ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: 11.18 VT Coach Search Update***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, wanted to post a few tidbits I've come across late last night and this morning.

First off, it's looking like North Carolina coach Larry Fedora was simply trying to increase his pay at UNC, when he or someone in his camp had a feeler put out for Virginia Tech. I spoke with Andrew Jones, publisher of our UNC site, TarHeelIllustrated.com, who told me that the odds of Fedora leaving are slim to none.

First off, Fedora is in year four of a seven-year deal. There's been more and more talk within the UNC administration, after the Tar Heels' 9-1 start and probably in light of Fedora sending feelers out, that his contract will be reworked. Jones said he's been told by multiple sources that Fedora's base pay could nearly be doubled, from around $2 million right now to closer to $4 million. The kicker also is that the administration is planning to raise the pay of the assistants as well.

As far as sanctions go, Jones said he's fairly certain, from sources, that the women's basketball team will be hit hard, but that it's looking more and more like football and basketball will be safe. Basketball could have some type of probationary period, but looks like football will be in the clear. That can always change, but that's the feeling there right now.

And as far as Fedora goes, he's from College Station, TX and Jones said he has his eye on the Texas A&M job or possibly Texas. Kevin Sumlin isn't on the hot seat just yet, but it sounds like Sumlin is also entertaining going to the NFL if that opportunity came along. Fedora was apparently offered the Tennessee job before Butch Jones got it, but Fedora turned it down. So Fedora to VT is looking like a very slim to none chance.

Working to get more on Houston's Tom Herman and will add to this thread when I do, but wanted to make everyone aware that the school is quickly trying to put together a lucrative package to make him stay. According to the Houston Chronicle, the school's board of regents is meeting tomorrow and one of the primary items of business is "to delegate authority to the Chancellor to negotiate and execute an amendment to the contract of the head football coach at the University of Houston." Details aren't clear yet, but it sounds like Herman, who at $1.35 million per year is already the highest paid coach in school history, will be making at least $2 million. That's not to say Herman won't still be looking, as even VT would pay much more, but Houston is certainly working to keep him and also get private donors to help pitch in as well.

I'm told that one important note to keep in mind in VT's search is that president Tim Sands will be "very involved" in the hiring process, as I'm told by one very key source. This is a contrast from former president Charles Steger, who was kept aware of previous coaching hires, such as James Johnson and Seth Greenburg, but wasn't directly involved. Sands seems to be much more interested in and knows the value of sports. So something to keep in mind when looking at candidates.

Finally, I'm working to get more details on Memphis' Justin Fuente, but it sounds like right now, he could be the closest thing to a front-runner. There could be a bit of a bidding war and I'm not sure how far AD Whit Babcock will go down that road, but Fuente is looking very appealing. Missouri looks to be the other top contender right now, but Fuente will likely be mentioned in other hires as well. Still a long way to go, as nothing formal has or will take place until the week after Thanksgiving, but Fuente arguably is in the best shape right now.

Reactions: Creekness
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.