of O, we got 3 losses coming; therefore, 9 and 3 at best. Because of the great D, we have 7 wins coming. Therefore, 7 and 5 at worst. So......lets call it....8 and 4 and finishing the regular season at roughly 25th in America.

Promise you, because of OSU's title and loss to VT, VT will be ranked

Remember this folks and NEVER forget it no matter how hard you do not wish it true.........in the USA, even in 2015, the North drives the media, ALWAYS. Call it Northeast if you want, but the powers that be in the media and corporate heads of ESPN are from the North. They are going to be shown love. That will not change. How to better explain the VT loss last year by OSU? Well, you will here the talk of..."VT may have lost 6 games last year, but do not let that fool you folks, they were extremely talented and fast, yet very young, and lost close games, and they return about 17 starters, and this team is better than you think." That will be the media strongpoint when talking about VT as VT relates to the OSU matchup and promise, they will have us ranked. They are going to ensure that if the same thing were to happen again, at least OSU would be losing to a ranked opponent.
This post was edited on 1/15 8:31 PM by lucustookis

Re: Promise you, because of OSU's title and loss to VT, VT will be ranked

Lucus, you nailed it!

That is exactly what I think will happen with an early ranking.

Originally posted by leeanderthal:

True but it's asking a lot. We have to replace two O-line starters and our O line at the end of the year was still not good at pass protection. I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just saying this is going to be tough to do.

I felt for Brewer last season. The guy took one heck of a beating. You cannot have a good passing game without protection.
We just have to gel early.
No doubt but it could happen. I'm just saying, if this Lawson kid or Durkin or Ford shows up at game time like a Cam Newton, Winston, or that Miami qb this year even, we could have a really good year. Having an accurate qb with scrambling vision to get the oline over the hump the first few games would be spectacular.

I'm sure Bud Foster would think so. He's really had a time with running qbs lately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT