ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: 11.5 VT Coach Search Update***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Alright guys, as I've said before, I'll do my best to deliver the info on what's going on. It might not be daily, but I'll post as soon as I get hold of it.

First off, Virginia Tech's administration has told some higher-ranking boosters that the first two weeks of December is when the coaching search will kick into gear. VT has already secured available planes for those two weeks. But that makes sense, since coaches won't be able to be talked to until the regular season is over, which for most, will be Nov. 28, while a few more will be Dec. 5.

The other interesting news I've received is that the Hokies staff, which planned to be out recruiting this week, cancelled all their planned trips in light of the news with coach Frank Beamer. And I'm even told that many of the coaches on staff have informed others that they don't plan on returning and are looking for other potential jobs already.

I know a lot of you got worked up over a plane appearing on Flight Aware yesterday that flew from Athens to Blacksburg. As I said in another thread, that WAS NOT Georgia coach Mark Richt, or any representative of us, including his agent, who is based out of Birmingham. That plane was a single engine plane that belonged to a law firm in Georgia.

I will say, Richt will likely be a candidate. I say likely because he's still the coach at Georgia and that remains the case. But it's no secret, the uneasiness with the fans and boosters down there. I reached out to Radi Nabilsi and Anthony Dasher from our Georgia Rivals site, UGASports.com, earlier today. Both said they believe it's not a matter of if, but when Richt is fired there. Dasher specifically told me he doesn't believe he'll be back as UGA's coach and told me he, "I think he’s about to say f*** it." Sounds more and more like Richt wants and needs a change of scenery. Whit Babcock has been a fan for Richt's for sometime, so when Richt does become available, this one will have some merit to it.

Also, for right now, Pep Hamilton, who was just fired Tuesday night by the Indianapolis Colts as offensive coordinator is NOT a candidate with the Hokies. Babcock wants someone with head coaching experience, which Hamilton doesn't have. Things change and at some point, Hamilton could look better for Babcock, but right now, that's not the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.