ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: 1.20 Recruiting Latest***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, just wanted to touch on a few topics and a few things I've come across. As always, ask any other questions you guys have and I'll try my best to answer.

First off, you guys have been talking all week about Snowmageddon and it definitely sounds like it will be that. Coming a little early this year, since it's been Valentine's Day weekend the past two years for the big snow storm here in the NRV.

I spoke with my friends at WSLS-NBC told me a little while ago that they're forecasting 18-24 inches of snow in the NRV that will begin at about 5 am on Friday and go through late Saturday afternoon. What that means for the Hokies is that all the visitors they have planned for this weekend might not be able to make it. Any of the guys flying, which is most of them, will have to fly into Roanoke and if there's as much snow as being called for, that airport will likely be temporarily shut down.

I've now asked a few of my VT staff sources, who told me that they're now scrambling to figure out if there are ways around it. They also told me that it's pretty much impossible to get guys in before 2 pm if they come on Friday. So I asked, 'Can anyone come tomorrow night?' That's honestly something that they're looking into. If they can get a few in tomorrow night, by the time they leave Saturday night, the snow should have stopped and they could get out a little easier. But it's not just that easy. It's hard for a lot of guys and their families to change plans on such short notice and also not as easy to miss two days of school. But I do want to stress, it is something being looked at as a possibility. I'll let you guys know if that happens with anyone.

One of the guys I'm hearing more and more of is Palatka (Fla.) linebacker Eron Carter. I'm told the Hokies' staff loves him. I've been told, "There's something about him. He's a winner and his film is really good." He was supposed to visit WKU this weekend and VT the next, but his mom inquired today about visiting this weekend instead. With the weather coming, VT has told him that's not possible. So keep an eye on that one.

Another name I'm hearing more and more of is Trinity Christian (Fla.) three-star linebacker Dominique Ross. He unexpectedly committed to North Carolina in June, but has opened up more of late. I'm told that Miami is making a strong push here. But Ross' father is pretty much running this one and it looks like he won't be going to Miami. He's scheduled to visit this weekend, but we'll see what happens there. It also helps the Hokies that sophomore WR Isaiah Ford has also been working this one. He played with Ross at Trinity Christian. defensive coordinator Bud Foster is scheduled to visit Ross next week.

I know I posted an INsider last night, but it's sounding more and more like VT commit Tavante Beckett might be leaning more towards Maryland. He visited there this past weekend unofficially. A lot of people like to tie him in with his teammates, Rivals250 LB Jaquan Yulee and 2017 Rivals100 DB Devon Hunter, but I can tell you the bigger factor is Beckett's buddy and former teammate at Oscar Smith (Va.), Keyvone Bruton, who committed to Temple last summer. With the Terps scrambling in some ways, they're trying to work other angles and this is one. I can tell you that assistant coach Zohn Burden and Foster are scheduled to have an in-home visit tomorrow with Beckett as well as Yulee, so we'll see if Beckett thinks differently then.

I can also tell you that the Hokies haven't quite given up on Scotland County (NC) three-star linebacker Jonathan Smith. He's been committed to UNC since August. But assistant coach Charley Wiles paid Smith a visit at school today and also went to check in with 2018 running back target Zamir White, who will likely be a Rivals100 kid when those rankings are released. I think Smith will likely stick with the Tar Heels, but will be another interesting one to watch.

More updates coming when available, but wanted everyone to be as up to date as possible on some noteworthy recruiting news.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.